Representing yourself and your skills honestly in your resume

I'm applying for a job for which I am well qualified in all respects except for computer skills. They specifically list knowledge of a set of computer programs with which I am familiar, but were I asked to create a document using these programs I'd have to plod through until I figured it out.

There are courses in the fundamentals of these programs offered at the university near me starting next month. I have signed up for them, but I need to turn in my resume tomorrow. The question is: would it be dishonest to list, under computer skills, knowledge of these programs knowing that in a couple of months, I will have that knowledge? What if I said I had knowledge of these programs in my resume and then, if granted an interview, I clarify all that I have said here?

I don't want to lose out on an opportunity for an interview because I lack knowledge of these programs as of today.

Can you say you are competent in the skill set as is? If not put familiar with it, and then update your resume when you can to reflect the change. I think you could also look to address it in the cover letter as your initiative would be seen as a positive.

january2011

Agree with both posters, put "familiar with..." and on the cover letter/in the interview say that you are brushing up your skills.

• Author

Thanks for the replies. It seems the consensus so far is to list the programs under my computer skills with the preface, "Familiar with...." And then to mention my intent to take the courses in my cover letter.

My concern is that then I'm drawing unnecessary attention to a weakness in my qualifications. Isn't the cover letter only supposed to cover strengths? I don't want to make something an issue that quite possibly isn't. The list of qualifications for this job includes the item, "Experience with ____ programs." All of the other qualifications on the list I can give specific examples of past accomplishments that demonstrate how my expertise in those areas benefited my employers. I don't want to take space in my cover letter--space that could be used to highlight these examples--drawing attention to my one lack.

I just also don't want to be dishonest, or raise questions about the truthfulness about my other qualifications. If I got an in-person interview and said, "I want to be sure to let you know that as of today, I have only minimal familiarity with these computer programs. But I'm enrolled in courses in each of the three programs that are to begin next month and will give me a solid working knowledge of the programs as well as samples demonstrating my knowledge." And then mention that I'm a quick study and as proven by ____ example from my work history, I'll become highly adept at those programs in a short time.

Would that work?

january2011

Can you get some experience with these programs, e.g., through e-learning sites, and produce working examples before the courses start?

Depending on the nature of the job, "experience with" and "familiar with" could mean the same thing in the mind of the interviewer and employer. A lot will also depend on who is processing the shortlist. If they've been instructed to only put forward people who clearly indicate that they have working knowledge and examples of these computer programs, then you are probably going to be SOL. It also depends on how many have submitted their resumes for this position. If the response is small, the employer might be happy to go with people who are strong on most of the requirements and who are willing to plug any gaps via training.

I think that you need to go with an approach that you feel comfortable with. If you don't want to highlight your lack of working knowledge in the cover letter, then don't do it, but be ready with an answer if they bring it up at interview.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

• Like 1
  • Author

Well, I'll tell you what the programs are, and maybe you or someone could give me an idea of how fast the learning curve is with them. It's Adobe Creative Suite; the job description specifically details InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. In previous jobs I've worked as part of a content development team where I was responsible for the text and I'd work closely with designers, and IT in the case of websites. So I'm familiar with the kinds of options these programs provide, and some of the limitations, but if I were asked to design a logo or assemble a brochure I'd probably take hours to complete what could take someone with knowledge of these programs only an hour or two, tops.

My good friend has the latest versions of these programs on his computer so if I spent the next week tinkering around, how far do you think I could get? Say, if my goal was to put together a sample brochure?

A big asset for me is that I already work for this company in a very different role and so they at least know me as an employee. My experience prior to work with this company deals with much of what I'd be doing in the job role for which I'm applying. I'd hate for my lack of knowledge in these three programs to keep me from getting a job at which I think I'd really excel.

january2011

So essentially, you'd be going from a copywriter to an artworker or graphic/digital designer?

If it's a small company that doesn't have tight deadlines, who would be willing to give you time to develop your skills, then I'd say it's possible to make the leap. But it also depends on the type of work you'll be producing. If you are producing work for local businesses, where the quality tends to be lower, then I'd say you have more leeway to "get good." If it's for national or international companies, then I'd say you'd be setting yourself up for failure.

Unless you have some skills in illustration or graphic design already and are fairly IT literate, ideally with experience of other similar programs, I don't think you can learn CS in a weekend. At least not to the level required for someone whose full-time job it is to produce image-based assets. Going from text to image is a big leap, in my opinion. Especially if you don't have any background in colour or design.

I'm sorry if this is discouraging. You could just apply for the job anyway and see how it works out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. In the meantime, if this is an area you want to get into, then carry on with the courses and additional learning and practice.

• Author

It's not quite that. Copywriting was a part of it; and design is a part of the job for which I'm applying. But the role overall is different.

