my boss is a complete @&%*!!!!

my boss is a complete d-i-c-k.

I won't bore you all with stories of how this self centered, arrogant prick intimidates, disrespects, and lives to humiliate everyone.

He is very powerful in our corporation because he has BS'ed his way to the top. Everyone hates him, he is always right and impossible to deal with. He has all the higher-ups snowed....he knows how to smooze them.

I am looking for another job to get away from this guy. I have been with the company for almost 8 years and I am willing to take a new job with less pay.

I want to quit but it wouldn't be fair to my wife to pick up the slack until I found something else.

Any advice on how to deal with my boss in the meantime?

CosmoGirl1391

I feel like maybe I can help you, because I was once in a similar situation.

When I was in college, I worked part time as a receptionist at an assisted living facility. I really liked the job and my co-workers, but the administrator was such an a**h***!!!

I didn't want to put my job in jeaporady, so I sort of just dealt with it. But after getting to know some of the ladies that I worked with, it turned out that I wasn't the only one who felt that way about him. So I started talking to other workers and even some of the residents to find out if they had any run-ins with him too. Pretty soon, me along with about 20 other employees and about 10 or so residents (all of whom were women) all requested a private meeting with the owner of the facility. We explained to her what was going on and how we felt about his attitude. She investigated it and to make a long story short, he was forced to resign. And see? That would never have happened had I not taked the initiative to take some action against this a**h***.

After I left the job after I graduated, I stayed in contact with some of the employees that I had become friends with. I found out that he was charged with sexual harrasment more than once at a previous job and was forced to resign at that job too. I think he just mainly had a problem with women, because none of the male employees that I talked to seemed to have a problem with him. But anyway, I found out that a few months after he resigned from the assisted living facility, he was arrested on charges of assault - of his own wife! So it was crazy, and he was just a maniac that just had a vendetta against women.

I hope my story inspired you to take some action. I don't really have any other advice to offer you except that - just do something about it. If you just leave that job quietly, then your boss has won.

Good Luck, and go kick some ass!!!! LOL! :p

Sometimes those strategies work. Sometimes the other employees are too fearful to go against their boss. Sometimes the boss is so far in the good books with his superiors that he's teflon. Just a caveat.

reasontosigh
Originally posted by moimeme

..... Sometimes the boss is so far in the good books with his superiors that he's teflon. ....

Yep, I see that in fredrolin's post.

CosmoGirl1391

True, true. But ya never know until you try. And if he's thinking of leaving the job anyway, he really has nothing to lose. I would sure as hell rather stand up for myself than wimp out and have to alter my life and my job for some stupid a**h***.

Just go for it, dude.

That's fine to say when you're single without a family to support. He'll need to figure out where else he can work if his gamble blows up in his face.

CosmoGirl1391
Originally posted by moimeme

That's fine to say when you're single without a family to support. He'll need to figure out where else he can work if his gamble blows up in his face.

Originally posted by fredrolin

I am looking for another job to get away from this guy.

Well, I guess that takes care of that.

Of course he should have another job lined up, just in case. That's a no-brainer. But I just don't think he should run away from it. People need to learn to quit wasting all their energy bitchin' about stuff and do something about it! There comes a time when you just have to stand up for youself and your rights. Be confident and take some action! You never know what the result could be!

Unfortunately, you've either got to quit or take his s***.

The first thing you do is play defense first. By that I mean get your references, resume and everything else prepared so that in case something happens, you're prepared to go job hunting. One thing I've learned is that it's important to do some good networking. Use whatever resources you have (friends or past employers) to help you do the groundwork before you do. As well, get involved with things like your local chamber of commerce or even just a good non-profit charity and do some volunteer work once in a while. You'd be surprised how many influential people get involved in those kinds of things.

For now, though, you're just gonna have to suck it up - and yes, in your case, you should do what you can to keep your job until you find a new one. That may not be possible, but do the best you can.

There' s something to be said for 'If you can't beat them....join them'.

Have you tried befriending him and taking time to see things from 'his' perspective? If he has the higher ups 'smoozed' and only the ones who don't like him are below him on the totem pole.....then he simply knows how to play the game and is using to his advantage.

Instead of loathing or fighting him.....watch closely as to what type of things interest him in conversation and move slowly into his circle. Instead of being an enemy, he will then become an ally. Emulate him, rather than fighting him.

SURE it's brown nosing....but to get to the top of your field....sometimes it takes a lot of sh*t to harvest the crop you want. Pile it on when needed.

I agree with Arabess - suck up! Don't stop looking for something else but making him a friend (or perceived mentor) in the meantime is a better idea than opposing him as most of these guys seem to feed on those who fight them.

Much as it bothers me to admit it, the workplace can be a place where it's gamesmanship or sink. I'm not any good at playing games, so that sort of thing sickens me, but I understand it's a survival mechanism.

BTW, don't take your example from me if you want to climb high on the corporate ladder. I already figured out that the way I'm constituted does not make me a good candidate for the ranks of upper management; too much toadyism is needed before you reach the top rung. I don't think ill of people who can play the game; it just doesn't fit me.

• Author

thank you all for the input.

I happened to go to my Human Resources department today to document the fight I had with my boss on Friday.

Ironically I am going to be reporting to a new supervisor starting May 1st. This was already in the works for awhile, and HR told me this in confidence. He also said just to bit my tongue for the rest of the month!!

There is a GOD!!

Again, thank you all!!