LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Which Degree, and For Which Job?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st October 2012, 8:16 PM   #46
Established Member

In Aus, at my Uni, for food science you:

-first do a basic math course for one semester, or 6 months

- you then pick EITHER physics OR stats.

....70% of people fail stats.

Look, I do not think I am cut out for a food science degree, after much consideration.

I would literally ONLY pass it if I did it PART time, to begin with.

90% of students dropped out of it, due to FAILING, despite their best efforts.

And even part time, I would probably fail, unless I did not have a SINGLE day off; no weekends off, study all day every day, no working out, just studying.

Sorry I cannot handle that.

I am willing to study all day every day, but need ONE day of the weekend off.

I need an hour in the day, outside of studying, to work out 5 days a week.
Leigh 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 8:20 PM   #47
Established Member

Look, to get a highly paid job, even food science will not get you a VERY high paying job; unless you go on to study pharmacy.

According to a very clever guy who is doing it in AUS, and who is from the USA.

I think I will be more than happy doing a more fun, enoyable social sciences degree...

Social work is EASY to get, you would more then likely get a job out of the degree, and you start on about 40 - 50K.

Hey - I love bar work and waitressing, I would likely earn 50K a year as a social worker, and with bar work most nights, i would earn about 80K a year!

I think I am going to get an easier degree, that will still get me a job, and earn more cash from bar work.

I genuinely love bar work. I love waitressing too, I kove the buzz of dealing with people, and I love that it is active and on my feet!

Not everyone is cut out to cry and shed that much blood over a heavy science and math degree.

It is not worth it to me, the pain and hell of JUST getting by, just to get a job that pays better.
Old 31st October 2012, 10:06 PM   #48
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
I think I will be more than happy doing a more fun, enoyable social sciences degree...

Social work is EASY to get, you would more then likely get a job out of the degree, and you start on about 40 - 50K.
You should check out this online article: The US Report - The US Report - Reality of social work: What professors can

Personally I would wonder about any line of work that is really easy to get. Either there is huge growth in that area or there is huge turnover.
Old 31st October 2012, 10:13 PM   #49
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post
You should check out this online article: The US Report - The US Report - Reality of social work: What professors can

Personally I would wonder about any line of work that is really easy to get. Either there is huge growth in that area or there is huge turnover.

is not not THAT easy to get. I mean, it is the only degree I could pass, butyou still have to study hard to pass.

It is still a 3 year degree, so I do not s ee why it is pointless to get.

My friend has finished her second year, and sais case managing is very rewarding.

I am much like my friend when it comes to academic studies; we both did well in school, but are still not smart enough to pass a science degree, or a degree with college level maths.

....Look, you do not need an extremely difficult degree to get a job.

You are very likely to get ajob as a social worker if you work hard, and helping people is very rewarding for some social workers.
Old 31st October 2012, 10:15 PM   #50
Established Member

Did you read the link?
Phoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 10:25 PM   #51
Established Member

I am not able to do any other degree, therefore social work is a better career path than any non degree option.

PLUS - I LOVE bar work and waitressing, and I plan to do that a few nights a week to supplement my income.

I would do social work 9 - 5, and do bar work and/or waitressing a few nights a week.

After a year or two, I would get 50K for my 9 - 5 job, and get 20 - 30 K waitressing and bar tending.

All in all, I love working with people, I want a professional job rather than NOT getting a degree, and I really enjoy bar work and jobs I would love to do on the side.

I could easily get 80K with social work and bar work.

I think I would genuiely enjoy both jobs.

And Australians do not carry guns regularly, the neighbour hoods are not likely to cause me death or injury.

I would be more likely to die from getting hit by a car, than by walking from my car to the door, of a house, in a bad neighbourhood.

.....It is crazy you carry guns so much in the USA! no wonder the "bad? neighbourhoods are that dangerous.
Old 31st October 2012, 10:29 PM   #52
Established Member

I am a positive person, and I am going to be happy about my predicament and job options.

At the end of the day, I will have a professional job, a degree, and will wake up feeling proud that I am earning a living.

If I live with my partner and go 50/50 in a small place, and go without a few things (not going out much, or buying new clothes at more than once a year)...

I believe if I save hard and work as a social worker, am prepared to move states to get a suitable job... that I will save money and even be able to travel every few years.

In the Northern Territory, you get paid well to be a social worker, with the aboriginals.

My good friend who is also doing the degree, says the case studies she has had to do were very rewarding.

She also said the women living above her is a case worker and earns good money (probabl through hard work, selling herself well, and being in the game for a few years)
Old 31st October 2012, 10:32 PM   #53

You need to decide whether you are after a fun, easy factor in getting your degree or your future. If the latter:

1. Suck it up and take math and hard science classes. Companies are dying for women in technology. Study what other women avoid to get ahead in this world work economy that will likely continue for decades becoming more and more competitive. Every technology company has a HR, marketing, etc. less rigorous departments, and I can assure you they would prefer to hire people who can understand and relate to the company's business for these jobs than from the yard high stack of applicants with social science and humanities degrees.

2. Avoid worthless degrees in social sciences, humanities, nutrition, the days of waltzing out of college with any ole degree and getting decent job are over. Employers will be scrutinizing your transcript with a magnifier.

