Thank you e mail bounce back

Last Friday I had what I thought was a great interview at a compay I have always wanted to work for. I interviewed with three different managers who were all very nice and informative. I immediatly sent each an email thank you expressing my appretiation and interest in the position.

Well, I just got a bounce back on one of them this evening. The email address was correct but it seems that there was some sort of server error. I sent that interviewer another email with the original note basically saying that I wanted to make sure that he knew how much I appreciated his time. He was the most laid back of the three so I hope he takes it in stride and chalks it up to technology.

I was a hiring manager and I know if I recieved something similar that I would see it as good follow up and someone who wants the position but obviously my opinion comes with some bias.:)

Thoughts?

I'm assuming you tried several times, in which case you could just get a postcard and snail mail it and just mention that you tried emailing but for some reason it bounced back. The postcard might even be regarded as something special and out of the ordinary, so it could even work to your advantage if you do it soon enough.

• Like 2
  • Author

It was just my initial send that seemed to get hung up in cyberland. I re-sent with no issues this time. I was thanked for my communication follow through.

I recieved an email from the dept. director today saying that they are in the candidate review stage and that I should know something by mid next week. I am so increadibly anxious but I know that I need to keep looking for other options in the meantime.

• Like 2

Yeah I ironically got a thanks but no thanks email after reading this thread. I wasn't expecting it, but it was courteous of them to aknowledge me by name.

• Author
I have a little secret for you

"most people already decide they want you before you send a thank you letter"

Precisely why I have kept looking for other opportunities. I have a "meeting" with another company on Monday.

I left the interview with a good feeling and I had some great internal reccomendations but it comes down to fit I guess. You never know with these things. I decided to just try and let it go as best I can. Easier said than done.

• Author
Yeah I ironically got a thanks but no thanks email after reading this thread. I wasn't expecting it, but it was courteous of them to aknowledge me by name.

I'm very sorry, that stinks. How long have you been looking?

I am hoping for the best but preparing myself to let it go if it does not work out.

• Like 1

I've been looking on and off. Fortunately, I am currently working...so it's not a huge deal and I can be picky. Just haven't had anything that pays more or is at least full time come my way yet. Hopefully more doors will open when I graduate college this summer.

Keep trying. Don't give up! And thank-you notes are always good. You did the right thing. Even if you don't land this job, that positive impression is likely to help you sometime in the future, in ways you least expect and never see coming. It creates "good karma" for yourself. Always a good thing!

If you are in college you are supposed to be working full-time. Am I missing something here?

What do you mean "if you're in college you're supposed to be working full time?"

I never had a job when I was getting my degree.