In one previous role, I was a managing editor who acquired and oversaw production of 100+ books at a time. As part of that, I wrote back cover descriptions, marketing blurbs, and oversaw the book cover design process as well as the text and image layout within the books' pages. There was a Design team that put together the elements, but I chose and procured permissions for the images and artwork as well as served as final approval of the book design--cover and interior. I also worked with a marketing team that assembled frontlist catalogs, brochures and flyers and this was a collaborative process as well, with my final approval. So I have the eye and the understanding of what is made possible through these programs; I just never had to do that work myself. I don't have the sense that the level of design understanding required for the job I'm applying for is equivalent to that of a graphic designer; given it's only a fraction of the total job role I don't think that would be a realistic expectation on their part.

I guess this is something I can ask in the interview. Which brings me back to that Catch-22--getting the interview while being upfront about my lack of skill in this one area.

january2011

From experience, there's a big difference betweeing overseeing something and implementing it, particularly if a certain level of technical competency is required.

Having said that, I think you should just go for it. Spend as much of your free time familiarising yourself with CS as you can. There are bound to be some training resources online that can take you through some useful exercises.

If it is not a substantial part of the job role, then they might be happy to go with someone who is a good fit in other areas and who already knows the company. Use "familiar with" as previously mentioned and then just bring it up at interview if you're questioned about it. Use the cover letter to focus on the elements where you are a good fit.

• Like 1
TheFinalWord
The question is: would it be dishonest to list, under computer skills, knowledge of these programs knowing that in a couple of months, I will have that knowledge? What if I said I had knowledge of these programs in my resume and then, if granted an interview, I clarify all that I have said here?

I don't want to lose out on an opportunity for an interview because I lack knowledge of these programs as of today.

If you have never used the software and list it as a skill, that is dishonest. Personally, I consider "use" to mean having used said software to complete a professional project; just turning on the software and clicking buttons does not count as "use" lol If you have used it to complete a project, but are out of date with software, you can list it.

On my CV, I have listed all of the varying statistical software and computer languages I am familiar with. What I recommend is to list the software/packages along with a 3-tier familiarity level: minimal (completed at least one professional project with the software), moderate (completed two or more projects with the software and have a descent handle on software operations), extensive (completed multiple professional projects and have a mastery of the software, i.e. you could teach a class using it). IMHO, if you have never used the software in a way that you can demonstrate tangible results, I think it is disingenuous to list it as a skill.

Basically, you should have a sample project on hand at the interview to corroborate the familiarity level you list (if you are a recent college grad, you could show sample assignments; if you are a professional in the field, you should have a portfolio with samples of your work). For example, if you put minimal, you should have some rationale what minimal means and a complementary project to back up your logic. If you put minimal and they ask what you know, you do not want to say, "oh I just played around with it and am taking a class next month". You want to have a sample project that you oversaw (if you are a manager), or a project you created with the software. Otherwise, it is better to leave it off. It will look worse to pad your resume than to be honest about your current skill set.

For two I have listed as minimal, I have (in-training) next to the status. For the others I have listed as minimal I do not have in-training as I have no intention in increasing competency in those software packages. You can clarify in the interview about the training courses you are taking (if they ask; you do not have to volunteer your weaknesses).

PS: I am not as familiar with your field, but I believe most graphic designers use their resume as a showcase for their talents. So if you do not use InDesign to create your resume, it make speak for itself. Not too familiar with the way jobs work in that field, so this may not matter much. I have used Photoshop. I got the impression that it was quite an in-depth software that you have to spend many hours to truly master.

Edited by TheFinalWord
  • Author

Thanks a bunch, guys. Really helpful. Based on your advice, here's what I think I'm going to do:

--Leave Adobe Creative Suite off my resume altogether. It's true: if I don't know it and am only minimally familiar with it, how can I list it as a skill without calling into question my listing of other, actual skills I have? So putting it on there is fundamentally dishonest.

--Highlight my actual skills that are pertinent to this job position in my resume and cover letter. Mention additionally examples of my initiative, work ethic, and learning aptitude to demonstrate how I have the follow-through to turn any weaknesses into strengths.

--I just made an appointment at the computer center of the local college to play around with Adobe CS for a few hours tomorrow.

If not having Adobe CS anywhere on my application materials keeps me from getting an interview, it's hardly the end of the world. What I have gained from this venture even at this early stage is that I now see how I need to update my computer skills over the coming months.

Thanks again for your help :-)

• Like 2

Resumes are for accentuating what you can do. You don't necessarily have to mention what you can't do; just don't misrepresent what you claim to be able to do.

Standard-Fare

I was going to suggest that you just leave the subject alone entirely, so I'm glad to see you also came to that same conclusion yourself.

Saying you have experience in these programs would be a lie, which could backfire...but addressing the deficiency on your resume or cover letter would unnecessarily draw attention to a weakness when you want to be highlighting your skills.

I have no clue what your prospects are for this job, but if you got an interview I'm sure the topic would come up, at which point you could explain the nuances of your situation.

Not having one or two of a full list of qualifications should never be a dealbreaker for applying for a job. In a lot of cases those qualifications are almost an idealized list, and most applicants won't be an exact match.

But in your case, I don't have a good idea of how vital these computer skills would be for this job. If a majority of the work relies on these programs, you may be out of luck.

adamaiden844

Just calm down and try to learn these courses from internet, now a days everything is available on google so just prepare yourself. You can have these courses online it will be helpful to you.