LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

22 years old and LOST!

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd March 2013, 6:52 PM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLiberty View Post
Could have, would have, should have...Everyone has a different situation. If you had children that depended on you to keep a roof over their heads, and food in their bellies, you would see the job market differently and realize it's not always about you. You would learn to do whatever job paid you the most to benefit your family, intead of worrying about your personal comfort zone.
Yea for some reason I've yet to fathom, children ~ especially younger ones don't and can't understand why there's no milk and Fruit Loops in tha' house.
Old 2nd March 2013, 6:55 PM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Yep, people do a lot of things they dread, just to make ends meet. Don't you think most people who work a second job would much rather be at home with their families? Any cog biding his time until retirement, loathes his job.
Been there and done that, especially once the kids came along, (and now its the grandkids! Just got an order in tha' other day for a Toy Story Jessie Doll for a 3 year old ) But now that I'm retired from the Marine Corps I don't have to work two jobs. But I can work as much overtime as I can.
Gunny376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 1:09 AM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
I hope you have a lot of respect for the men and women who signed up to defend our country. Think of what the country would be like if everyone shared your attitude about work.
It would be a lot better off. Especially these days.

As for the OP, I totally relate. Graduated in 2011, still stuck in neutral. I have a project I've been working on with some business partners, but while we've made a lot of progress, we still make no money. I'm afraid I'll just waste my whole life away...

Last edited by fortyninethousand322; 3rd March 2013 at 1:12 AM..
fortyninethousand322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 1:22 AM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
I have to disagree, you have to like your job somewhat to go everyday or you will not be productive. That's what the interviews are for to see if the job fits your needs. Who accepts a job that they don't like??
I do have to agree with PhillyDude on this. If you absolutely abhor a job, you will not be successful...that goes for a lot of people. Your depression will eventually show in your work. If you do accept work you don't like so you can survive, continue looking for something else. People do the best at their job when they do not hate it. I know not everyone can have a job they love, but you need to like it enough so you perform well. Especially folks with diagnosed ADHD who have to struggle extra hard at a job because of their disability...I was informed by a therapist those folks will need to be at a job they enjoy to succeed given the extra difficulties they face than the rest of us.
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 1:30 AM   #20
Established Member

I read a lot. Or I use to? A habit and someithing I want and need to get back into? I like reading and learning. I like school. I like and enjoy the perspectives and attitudes of other people from any and all walks of life.

I "call" myself a "Scholar" in that I pursue knowledge for knowledge sake. Not for degrees, nor accolades, certifications, diplomas etc. I just like learning about new people, places, things, ideas, concepts, etc

With that said? I once read a book based upon a Havard University Study that follow oh say 10,000 of their graduates that graduated from Havard Business School, (At the time Havard was still segergated into Havard for men and I believe Ratcliff for women)

Anyway? Out of the so 10,000? About five hundred or so stayed in touch over the last twenty or thirty years. Of those about five or six became multi-millionaries.

And each and everyone ~ to make a long story short ~ did so because they did something ~ worked in a field that the were PASSIONATE about. They each and everyone would have gladly done their life's work if they had only been paid mimimum wage. It for them? Wasn't about the money! It was about the sheer enjoyment and joy they received from the work they were doing!
Old 3rd March 2013, 1:48 AM   #21
Established Member

For me? It was being a Marine Gunny! I didn't give a damn about this medal, this plaque or certifcate, letter of appreciation?

For me it was the words of a Senior Marine Master Gunnery Sergeant up on tha' Hill ~ "Where I go? You go! Wherever they send me? Your Happy Azz is going! The graveyard is full of people I just can't do without, but I can't do this without you!"

It was my battalion commander telling me, "I don't give a damn if your retiring from the Marines Corps! I'll pay you out my own pocket to keep you on until I can find a suitable replacement!" (He'd already burned through five or six Master Sergeants and Master Gunnery Sergeants to replace me)

But most of all? It was one single letter that I received from one of my former Marines? I taught him all that I knew, I challenged him! I pushed him! I pi***sed him off! I made him mad at me! I took him further than his own expectations!

I cherish it more than gold itself.

"You made a difference in my Life!"
Old 3rd March 2013, 3:10 AM   #22
Established Member

No it's not required to enjoy your job. Often you must endure something less than ideal while you get experience or make it through the rough times. However, people are generally trying to build a good life that they can enjoy. Having a job that you enjoy is a big step in that direction. If you hate your job and think that's just life, then I feel pity for you.

It's amazing that people don't consider their likes and dislikes when pursuing their education. If you hate sitting at a desk or doing repetitive things, then don't go into accounting, even if you like numbers and math.

For the rest of you who aren't diehard cynics, I suggest you find a purpose in life, or something that makes you happy, and figure out how you can make money doing it.

I don't like being stuck at a desk, or a suit and tie. I like moving around, helping and interacting with people, so I work in fitness and athletics. As a bonus, my work attire are shorts and a tee.
Old 3rd March 2013, 1:41 PM   #23
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoStick View Post

It's amazing that people don't consider their likes and dislikes when pursuing their education. If you hate sitting at a desk or doing repetitive things, then don't go into accounting, even if you like numbers and math.
This is what I meant when I wrote to forget about interests and to look into what you like and what skills you want to develop, but you wrote it more clearly.
RachR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 1:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachR View Post
This is what I meant when I wrote to forget about interests and to look into what you like and what skills you want to develop, but you wrote it more clearly.

Right, which is why I don't see how someone can be at a job they hate
PhillyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 3:27 PM   #25

You'll find out later in life that when you need a job you will take any job that pays money to put food on the table and a roof over you head. Your too young to get what some of us are saying. Doesn't matter what courses you took or what degree you have if the right job for you is not available then you need to take was is. Interviews or no interviews it about landing a job that pays money so you can survive. Now a days the middle class are really poor, living from pay check to pay check hoping to have enough money to survive retirement. So get work experience now while you can afford to quit if you need to and live in you car until you land your next job. I work for a university in Philly and many graduates are working in McDonald's until something better comes along. That's the way of life here on this planet...I mean of course for us people who have to work and struggle to make a living.
VintageSweetPea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 3:32 PM   #26

Gunny....All you have said was said like a true Soldier/Sergeant
Gunny376 likes this.
VintageSweetPea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 10:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSweetPea View Post
You'll find out later in life that when you need a job you will take any job that pays money to put food on the table and a roof over you head. Your too young to get what some of us are saying. Doesn't matter what courses you took or what degree you have if the right job for you is not available then you need to take was is. Interviews or no interviews it about landing a job that pays money so you can survive. Now a days the middle class are really poor, living from pay check to pay check hoping to have enough money to survive retirement. So get work experience now while you can afford to quit if you need to and live in you car until you land your next job. I work for a university in Philly and many graduates are working in McDonald's until something better comes along. That's the way of life here on this planet...I mean of course for us people who have to work and struggle to make a living.
Agreed. I will be finishing up my social work degree in less than a month and will be applying on several jobs in my field. Job prospects in social work are pretty good where I live, but of course there are no guarantees in life so I will apply on other jobs just in case, such as minimum wage ones because sometimes you have to take what's available if you have no other prospects...at least that's how I was raised. Before going back to school for my education i worked one job where I made $65 a week, and another time I did a job that was temporary and paid me only at the end of it. When I calculated the work I put into the job versus what I was paid, I only made about $2.50 an hour, and this was only about 13 years ago and way below the minimum wage. I would much rather work at a job I enjoy going to and is related to what I studied, but if I don't get a job in my field right away, I will have no choice but to work at something else so I can put food on my table and pay my bills.

Last edited by Nanuk; 3rd March 2013 at 10:14 PM..
Nanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 11:58 AM   #28
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
Well those people should have taken full advantage of the interview process. When I was job seeking all through 2012 I knew that I did not want a job that dealt with a lot of public speaking and traveling. When I got to the interview the lady told me the position requires me to be in all the time which was the thing that made me accept the job.

So I don't accept jobs I don't like and never plan to
Aren't you the guy who is always complaining about how broke you are?

Yes, in a perfect world we would all love our jobs, and we would only take a job that we loved. However, this isn't a perfect world and the reality is that people have bills to pay for shelter, food, transportation, et. al., which means you sometimes don't end up in your ideal, perfect, enjoyable job. There are a heck of a lot of people out there who would love to be actors and actresses; in truth, most of them spend the majority of their time working as waiters and waitresses or whatever other job they can get to pay the bills. Sometimes beggars can't be choosers.

I read an article (I think it might have been in the New York Times) last year discussing the economy and how difficult it is for new graduates to find jobs, and one of the main guys they interviewed (a new college graduate) had turned down a job making $45,000 a year because it wasn't his dream job and the pay wasn't high enough. Meanwhile, he was still unemployed months later, living with his parents. I was completely flabbergasted at that attitude. I mean, you have to start somewhere.
Old 29th April 2013, 2:05 PM   #29

Please please ignore all the people telling you off for wanting a career that you enjoy!!!

Apparently this is a generation thing. I'm of a similar age, and myself and all of my friends are sort of hitting what is known as a midlife-crisis in their early twenties. I have been told that this is because we have fast access to information and have grown up with this, whereas other generations haven't, mainly the internet and now smart phones, social media etc, and have more of a concept of what is available out there. It is also (especially in the UK) easier to get a degree, and most people who would not have usually gotten degrees 10 years ago now have them. (again, especially in the UK) most younger people these days are not so keen on having a family and settling down, they are absolutely more career driven and mortgages are a thing of fairy tales. While past generations have seen a job as something to pay the bills and support families, we have a very different perspective on what a career should offer us, and very little guidance is available.

So... the trick is to work out the following. (I have been working from a careers guidance book which has been really helpful)

1. your natural abilities and interests - good with people? like working with physical things or more ideas and concepts? enjoy being creative? good with numbers? etc
2. the sort of work environment you want to be in - office? lab? outside? large company, small company?
3. the actual job function- analyzing data? working on your own? working in a team? sales? researching?

Once you have this information together, you can work through different possibilities and then you know your potential career will be a good fit for you. If you have a job that works well with your natural abilities and interests then you are more likely to be motivated, work harder, sail through promotions and enjoy your time at work. You worked hard at your degree, so you absolutely deserve to enjoy your job!!!
Sparkly24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 12:16 PM   #30
Established Member

I know where you can purchase a nice big can of SPAM.
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote