dealing with a bad boss?

Any advice appreciated, share your stories, let me know I'm not the only one who has dealt with this crap! And also, help, please!

So, I took a big risk and left a very steady, albeit high stress job, to pursue a job in an industry I am passionate about. It was a big risk because my previous boss was very accommodating for the most part, however the job was too high stress for myself as a university student as it was getting to the point where the job was asking me to push back my studies and miss exams to work and making me feel guilty when I didn't. Along with being spit on daily, getting threatened, having people throw things at me, having to call security daily as well as having people physically grab and try to abuse me. The job was not a good fit for me, as I felt I really needed to focus on my studies instead of being made to feel like a bad worked when i wouldn't skip university to come to work.

Anyway, this new job, I got along really well with the interviewer, who was the manager off the store I was to be working at. due to my high level of experience from my previous job, she offered me a position right away. I agreed to take it, however I discussed with her some certain conditions. I made it clear that were these conditions not to be met, I would not be accepting the offer for the job. These conditions were:

3 entire 8 or more hour days of working per week. Any more and I would fall behind on my studies and any less I could not afford rent. I explained to her I understood that it was a specific ask, but it was something I needed, and something numerous other jobs have been able to offer me, so it was not unusual. She agreed immediately, explaining that it would not be a problem in the slightest.

The second condition I asked of her, was if I could not work every single weekend for both days. My reasons for this were personal, but important, not simply social or because I am lazy or want to see my friends. She again, agreed, I reiterated to her numerous times that these two conditions definitely need to be met, otherwise I would be happy not to take the job. Again, she guaranteed.

Fast forward 3 months. i have not have one weekend or half a weekend, or even half a day on the weekend off. I work every weekend, 8-6pm both days without fail. As well as this, even though i am available every day of the week to work bar Monday and Tuesday due to university, I am getting no other shifts for work, which means paying my rent often means going without food.

I approached her after around one month of this cycle and explained my dilemma. I didn't blame her, I simply asked if there was any opportunity for extra work. She said i should be happy with what I get and to stop complaining. Ok maybe she was in a bad mood.

Fast forward one week and I approach her about the weekend issue. Rather than asking for our original agreement, I simply broached her about having one saturday off for a friends wedding. I had already organsied with a co-worker to switch, so she would not be down an employee for the day.

Her response? If you don't want to work both days on the weekend, then I don't want you working for me at all!

I responded by apologising, and asked if it was feasible even for me to have just half a day off for this wedding. Again, she declined, saying I was responsible for working the entire weekend and if I didn't like it I could leave. I definitely wasn't rude or mean, I am in fact quite timid when it comes to these things, she just snapped out of nowhere.

Getting upset, I asked her what happened to our original agreement she told me 'things change, if you don't like it, leave'.

I just don't understand why she would make these agreements with me, only to completely go back on them now that the job has begun. To leave the job in such a bad job market would be risky I feel, and finding jobs that work around uni is not easy.

Can anybody help me shed light on this situation? Every time I bring it up, she threatens to fire me or tell me I can leave if I have problems with it. I think it is unfair that there are three other employees happy to work full weekends (which she is aware of) yet she refuses to let me have even one off. I even put in leave for a Saturday six months from now that was declined.

If I had known this before i began the job, I would never have taken it.

Why would she be so rude and uncompromising, yet when other new staff want days off (I have seen with my own eyes) no matter what day, how many days or when, it is accepted without a fuss.

Advice please? Can I fix this with her? or is it a lost cause? has anybody else dealt with a boss like this?

I have actually had several bosses like this and my husband is going through a similar situation right now. For him, they keep changing his schedule last minute with no regard for employee's other obligations once the work schedule comes out for the week. His supervisor's response? "Isn't work an obligation?" I assume you work retail and these types of responses from employers seem quite common from my experience. They want you to work whenever they want you to. I remember even when I was in high school, being scheduled shifts I could not work due to school. And even when I would give them my school schedule, they STILL would schedule me during school hours. It was like pulling teeth to get them to work with me and ultimately the resolution is to find a job that is willing to work with you. Actually my husband had a job with the same dilemma you're in now. The manager was fine working with his school schedule and then a few weeks later wondered why he couldn't work mornings and claimed his school schedule wasn't his concern. If they know that someone else will work the hours, it's the harsh reality. I know what it's like to have to find a job that will work with limited availability, which is why I'm doing school online now, so I can work more and not have to be limited to retail jobs. Your manager is not being reasonable at all to let you have one weekend day off. Maybe she is scheduling you weekends over weekdays because they need you more then due to your limited availability. When I worked retail, I worked every weekend and expected as such due to my limited availability...but you should be able to ask for a day off every once in awhile for whatever reason. I would start to look for another job...is it possible you can take some classes online so you are able to work more hours?

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Like 1

As my wife, Pink_sugar, said you totally get crapped on in retail. They give you part time hours and unable to work with despite not working full time. Really?!

My work constantly changes my schedule and never tells me. It is extremely irritating. Frankly when I find something else, I won't give notice. They don't deserve it.

