Boss threatening to fire over printing a paper

So my boss calls me in this morning saying he found a page of non-work related printing at the printer from yesterday, saying that he can fire me for it and so on. I really had no clue it was against company policy as everyone else in my office frequently prints non-work related stuff. What I find appalling is that in my paperwork, there is no policy outlining anything and I should at least get a verbal or written warning before any termination. Issue is that my boss really loves to threaten to terminate people and not do so. Saying I broke his trust and everything! But I was appalled that printing one page of a recipe is grounds for immediate termination. You'd think I would have lied on my time sheet or something.

That an employer would terminate or threaten to terminate a valued employee over 10 cents worth of ink and paper is laughable, at least in my circle of employers. There's more to the story, one way or another.

If they do follow through, file that unemployment claim immediately. If not, continue on, focusing on your job, with one eye on one of their competitors for a lateral job move.

• Like 2
  • Author

I know, right? And to be honest, that's pretty much the entire story. He says he feels he can't trust me because of that. :rolleyes: I sent him an email saying I honestly did not know about this company policy he speaks of that terminates employees for printing a page or two of something personal. I didn't say it in those words, but I did say I should have asked permission, that I was willing to compensate and not let it happen again. But this guy can be a total micromanaging d-bag. He likes to throw his weight around. The job itself is fine, but he is a really odd one. I would definitely be filing for unemployment as I was never issued any sort of written contract or warning saying personal use of printing was prohibited or subject to termination.

Edited by pink_sugar

If he someone who typically enjoys making these threats and does not follow through with them...he doesnt want to fire people that will get unemployment, doesnt want the turn over or, just enjoys the power.

With a jackass like that - sometimes the best thing to do is just listen to his rant, ignore it and carry on. No apologies. Because that validates his nonsense and wont make a difference anyway. If you must account for your actions just make it simple: I understand, Sorry about that.

• Like 2