Degree Necessary for A 'Good Job'

Is it true that to get a "good job", you need a degree?

I think the only way besides getting a degree, as a means of getting a good job, is to: be incredibly talented and intelligent in a area, and make the most of your incredible talents and abilities.

Otherwise, if your not REALLY good at something that you can make into your own busines, a degree looks like my only option for me to live the best life that I can.

Sure, I have my talents, but I am frankly too lazy to be super, super amazing enough to make it on my own, without a degree; I just do not have it in me to be that fabulous to get a good paying job with out a degree to back me up.

I am indefinately going back to GET my degree, which I deferred in the hope that there was a shorter way to get a "good job".

I thought personal training would lead to a good job, only to discover it is really HARD to get into; you have to pay loads of rent to the gyms, and you only get successfull if your incredibly fantastic at you job, and/or develope your own business outside of gyms.

Anyway, does anyone else think you can get a good job without a degree? Am I wrong thinking that getting my degree, in an area that I most like (out of all the degree based jobs), is my best option?

..I honestly think getting the degree is the best path for me.

• Author

I just wanted to add, that it is incredibly hard to get a retail or hospitality job.

I have walked around to shops all day for days, dressed fantastically and professionally, with ten years experience in both industries.... With NO SUCCESS.

There simply is not enough work in those industries, as you do not need a skill to do them, and anyone can just walk in and do them.

...so, the only other options besides a degree, if your not particularly brilliant, is to do short courses like: childcare for 1 or 2 years, or becoming a travel agent (through a 6 month course) which is a dead end job apparently.

It is possible to get a good job without a degree, but considering the economy, it's tough. Even extremely qualified, highly educated people are unemployed.

I'm on team "degree" plus having industry specific certifcations. Just one or the other is impressive, but having both on paper looks really good.

Are you soliciting feedback from us?

Making sure I have the facts: 10 years experience.

Are you contemplating Associate Degree or BA/BS?

For the most part, I think so. Just by having a degree, statistics say those with a Bachelors degree make nearly twice as much or more. A lot of it depends on occupation and your major. I know many people with low wage jobs with college degrees, because they found their major to be useless like Psychology, or History or Rhetoric or something. Go for degrees for jobs high in demand like Math, Science, Business or Nursing. You definitely cannot go wrong with those. To me, choosing a major that will be worth the student loans is definitely important.

I just wanted to add, that it is incredibly hard to get a retail or hospitality job.

I wouldn't say they are hard to get...you are just dealing with more competition with all the highschoolers and those without skills, because usually these jobs don't require degrees or experience.

I say getting a degree isn't worth the paper its printed on with out experience. Also if you have no degree but experience you'll be able to get a good job.

• Like 1
For the most part, I think so. Just by having a degree, statistics say those with a Bachelors degree make nearly twice as much or more. A lot of it depends on occupation and your major. I know many people with low wage jobs with college degrees, because they found their major to be useless like Psychology, or History or Rhetoric or something. Go for degrees for jobs high in demand like Math, Science, Business or Nursing. You definitely cannot go wrong with those. To me, choosing a major that will be worth the student loans is definitely important.

That's a misleading statistic considering the debt that comes along with it, it doesn't account for that.

• Author

I hate math.

I was going to do social sciences to become a social worker - my friend who is doing that degree told me that it is a growing industry.

Nursing would be the ONLY one out of that list you gave me I would do, and I would HATE the math involved, so the point where I would rather be poor that do math at my age.

Social work is poorly paid and not worth going into debt. How about some sort of sales job, not retail, if you have a good personality? Pharmaceutical sales pays well and they prefer attractive women.

• Like 1
  • Author

Really, fit chick?

My good friend is doing social work for her degree, and said the pay is about 70K per year.

It is certainly MUCH better than a retail or cafe / waitress job.

.....I have an out going personality that is not too cheesy, and very sincere (hence why I am a great liar, which I hate actually)

But I know when to shut up and keep quiet, if I come across people who do not like to chat.

F8ck. If not social work, WHAT degree should I do?????????????????????????????????

I DO NOT want to do math. SCIENCE I can handle just fine.

ANYTHING but math.

• Author

I am willing to do ANY degree that does not have math. I will work very hard for a degree, as long as math is NOT involved.

