Single/ and or childless people in the workplace

TwinkletOes26

This an off shoot of sugars thread(hope she doesnt mind)....but i notice that employers/people in general seem to think single and/or childless people dont have responsibilities therefore they can stay late and pick up other's shifts(usually those with kids) why should my choice not to have a child yet mean that I am available at all times of the day and night. I have a life too...I also have experiencedc managers (usually women) who get resentful of the fact that I am unmarried and have no children. I was once even told by my head manager that having children is Gods commandment of women. :eek::eek::eek::eek:.....

I have had coworkers with children be allowed to leave an event 2 hours earlier than everyone else...and when others complained we were told "you will understand when you have children one day" one woman who they told this to was in her mid 40s and had expressed that she was infertile :(.

So my question is has anyone else experienced this type of discrimination and managers do you really think that single childless people are just sitting around partying or twiddling our thumbs after work?

• Like 1

That kind of reminds me of my husband's job and some jobs I've had. The part time, minimum wage job pretty much acts like we have no other commitments outside of work. It would probably be different if we have kids, but still that shouldn't be the only commitment people have.

• Author
TwinkletOes26

Sadly there are no laws to protect people from "singlism" ...it seems to me that most people seem to figure that singles or childless people have more free time not always true. Mostly i think because a lot of people have kids in their early 20s so they figure well before i had kids i was partying and doing what normal 20 somethings do but once you hit your mid to late 20s most are over that and are doing other things besides "having fun" I think also some people ar jealous of the freedom childless/singles hav so this is a way for a jealous manager /coworker to gt their jollies.

I can not tell you the number of times i had to explain why i was 30 without a kid and why that didnt bother me. My managers said my work ethic was great it was just thy couldnt find any common ground with me. Well when all you talk about during lunch is your children and daycare of course not. I mean what am i suppose to say to "i got a raise but all my money goes to daycare"? I mean isnt it rude of me to say well you didnt check out the cost of daycare before having a baby?

I hope in the future this gets discussed in the business world more because there are more people CHOOSING not to have kids and this can only cause more issues in the workforce.

• Like 1
so this is a way for a jealous manager /coworker to gt their jollies.

I had a supervisor like that. She was only a few years older than me, a single mom at 18. She was a very angry/bitter individual and always took it out on me. She resented me because I was happily married with no children...so she went as far as to purposely schedule me to work on my wedding anniversary and give herself the day off...after I requested the time off weeks before. I quit right after that and didn't look back.

just because a person has chosen not to have kids, that does not mean they have no life or obligations outside of work. true, work should always be a priority, but it should not discriminate based on whether or not people have kids. i said this on the previous thread and i'll say it again here: if someone is hired to do a job, the expectation is that they will be able to fulfill all of the duties of that job, including the hours. it isn't right to allow people with kids to leave early or work more desirable hours just because they have kids. a job is supposed to be separate from a person's home life, and having kids is a personal choice. other people shouldn't have to bend to that choice.

just because a person has chosen not to have kids, that does not mean they have no life or obligations outside of work. true, work should always be a priority, but it should not discriminate based on whether or not people have kids. i said this on the previous thread and i'll say it again here: if someone is hired to do a job, the expectation is that they will be able to fulfill all of the duties of that job, including the hours. it isn't right to allow people with kids to leave early or work more desirable hours just because they have kids. a job is supposed to be separate from a person's home life, and having kids is a personal choice. other people shouldn't have to bend to that choice.

Yet the double standard still exists.