Ever move away for a job and then move back?

6 months ago I moved away for a job I really wanted and because I wanted to live in a different part of the country and the job was something I really wanted. I have LOVED this job. It is my favorite job I have ever had. It is a contract job I might add...so at some point there could be an endpoint. The job I left I was very miserable at. They did 9 hour days which was slowing my metabolism more, they overwork their people and there was so much harassment there daily.

The problem is the climate. It gets colder here than where I was living and for longer periods of time. I didn't mind it at first but last month I started to feel unstable. My mother has major depression and the winter months make it even worse. I started to feel like her in some ways and that is a scary thing. Mentally I don't think I could live here another winter. It of course isn't helping that I really don't have friends here. I'm sort of introverted so making friends isn't something I do easily.

Being away has helped me realize the things that were making me so unhappy where I was. The 9 hour days, the harassment at work, the apartment I was living in out there. Basically the short of it is, I'd like to move back. Part of me is a little afraid to because I need to be sure...I want to make it a permanent commitment. Moving back entailing NOT going back to that job btw...

Has anyone else ever done this?

You have to weight the pros and cons of this...trouble with relocating is that you have to find a job that will enable you to move back or save up so you can quit and find another job in your hometown. I am assuming since this is a contract job, you have to stay until your contract is up?

GG3, I am in a similar situation like you. Relocated for my "dream" job about half a year ago after living in the same city for the past 10 years. I was living in a place with an atrocious climate which *initially* I used to blame for everything bad that was happening in my life. The place where I am now is sunnier and warmer, so I am supposed to feel better though I am not. Lack of close friends and a support network make things a lot harder here and, tbh, I kind of regret making the move. What you are experiencing right now is the effect of being socially isolated, the weather plays a small part. Once you make a couple of close friends and meet a bf/gf you'll stop paying attention to the weather (at least that's how I survived in my previous place -- I must add that I moved away not because of the weather but because of lack of opportunities for advancement at work). Life is what you make of it. Don't be angry that the weather is not good, focus your energy on developing a social network and then things will look a lot brighter. An older friend of mine used to say that the key to happiness is to love your wife and your work, the rest are insignificant details. If you already love the new job it seems to me that you are close to finding that key pretty soon .....

In response to your thread topic though, my brother had moved to another state for a low paying job...got fired 2 months later and then had to move back. That's why it's important to research research research and make sure it pays well for the move to be worth it. Honestly though, I wouldn't move for a job unless I knew I would like living in that area long term.