ANy ideas?

Obviously, I need a career councellor.

Um … what happened to the "certificates" you told us you were in classes for lately? There was a travel agent one, and I forget the other ... Dropped out of those? Or were you not really doing them?

Sure, I have my talents, but I am frankly too lazy to be super, super amazing enough to make it on my own, without a degree; I just do not have it in me to be that fabulous to get a good paying job with out a degree to back me up.

That is quite a mouthful of words to say … nothing.

Do you have it in you to get a part time job and make that work for you for at least one year? I think that would be a realistic place for you to be starting. NOW.

• Author
Um … what happened to the "certificates" you told us you were in classes for lately? There was a travel agent one, and I forget the other ... Dropped out of those? Or were you not really doing them?

I do not want certificates.

Like many people in their 20's, I had several options I wanted to try, tried them out, and did not think they would lead to a fruitfull future.

First of all, since I joined here, I started a nutrition degree, but soon found out I would not be able to endure it; I hate math. It is not worth getting a degree over. I would rather eat sh*t than do math at Uni in my 20's. When I was 18 fresh out of high school YES, but not now.

The I tried my luck in travel sales. I have an ideal personality for it, but lack the passion for it; you do extremely challenging computer orianted work, at COLLEGE level, and the pay is EQUAL to retail and being a waitress.

It is actually a dead end job.

..............I thought certificates were a better option than a degree, until I actually did more research, and found out child care or travel sales DO NOT pay well.

• Author
That is quite a mouthful of words to say … nothing.

Do you have it in you to get a part time job and make that work for you for at least one year? I think that would be a realistic place for you to be starting. NOW.

Yes that is my plan; but also to find a degree that will pay well, and start that part time too.

My plan, after MUCH, MUCH, MUCH consideration, is to go down the degree route, whilst also working.

I have literally tried EVERYTHING I wanted to try out, in terms of career paths....

I know getting a degree is the best way for me to get a good paying job, or at least a decent paying job that pays my bills and allows for a buit of travel, and hopefully a career I enjoy and actually feel proud about.

I have been extremely carefull not to just jump into things, insofar as stabilizing a career path.

I know a degree is what I need personally, as I lack what is needed to make it without one.

• Author

I am currently in the process of applying for work, and taking job interviews.

I am actually looking mostly in Sydney, as that is where more jobs are.

Thank god I love to read, for the 1.5 hour train commute EACH WAY.

I will take the FIRST job offer I get believe me!

The only variables now are: what job will I get, where will it be, and what degree will I enroll to study for next year?

And: will I study and work full time or part time?

^^^^

Leigh, do you realize that you are constantly equivocating and rationalizing in dozens of different ways to justify doing … pretty much, nothing?

For example:

I have been extremely carefull not to just jump into things, insofar as stabilizing a career path.

That is simply bogus, Leigh. You say a different thing here every week. None of us know what is true and what is a fantasy … or an outright lie. But I can think, off the top of my head, of 4 different "career paths" you've sworn you're committed to over recent months.

You're not jumping into things - you're not actually doing anything at all.

Do you have to declare a major when you start school in Australia, or can you just go and get the general education underway while you decide? That's the norm for most college students here in the USA. Few know what they'll major in during their first year or two of school.

The way you seem to "need" to decide your entire "career path" before you can even take a single step in a direction of being an adult seems kind of unrealistic to me.

I know this infuriates you, and that some other people here don't agree with me, but I think your parents are doing you a tremendous disservice by allowing you to continue being a freeloader without limits.

If my American, un college educated daughter can find a job in Australia over the Internet, get a visa and be headed over there for work next week … you could get a job, if you would approach it professionally and maturely. THAT is what you need to do.

Edited by Mme. Chaucer
  • Author

I HAVE TRIED all the career paths I was interested in.

I had a few ideas, tried out the courses (personal training and travel sales) and disliked both of them as a long term career path.

I tried Nutrition too, as a degree.

So there are three things I tried and actually got the qualifications for during my time on here (for personal training)

I did the right thing; I tried everything, and decided a degree was the most stable and highest paying option for me.

I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO DO NOTHING UNTIL I GET A FREAKING JOB.

What is WRONG with you?

I am trying my BEST to get a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I apply for a lot of jobs EVERY DAY.

.....................SO, besides looking for a job, and deciding which degree to study for, when else CAN I DO???????

MY parents say as long as I look as hard as I can for work, and enroll myself into a degree for next year, that they realise I CANNOT DO ANYTHING ELSE

• Author

Seriously. WHAT ELSE CAN I DO!?????????????????

I am looking for work as HARD as I can,

I am about to enroll to study for the NEXT POSSIBLE OPPORTUNITY.

If there is ANYTHING else I CAN do, please, enlighten me.

ANd no, therapy does not count, I am seeing someone and have that taken care of.

My therapist agrees that looking for work as hard as I can, and enrolling to study a professional degree, are the BEST OPTIONS for me.

Seriously. WHAT ELSE CAN I DO!?????????????????

I am looking for work as HARD as I can,

I am about to enroll to study for the NEXT POSSIBLE OPPORTUNITY.

If there is ANYTHING else I CAN do, please, enlighten me.

ANd no, therapy does not count, I am seeing someone and have that taken care of.

My therapist agrees that looking for work as hard as I can, and enrolling to study a professional degree, are the BEST OPTIONS for me.

You "dislike" the personal training thing? I thought it was a "passion"?

Alrighty, then. Check back in when you have started your "studies" and / or have a real, paying job that you're going to be able to be hold onto. I'll be a very supportive booster for either or both.

Give all the whining about your travel passion a rest. You have plenty of time to start talking about that when you've saved up some money for your tickets.

• Author
You "dislike" the personal training thing? I thought it was a "passion"?

Alrighty, then. Check back in when you have started your "studies" and / or have a real, paying job that you're going to be able to be hold onto. I'll be a very supportive booster for either or both.

Give all the whining about your travel passion a rest. You have plenty of time to start talking about that when you've saved up some money for your tickets.

Oh, I love personal training, but the gyms you work for charge a lot of rent.

One gym charged thousands just to sign up to work with them.

My parents and my good friend who has actually done this himself, suggested my best bet would be to start my own business, for older australians, that is cheat and would feed a gap in the market.

My parents were willing to help me out/pay for insurance and my friend was going to help get my started.

I WANT to work at the gyms, but it is extremely hard to make money off of personal training, and expensive since you have to pay rent.

I think getting a degree should be my game plan, and personal training be a happy bonus if it works out as a job to fund my travels.

I actually cannot afford to pau for therapy and the re registration for personal training at this stage, so personal training is not an option yet.

• Author

Yeah okay fine, all I can do now is look for work, and wait until study time comes around.

I may not even GET into the degree I want to study for, although I got 90 plus % in my score to get into Uni, so should hopefully get into what I want to study for.

I will report back when I have gotten into my degree, and gotten a job.

All I ca do in the meanwhile is try my best to find work.

I do have one thread I want feedback on though; WHICH degree is right for me.

I need a career councellor obviously, but any additional help would be much appreciated.

Will you please answer this? It is my third try with the same question:

Do you have "general education" in Australia? This is the part of undergraduate studies here in the US that every student has to complete, regardless of what they end up majoring in. The general ed might vary between people interested in pursuing math/science majors and those who don't, but they cover basic education.

Do you have that, or do you not?

As I said, it is rare for college students to have their solid career choice made before their first day of school here. You make it sound like it's a requirement there.

Is it? Or can you just get busy with your general education when the semester starts, and worry about your major later?

Again I find this as ironic and a financial adviser who can't balance their own budget...

College is a business, and should be treated as such. Patronized only when that person knows what they want. Such a huge investment of time and money, it's not a department store. Most economist would advise against college as there's no ROI, but it would take a degree to actually realize that.

I have a BA in general studies and hopefully with get a graduate degree in a hard science once I'm doen working over seas.. Looking like physics, personally. You can't F*** with a physics degrees, as opposed to someone who sit's down with a Philosophy degree, wrong millennium ;)

I personally think it's best to get a more general, or broad degree. Work/career usually isn't what we've learn but an ends up being who we know, or by luck in most cases. Having a broad degree will at least blanket cover a general intelligence and not something specific like Spanish Literature (i know a dude).