3. If you simply can't stomach technology, consider medical, a smidge less math and hard science required for basic medical functions.

If you are like many people, self included, you don't like math because you were never taught it well. Hire a tutor if need be. If I have one regret about my education, it is that I tossed out my calculus book after one week with a lousy teacher and moved into some weak ass psych class. Buckle down or drop out. The types of degrees and majors you are talking about are wastes of money, and more importantly your precious time and opportunity cost, and you are better off just going straight to work. Good luck.
dasein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 10:37 PM   #54
Established Member

Sorry, I am not smart enough to pass math at college level.

And the pain and suffering is not worth doing math or science for years.

And I disagree that being a social worker is worthless.

You can earn a living from it.

I happen to love bar work, and if I did that on the side, I would be getting 80K a year.

I do not see anything wrong with that.

I believe getting a professional degree in the social sciences, and becoming a social worker, is a far better option than being a waitress your entire life.
Old 31st October 2012, 10:41 PM   #55
Established Member

I find it incredibly insulting that you think being a waitress for my entuire life is better than getting a professional job, albiet a job that is not well paid.

You do not need hard math or science to earn a living.

There ARE other ways.

Like I said, I am pretty darn good with people; hence why I actually LOVE bar and waitressing jobs! Man, they are active, you deal with people all day, and I really really love it.

...... I am also prepared to re - locate to get work as a social worker. Which means I am very likely to get a job.

I truly believe I am more liklely TO get a job as a social worker, than to NOT get a job AT ALL out of the degree.

Average social workers who work hard end up with 50 K a year; because I love bar work, I would earn an extra 20 or 30 K a year on top of my 9 - 5 job.

I think I would enjoy social work, and the extra bar work would just be extra fitness and calories burnt standing all evening..

I do not see how being a 50K a year social worker, and doing bar work, and getting 80K if I work hard, is a BAD thing........
Old 31st October 2012, 10:47 PM   #56
Established Member

So you know, there are no jobs that are rewarding or pay as well as social work, without a degree....

Personal training is luctative after years at it if your super sucessfull, you get about 70 K a year if your the small % of tr ainers who make something of themselves.

Child care is another course/ 2 year diploma option, but u do not get paid as much as social workers in the end.

So yeah, there are no other options that exceed the financial benifit and personal satisfaction of getting the social sciences degree, and becoming a case manager eventually.

My friend and I, we both did well in school, yet we could not even pass a food science degree, doing it PART TIME.

The science and math was simply too hard for us.

If we did manage to scrape through PART TIME, which we prob would not even with our BEST EFFORTS, it would take us 6 years to get through a science based degree, seeing as we are only smart enough to handl eit part time.

I am planning on doing a masters on something interesting like crimanology.

Look - yes you CAN enjoy your degree AND get a job and earn a living out of it.
Old 31st October 2012, 11:05 PM   #57

Sorry you were insulted. It was not my intent. But it's plain from your posts you could use some pointed advice about degrees.

IMO, you'd be better off learning a trade than wasting a degree on some of the fields you mentioned. If that sounds harsh, it's because I know many people who have spent four years on such and can't get a job of any type. They dread the student loan bills in the mailbox. Better to just go straight to work and build work experience, skill and contacts.

If OTOH, you really want a valuable degree, reconsider my advice. Doing well enough in math or science is not as much a factor of intelligence as it is practice and persistence. It is more learned via rote than grasped. If the assignment is 30 problems, get another book and do 50. I don't doubt at all that you are capable of succeeding at it.
dasein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 12:04 AM   #58
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasein View Post
Sorry you were insulted. It was not my intent. But it's plain from your posts you could use some pointed advice about degrees.

IMO, you'd be better off learning a trade than wasting a degree on some of the fields you mentioned. If that sounds harsh, it's because I know many people who have spent four years on such and can't get a job of any type. They dread the student loan bills in the mailbox. Better to just go straight to work and build work experience, skill and contacts.

If OTOH, you really want a valuable degree, reconsider my advice. Doing well enough in math or science is not as much a factor of intelligence as it is practice and persistence. It is more learned via rote than grasped. If the assignment is 30 problems, get another book and do 50. I don't doubt at all that you are capable of succeeding at it.

I hear that if you have a good personality and can sell yourself well, many people who are eager to be a social worker can.

I seriously do not see why I could not be a social worker if I tried hard.

And what is wrong with being a social worker who works at bars on the side? I would enjoy it.
Old 1st November 2012, 12:06 AM   #59
Established Member

but it would take me 6 years to do a 3 year degree; yes I know myself and part time hard science degrees are my ONLY option!!!!!!!!! I CANNOT pass full time.

WHY do you think any degree that is not super hard is useless?

Being a social worker is not some doomed lifestyle - you CAN make a living off of it.

Math and hard science is not the ONLY way to get a degree and then a job.
Old 1st November 2012, 12:15 AM   #60

Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow where the midnight sun and the hot springs glow. Not really. Oregon.
Honestly, Leigh, I think it might be a good idea for you to stop writing about this topic on LoveShack for a while. You are just spinning nothing has changed in your life in the past 24 hours and you have gone from "disliking" the nutritionist program to thinking you will do it.

You really need to get yourself grounded in order to be able to approach questions like these in a productive manner.
Mme. Chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote