Asking for a considerable raise

I feel I am deserving of a decent raise this year, but I feel I realistically won't get it. Here's why:

When I was hired for my job, I had little to no experience so my pay reflected that. However, 2 years later, I have the experience of someone who deserves more than entry level pay. In fact, as of late (the past 6 months), my responsibilities and job duties were done by my boss when I first starte

In many cases, I am her backup when she's on vacation or out sick. My team consists of two others who had more experience going into the job than I did, but I am given more responsibility than they have.

My question is how to parlay all of this into a nice raise?

I am a single guy who can't really to live on my current salary with current increases unless I want to live at home until I am 40. :o

I have found that the best way to navigate a pay rise is always brutal honesty.

Iv always done it just post-review as this usually gives me paper work to justify my request.

Worst thing you can do is try to play "games" with your work as some people may suggest, finding a new job to threaten them is a NO NO, telling them you will have to go elsewhere without the pay rise is a NO NO

Avoid those 2 like the plague i see many people using these lines and getting bitten in the ass so quickly.

So to sum up, be honest about your whole situation, clearly and carefully state your case, be frank about the reasons you wish a pay rise, avoid the fluffy buttons and make it a black and white case.

If you are denied a pay rise don't throw a hissy fit as many people do, best thing is if you get denied is to ask politely and constructively what you can do to make yourself more eligible for a pay rise in the near future, you will normally find very valid reasons for being denied and they can usually be rectified quickly.

Hope that's been helpful and i wish you the best of luck!

• Like 2

I work for a small company and my boss has promised raises that never happened. So, here I am, almost a year and a half later, making the same pay as when I was hired. Considering my hours are less than they were when they first started, I can guarantee there will not be any raises anytime soon. I need to find another job. For you I suggest finding a tactful way to broach the subject. If you don't get the raise, I would start looking for another job.