22 years old and LOST!

Hello all,

I am lost in my life. I graduated in 2012 with a B.SC from a decent uni. I don't know what to do now. Should I try and get a job, go to a graduate school, go to a professional school (law or medical), or???

I really have no idea what interests me. Actually, pretty much everything seems "ok" to me, so I don't know what to pick to go on with in life.

I have applied to 40 jobs without even a single interview. I'm getting strongly discouraged. I feel like I will be bored in a job within weeks and will eventually quit.

Motivate me people!!!!

<3

• Like 1

You are still young, I am only a year and a half older than you and I only recently within the last year, became firm at what I wanted to do with my life. I would recommend not going to graduate school until you are absolutely sure what you want to do. Try out different jobs (me landing this job helped me decide what I wanted) go to a career center and take a placement test. As for the job search, it takes time before landing the perfect job. With the economy, you have to keep at it, don't get discouraged and eventually you will find something. It's better than giving up and not finding anything, right? Good luck!

fruitmelon123

Your not the only one, I'm 22 pushing 23 this summer and that thought of being 25 soon scares me with no career or prospects.

I had 3jobs last year and dropped out of them all because I never liked one single one! I do get motivation from time to time but then have sudden come downs because I'm bored of life at the moment.

Try not to think about it and take each day as it comes.

First off what in tha' Hell does "Like" have to do with anything when it comes to a job? Most jobs I've ever had up to including the Marine Corps I freaking initially hated. Most jobs are like that. It takes a good six months minimum before you can ever get your head wrapped around it enough. Until then you've got to reach down a grab yourself a handful of intenstinal fortnitude each day just to keep from walking out the front door! At your age no matter what job you get? Its going to suck! That's because you're starting out at the bottom.

Law school? Have you watched TV lately. I don't care where you live the Tv is covered up with commercials from ambulance chasing lawyers out trying to get any kind of work they can. My step brother is a lawyer. He's up before the crack of dawn, and on a good day he gets home to catch the 10 o'clock news. His monthly overhead alone is $8000 a month. That's before he can draw a single dime out of his practice for his and his own family use ~ that's just to keep his front doors open. Being a lawyer isn't all its cracked up to be. According to the Alabama Bar Assoication the average member earns about $35K a year.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. You may have a degree from here there and every where, from this University or that. But you never know where your going to end up 10,20,30 or even 40 years from now. There are plenty of "professionals" with profesional liscense and degrees that end working jobs that they would never in a million years have worked. S***T happens.

Life is what happens when you make other plans.

At your age? You've got to make the decision ~ You can pay now or you play latter. Or you can play now and pay for the ever-loving rest of your life. Why would want to waste even more years not acquiring and making money, even going into debt, when you can be out there makking money.

There are a lot of jobs that pay really good that don't require a college degree. Senior Auto Technicians (ASE certified mechanics that are certified and experienced auto mechanics on certain makes of cars such as Nissan, Toyota etc) earn around $80K a year. There's not only a demand for them? There's a national shortage of them. And you can go anywhere in the United States and start tomorrow.

My 28 year old DS never went to college, never went to trade school, yet he earns $72K a year, owns his own house, has some serious bucks in the bank. He started out OJT as a electrical lineman working as a gopher and fetcher. Worked his way up into the bucket working on power lines. This lead to his getting a job as a Nuclear Power Plant Operator trainess because he knows a lot about high voltage, how it works, the electrical power grid stations etc.

Eighty percent of the jobs out there don't require a college degree, but they do require addditional training beyond the high school level.

My advice? Get into something that you can always fall back on to no matter what life throws at you. HVAC technician comes to mind. It pays about $19 an hour, you can have your certificate in about a year and half, you can go anywhere in the country you want to and get a job, its something you can fall back on regardless of your age. Its actually simple work.

I guaranteee' you! Some old boy has a wife/GF? And the AC isn't working in the summertime or the heat isn't working in the wintertime? He's going to knoow no end of misery, bitchin', moaning, goaning and complaining until the AC / Furnance gets fixed. He will go and sell his Life blood to come up with the money. Plus he want be gettin' any action from her until it is fixed.

Industrial mechanic/maintenance. Again takes about two years or less, and is another 60 to 70K a year job ~ especially if you know about robots how to program them. Five or ten years in the trenches? You can go anywhere and get a job anywhere in the United States. You won't find these guys standing in the un-employment line I can promise you that!

• Like 2
First off what in tha' Hell does "Like" have to do with anything when it comes to a job?

This is so true!

Work is called work for a reason...

To the OP -- what did you think you would do after you got your degree? Do not go to graduate school or professional school just because you can't think of anything better to do. It's way too expensive a prospect.

You may need to consider looking for jobs in areas beyond your field or in other parts of the country. Get creative. If you graduated last May, you are coming up on a year unemployed, which doesn't look great on the resume. I assume you are doing something in the meantime?

This is so true!

Work is called work for a reason...

To the OP -- what did you think you would do after you got your degree? Do not go to graduate school or professional school just because you can't think of anything better to do. It's way too expensive a prospect.

You may need to consider looking for jobs in areas beyond your field or in other parts of the country. Get creative. If you graduated last May, you are coming up on a year unemployed, which doesn't look great on the resume. I assume you are doing something in the meantime?

I have to disagree, you have to like your job somewhat to go everyday or you will not be productive. That's what the interviews are for to see if the job fits your needs. Who accepts a job that they don't like??

• Like 1
I have to disagree, you have to like your job somewhat to go everyday or you will not be productive. That's what the interviews are for to see if the job fits your needs. Who accepts a job that they don't like??

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? Let me think here?

How about 12 million illegal immigrants in the United States?

Or how about the 2 million plus that are in prison with criminal convictions and records?

Oh! Oh! I know! How about the freaking FORTY-THREE MILLION AMERCIANS THAT CAN'T FIND A JOB!?

• Like 2
MissLiberty

Or how about the 2 million plus that are in prison with criminal convictions and records?

Oh! Oh! I know! How about the freaking FORTY-THREE MILLION AMERCIANS THAT CAN'T FIND A JOB!?

Yep, people do a lot of things they dread, just to make ends meet. Don't you think most people who work a second job would much rather be at home with their families? Any cog biding his time until retirement, loathes his job.

Well those people should have taken full advantage of the interview process. When I was job seeking all through 2012 I knew that I did not want a job that dealt with a lot of public speaking and traveling. When I got to the interview the lady told me the position requires me to be in all the time which was the thing that made me accept the job.

So I don't accept jobs I don't like and never plan to

MissLiberty
Well those people should have taken full advantage of the interview process. When I was job seeking all through 2012 I knew that I did not want a job that dealt with a lot of public speaking and traveling. When I got to the interview the lady told me the position requires me to be in all the time which was the thing that made me accept the job.

So I don't accept jobs I don't like and never plan to

Could have, would have, should have...Everyone has a different situation. If you had children that depended on you to keep a roof over their heads, and food in their bellies, you would see the job market differently and realize it's not always about you. You would learn to do whatever job paid you the most to benefit your family, intead of worrying about your personal comfort zone.

• Like 1
Could have, would have, should have...Everyone has a different situation. If you had children that depended on you to keep a roof over their heads, and food in their bellies, you would see the job market differently and realize it's not always about you. You would learn to do whatever job paid you the most to benefit your family, intead of worrying about your personal comfort zone.

You don't APPLY to any job or ACCEPT any job. If you do that then you are putting yourself in position to be miserable.

MissLiberty
You don't APPLY to any job or ACCEPT any job. If you do that then you are putting yourself in position to be miserable.

I hope you have a lot of respect for the men and women who signed up to defend our country. Think of what the country would be like if everyone shared your attitude about work.

• Like 2
I hope you have a lot of respect for the men and women who signed up to defend our country. Think of what the country would be like if everyone shared your attitude about work.

I;m talking about JOBS people say they hate to go to everyday.

Hello all,

I am lost in my life. I graduated in 2012 with a B.SC from a decent uni. I don't know what to do now. Should I try and get a job, go to a graduate school, go to a professional school (law or medical), or???

I really have no idea what interests me. Actually, pretty much everything seems "ok" to me, so I don't know what to pick to go on with in life.

I have applied to 40 jobs without even a single interview. I'm getting strongly discouraged. I feel like I will be bored in a job within weeks and will eventually quit.

Motivate me people!!!!

<3

I think you need to get a job and get out there in the work world. If you have the luxury to, search for jobs that fit the kind of tasks that are suited to your skills and abilities. Forget about interests, focus on what you would actively can and would like to do and skills to build upon. Be willing to start at the bottom in an industry you would like to pursue. And put a focus in what you're applying for and in your resume.

Grad school and beyond are for those who know why they are going (for a specific career purpose) or those who just have the time and money to spend just to educate themselves. Neither of these is you.

Yea for some reason I've yet to fathom, children ~ especially younger ones don't and can't understand why there's no milk and Fruit Loops in tha' house. :p

Yep, people do a lot of things they dread, just to make ends meet. Don't you think most people who work a second job would much rather be at home with their families? Any cog biding his time until retirement, loathes his job.

Been there and done that, especially once the kids came along, (and now its the grandkids! :laugh: Just got an order in tha' other day for a Toy Story Jessie Doll for a 3 year old :laugh:) But now that I'm retired from the Marine Corps I don't have to work two jobs. But I can work as much overtime as I can.

fortyninethousand322

It would be a lot better off. Especially these days.

As for the OP, I totally relate. Graduated in 2011, still stuck in neutral. I have a project I've been working on with some business partners, but while we've made a lot of progress, we still make no money. I'm afraid I'll just waste my whole life away...

Edited by fortyninethousand322

I do have to agree with PhillyDude on this. If you absolutely abhor a job, you will not be successful...that goes for a lot of people. Your depression will eventually show in your work. If you do accept work you don't like so you can survive, continue looking for something else. People do the best at their job when they do not hate it. I know not everyone can have a job they love, but you need to like it enough so you perform well. Especially folks with diagnosed ADHD who have to struggle extra hard at a job because of their disability...I was informed by a therapist those folks will need to be at a job they enjoy to succeed given the extra difficulties they face than the rest of us.

I read a lot. Or I use to? A habit and someithing I want and need to get back into? I like reading and learning. I like school. I like and enjoy the perspectives and attitudes of other people from any and all walks of life.

I "call" myself a "Scholar" in that I pursue knowledge for knowledge sake. Not for degrees, nor accolades, certifications, diplomas etc. I just like learning about new people, places, things, ideas, concepts, etc

With that said? I once read a book based upon a Havard University Study that follow oh say 10,000 of their graduates that graduated from Havard Business School, (At the time Havard was still segergated into Havard for men and I believe Ratcliff for women)

Anyway? Out of the so 10,000? About five hundred or so stayed in touch over the last twenty or thirty years. Of those about five or six became multi-millionaries.

And each and everyone ~ to make a long story short ~ did so because they did something ~ worked in a field that the were PASSIONATE about. They each and everyone would have gladly done their life's work if they had only been paid mimimum wage. It for them? Wasn't about the money! It was about the sheer enjoyment and joy they received from the work they were doing!

For me? It was being a Marine Gunny! I didn't give a damn about this medal, this plaque or certifcate, letter of appreciation?

For me it was the words of a Senior Marine Master Gunnery Sergeant up on tha' Hill ~ "Where I go? You go! Wherever they send me? Your Happy Azz is going! The graveyard is full of people I just can't do without, but I can't do this without you!"

It was my battalion commander telling me, "I don't give a damn if your retiring from the Marines Corps! I'll pay you out my own pocket to keep you on until I can find a suitable replacement!" (He'd already burned through five or six Master Sergeants and Master Gunnery Sergeants to replace me)

But most of all? It was one single letter that I received from one of my former Marines? I taught him all that I knew, I challenged him! I pushed him! I pi***sed him off! I made him mad at me! I took him further than his own expectations!

I cherish it more than gold itself.

"You made a difference in my Life!"

No it's not required to enjoy your job. Often you must endure something less than ideal while you get experience or make it through the rough times. However, people are generally trying to build a good life that they can enjoy. Having a job that you enjoy is a big step in that direction. If you hate your job and think that's just life, then I feel pity for you.

It's amazing that people don't consider their likes and dislikes when pursuing their education. If you hate sitting at a desk or doing repetitive things, then don't go into accounting, even if you like numbers and math.

For the rest of you who aren't diehard cynics, I suggest you find a purpose in life, or something that makes you happy, and figure out how you can make money doing it.

I don't like being stuck at a desk, or a suit and tie. I like moving around, helping and interacting with people, so I work in fitness and athletics. As a bonus, my work attire are shorts and a tee.

• Like 1

It's amazing that people don't consider their likes and dislikes when pursuing their education. If you hate sitting at a desk or doing repetitive things, then don't go into accounting, even if you like numbers and math.

This is what I meant when I wrote to forget about interests and to look into what you like and what skills you want to develop, but you wrote it more clearly.

This is what I meant when I wrote to forget about interests and to look into what you like and what skills you want to develop, but you wrote it more clearly.

Right, which is why I don't see how someone can be at a job they hate

VintageSweetPea

You'll find out later in life that when you need a job you will take any job that pays money to put food on the table and a roof over you head. Your too young to get what some of us are saying. Doesn't matter what courses you took or what degree you have if the right job for you is not available then you need to take was is. Interviews or no interviews it about landing a job that pays money so you can survive. Now a days the middle class are really poor, living from pay check to pay check hoping to have enough money to survive retirement. So get work experience now while you can afford to quit if you need to and live in you car until you land your next job. I work for a university in Philly and many graduates are working in McDonald's until something better comes along. That's the way of life here on this planet...I mean of course for us people who have to work and struggle to make a living.

• Like 2