They don't hire you If you haven't worked in a while?

Do they think i'm a disgrace to life, a ball of garbage?

I'm basically unemployed and yeah I'm not really looking now. Cause i've tried and i failed.

But anyways, i see all these office people with fancy jobs.

i have not worked in 3 years.

If i go back to working, i won't get hired just because I haven't worked?

Is that how employers see you? That just because you fail to work for a long period, that that means you are not good for them?

I'm saying this cause one time when i tried applying to a job and they saw i had a big gap. They said no thank you. your resume looks good but you have big gap.

and they didn't want to give me a chance anymore.

Thing is, so what if i have a big gap? What if i wanted to relax for a while?

Yeah it's ridiculous...especially in this economy where it SHOULD be understandable a lot of people are going through rough times and having difficulties finding a job. For me, I've usually been able to get away with saying I was a full time student during the gaps I didn't work...or you could also say you were care taking or had some sort of family issue. Think of something that would be valid reasoning.

• Like 2

I understand your frustration and yes it is unfair for employers to view an unemployed person negatively especially when they don't have all of the facts. I've experienced that myself and its horrible. However, there are ways around this and it is really all in how you present the situation. What were you doing during the 3 years you were out of work? Were you caring for an aging parent? Bonding with a new baby? Recovering from an illness or surgery? Trying to start your own business? Earning a degree or certification? Traveling around the world? Volunteering for a cause you're passionate about? Surely you were doing something productive that in some way employers would find appealing. I think what most employers want to avoid is hiring someone who isn't motivated or ambitious. If they think you have spent 3 years sitting around on your thumbs they'll assume that is the kind of employee you'll be and that isn't a worthwhile investment for them.

• Like 4
Eddie Edirol

QG employers see your gap and assume its because you were too lazy to look for work. Which you were, and youve said it here. Employers dont want people without ambition, and you have admitted that you have none whatsoever. Your 3 year gap basically looks to an employer like you have nothing to contribute, which you dont, as youve admitted in the other thread that you are fine with an entry level job, and collecting a paycheck. Employers want someone who wants to think and help the company. When they see people who have no experience like you, it means you never tried, and no one wants that. When they see gaps or employment for just 3 months, it looks like you only got the job to quit and collect unemployment.

• Like 5

I'm basically unemployed and yeah I'm not really looking now.

If you are not really looking, why on earth should an employer give you a chance over somebody who genuinely wants the job?

You want to relax? You have been relaxing for three years. Isn't that long enough?

Stp feeling sorry for yourself. Stop feeling you are something special.

• Like 6

Yes, its certainly been my experience that the best time to get a new job is when you are currently working.

I think employers are looking for a signal relating to 'drive'. Even in depressed economies there is _always_ work available, it just may not be work you'd prefer to be doing or work at the same pay or level you are qualified to work at.

At my work I'm in a position of hiring and firing. I get to go through resumes and cut down applicants to short listing and interview. I have to be honest, if I'm looking at applications from say 100 engineers for a single job, those who are working get top listing... and it doesn't matter if they are flipping burgers currently or delivering junk mail .. the fact that they are driven enough to keep working, even outside their chosen profession, scores high marks.

• Like 2
Eddie Edirol
If you are not really looking, why on earth should an employer give you a chance over somebody who genuinely wants the job?

You want to relax? You have been relaxing for three years. Isn't that long enough?

Stp feeling sorry for yourself. Stop feeling you are something special.

Yeah seriously, There are TONS of people that are more qualified to get the same job you are applying for, that are working now, AND will show ambition.

• Like 1
fortyninethousand322

So...what would be a helpful suggestion for somebody who has been working on a small business for a year, but otherwise no paid work for 2 years?

Are people like OP just up the river without a paddle?

• Like 1

Just to clarify, are you saying you haven't done ANY work for the past three years? You didn't even work in retail or anything like that? Or you just didn't have work in your specialized skill area? There's a difference, I think.

Big gaps are bad for a couple of reasons. As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, they assume that anyone can find at least one job within a three year period - the fact that you haven't suggests that you're not interested in work. These days, employers can be choosy. When they have a stack of resumes, are they really going to go with someone who may or may not really want to be there, or are they going to go with someone who has a track record of consistent effort and labor?

Another concern is trainability. A person who has been out of the labor market for the better part of three years is going to get rusty - that's just a fact. Employers want people whose skills and understanding of workplace expectations are current. Depending on the field, a person can start becoming obsolete in as little as six months out of the field.

My advice is to take a job - any job - that will bring in income. Maybe do some things on the side on your own like selling things on e-bay or something like that. Mow your neighbor's lawn. Anything you can do, do it, and do it as well as you can.

49, in response to your question, I think that if you're working on a business, you can put that on your CV. Of course the business needs to be incorporated and legitimate, but as long as that checks out, that should work. People try entrepreneurship and fail all the time. Employers know that.

• Like 2
taking any job is bad for your mental health

I don't agree actually. I have always found that having an income, no mater how small, builds my self esteem and _adds_ to my mental and overall health.

• Like 1
You just don't take any job, you have to like something about the job

Everyone's different here I guess. I've done stuff that I wouldn't dream of doing normally just to keep an income. Delivered pizza, sold random rubbish over the phone (telemarketing). Didn't like anything about these lower paying jobs, but the overriding need was to remain able to maintain myself financially.

I have a pretty specific professional skill, but when the chips are down and jobs in my field not free flowing ... I'll do anything, anything, to keep the wolves from the door.

• Like 1

I have to agree with PhillyDude on this one. Both my husband and I have taken jobs to make ends meet and those employers that hire anyone do so for a reason...usually those companies have high turnover and unsatisfactory work environments. My husband was treated like utter crap for minimum wage and he absolutely hated going to that job. They threatened to write people up over any little thing and expected you to drop everything to go in on a 2 minute notice. It's not realistic to expect someone to perform well under those conditions.

TheBladeRunner
So...what would be a helpful suggestion for somebody who has been working on a small business for a year, but otherwise no paid work for 2 years?

Are people like OP just up the river without a paddle?

I am in that boat, but my business does earn, just not enough to support myself w/o the STBXW's second income. Some months are killer, others are sparse. What I have done is worked with the current company I affiliate with (I am basically a 1099 employee) and he and all the other affiliates agreed to reference for me. I also have vendors that are references as well. Any professional reference will help. If you are self employed looking for work, try to make yourself look like an employee as much as possible, but still disclosing you are self employed. Just because you do work for yourself does not mean you cannot do the same for an employer.

I am looking, but I am not hitting it as hard as I would like to the fact I am still earning w/ the business.....it is just not enough. I am getting calls, interviews, and I have had offers but have had to decline due to travel requirements I cannot fulfill. Not sure what part of the country you are in regarding the economy, but things are picking up in my area (Denver).

You don't have to take any job, but you really should find something to do within a three year span. Really.

ETA: sorry, I'm getting you confused with the OP.

Edited by Fugu
  • Like 1

I have a almost 5-year difference between my only job and now.

At this point, I will take any job that is given to me. Just need to find an employer that is willing to give me a chance.

Interesting article on Unemployment discrimination for NYC:

http://www.cozen.com/cozendocs/Outgoing/alerts/2013/LaborEmploy_031913.pdf

New York City Employers Cannot Discriminate

Based on Unemployment Status As of June 11, 2013

Michael C. Schmidt • 212.453.3937 • [email protected]

The New York City Council continues to grow the chasm

that exists between New York City employment law and its

state and federal counterparts. Specifically, on March 13,

2013, the council overwhelmingly enacted (by a 43-4 vote) a

local law that precludes employers and employment agencies

from refusing to consider or hire an applicant because he or

she is unemployed, and from posting advertisements that

require job applicants to be employed. This comes less than a

month after New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg initially

vetoed the legislation, which now is set to become effective on

June 11, 2013.

What’s The Law?

The new law amends the New York City Administrative

Code (New York City Human Rights Law), which applies

to employers with four or more employees. Adding a new

protected class to the list of prohibited discrimination bases,

Section 8-107[21] now provides that, unless otherwise

expressly permitted elsewhere:

• “[A]n employer, employment agency, or agent thereof shall

not base an employment decision with regard to hiring,

compensation or the terms, conditions or privileges of

employment on an applicant’s unemployment.”

• “[N]o employer, employment agency, or agent thereof

shall publish, in print or in any other medium, an

advertisement for any job vacancy in this city that contains

one or more of the following: (a) Any provision stating or

indicating that being currently employed is a requirement

or qualification for the job; (b) Any provision stating or

indicating that an employer, employment agency, or agent

thereof will not consider individuals for employment based

on their unemployment.”

But where this new law taketh, it also giveth, in terms of what is

expressly carved out of the new law. Specifically, the new law:

• Does not prohibit consideration of unemployment status

“where there is a substantially job-related reason for

doing so.”

• Does not prohibit inquiries into the reasons or

circumstances “surrounding an applicant’s separation from

prior employment.”

• Does not prohibit consideration of (or publication of an

advertisement that requires) substantially job-related

qualifications, “including but not limited to: a current and

valid professional or occupational license; a certificate,

registration, permit, or other credential; a minimum level of

education or training; or a minimum level of professional,

occupational, of field experience.”

• Does not prohibit giving priority to applicants who are

currently employed by the employer.

• Does not prohibit “setting compensation or terms or

conditions of employment for a person based on that

person’s actual amount of experience.”

What’s The Effect?

The purpose of the new law in trying to ignite the reemployment of the unemployed seems a salutary goal,

particularly with unemployment in New York City hovering

around 9 percent. Yet, the new law poses significant

challenges to both sides of the employment aisle. On the one

hand, applicants need to prove the existence of discrimination

based on “unemployment,” which has been defined to require

proof that the applicant does not have a job, and is available

for work, and is seeking employment. An applicant must also

prove that his or her unemployment status was a motivating

factor in the company’s decision not to consider or hire.

ALERT

MARCH 19, 2013

Bittersweetie

I went through a two-year period where we moved and I wasn't accredited in our new state to do what I had been doing in our previous location. I knew we were going to move again so spending the money to take a bunch of classes for the license wasn't worth it. So I ended up volunteering during that time. Yes, it wasn't paid, and that wasn't ideal, but when I moved back I didn't have a gap and was able to get a new job. Maybe volunteering may be a possibility especially since it seems you haven't been making money in three years anyway...it will show action.

• Like 2
liquid_amber
Everyone's different here I guess. I've done stuff that I wouldn't dream of doing normally just to keep an income. Delivered pizza, sold random rubbish over the phone (telemarketing). Didn't like anything about these lower paying jobs, but the overriding need was to remain able to maintain myself financially.

I have a pretty specific professional skill, but when the chips are down and jobs in my field not free flowing ... I'll do anything, anything, to keep the wolves from the door.

i agree with Mumbles. any job is better than no job, because even a small income is better than no income. i've taken jobs i didn't like just for the income, but you need to always keep looking for something better.

• Like 1

Then they will give the job to someone who can carry on for years without relaxing

• Like 3

An employers response would be "Then you really don't need a job." If you can afford to sit around and relax for 3 years, let someone else who needs an income and is ready and willing to work hard get the job. How are you supporting yourself?

I don't have gaps larger than a few months on my employment record...but I was also going to school concurrently that whole time.

Most people while they aren't working usually have SOMETHING they can add to their resume or explain to the employer...I was taking care of a sick parent, child, volunteering, going to school...something!

• Like 1
If you look excited to be in the presence of the interviewer, he/she won't care about any gaps

Uh, no, he definitely will care.

passingbreeze

Not true. If you need money to pay your bills and put a roof over your head, you take any job. Anyone who can go for three years without working, or even one year, is obviously freeloading off someone else. Your parents or your wife must be supporting you, unless you're living in a homeless encampment?

If you look excited to be in the presence of the interviewer, he/she won't care about any gaps

Energy is definitely a good thing but it doesn't cover up all gaps by any stretch. If one is looking for a well seasoned X, having all the energy in the world won't change the fact that you don't have the experience for the position.

• Like 1
If you have experience and look very excited to be talking to the interviewer, you will get hired

Philly, I have helped hire 100s of people. It isn't this simple.

• Like 2
If you have experience and look very excited to be talking to the interviewer, you will get hired

My dad said this too...but it isn't that simple. If that's the case you wouldn't have been unemployed 9 months, no?

• Like 1