I worked for a company where you signed a contract upon employment. The rights of employees & the company were clearly stated. Upon 1 year of employment I began having problems with a co-worker once our relationship became intimate. She was affecting me both on & off the job. I requested a transfer to another location which the contract states you're allowed to do after 1 year of employment.

My manager liked me & even spoke of promoting me to assistant manager. All of this changed upon requesting transfer. Her boss (The director) came in & starts screaming at me. My boss doesn't utter 1 word in my defense even though she clearly knew the problems going on at work. One 'friend' co-worker physically assaulted me in the workplace then began calling my home to threaten me not to talk in the job about what he'd done to me.

Both bosses begin meeting with me personally on a weekly basis. They never did this before I asked to transfer locations. I sent my resume to someone in the central office because they weren't supposed to be blocking my transfer. The director then puts a red flag on my file so no other house will hire me. I couldn't believe it!!! She then tells me if you don't like it quit. I resigned 2 weeks later although they really forced me out. Some jobs are just not run well.

I worked for a company where you signed a contract upon employment. The rights of employees & the company were clearly stated. Upon 1 year of employment I began having problems with a co-worker once our relationship became intimate. She was affecting me both on & off the job. I requested a transfer to another location which the contract states you're allowed to do after 1 year of employment.

My manager liked me & even spoke of promoting me to assistant manager. All of this changed upon requesting transfer. Her boss (The director) came in & starts screaming at me. My boss doesn't utter 1 word in my defense even though she clearly knew the problems going on at work. One 'friend' co-worker physically assaulted me in the workplace then began calling my home to threaten me not to talk in the job about what he'd done to me.

Both bosses begin meeting with me personally on a weekly basis. They never did this before I asked to transfer locations. I sent my resume to someone in the central office because they weren't supposed to be blocking my transfer. The director then puts a red flag on my file so no other house will hire me. I couldn't believe it!!! She then tells me if you don't like it quit. I resigned 2 weeks later although they really forced me out. Some jobs are just not run well.

I actually had a job where they would transfer people to other stores...some pretty far away...and not even tell them about it until a few days before.

• Like 1

You should have sued your former work place for forcing you out by being such a toxic environment, assaulted by a coworker, etc.

I would have at least tried something had it not been for the girl bothering & harassing me. I live in NYC & when ppl come at you on the streets, watch out! This same 'friend' & I chased & caught a criminal who robbed 1 of their clients at the front door to the house.

The icing on the cake.....I went back 3 years later to try & be rehired. My interviewer was another guy who hated working in the house I'd been in. He luckily got promoted into HR. He gave me a corporate speech during the interview which I totally disproved. Seemed like he didn't want the trouble although he knew what happened. Bottomline, they cited the same red flag the director had put on my file & he basically told me there's no chance to be hired again, double slap in the face. :lmao::lmao:

Unfortunately unless you got those stipulations in writing, legally you don't have a lot to go on. Employment contracts are less likely to be used in the US than in Canada and UK/Global.

My advise, I would look for another job and then quit there. Unfortunately she reneged on her agreement with you, this was a poor business practice for them and I would suspect their turnover is high. Until they start looking at employment, turnover, and engagement studies, it really doesn't have a lot of oomph to change.

You can report her to her manager as well and see if you can affect change that way.

• Author
Why put up with it? Are you a slave? Quit the job, move on.

Why put up with it? Because the area I live in has very very low job prospects. i am lucky to have a job at all, and I need to pay my rent so I simply cannot quit without another job. As well as this, going into another job whilst at university is difficult, I have been declined jobs a total of 47 times due to my 2 day university unavailability. As in "you are actually a perfect fit for this job and we would love for you to accept the job, but can you defer your studies for a few years so you can be more flexible?"

So it is very difficult for me to get a job that works around university. That is why I am a 'slave', as you put it.

To the other respondents, it is nice to know that I am not the only person who deals with horrible bosses. It makes me feel much less alone haha.

It wouldn't be possible to get anything in writing because I am a casual worker, which means I have no contract. I know people are going to say 'oh well if you are casual you really can't complain, your boss can ask you to work whenever because you are a casual employee.' I think the actual point of my gripe however is the fact that somebodies word means nothing anymore. a promise taken back without so much as a second thought, without discussion, without anything and then a threat of being fired over asking for the conditions agreed upon in the original promise. The fact that the promise of one day off on a weekend every now and then was the one major thing that swayed me to quit my old job and pick this one, and that she knew very well I was happy not to accept the job without that promise.

Sigh, sorry, I guess I am just getting more and more frustrated. have been applying for jobs everywhere lately but there are so few around and so few that want to accept university students!

• Like 1

Well, sometimes with jobs like that...it makes living in your car sound really good. My husband has a job where the management constantly changes his schedule every week without telling him, so he'll often show up too early or late. And they always threaten to lay off or write people up left and right and say it may be hard for them to find another job at the beginning of the year. For minimum wage, part time, it's not worth putting up with such blows to your self esteem and self worth.

• Like 1