Letter of recommendation. Standard practice?

When asking for a letter of recommendation is it normal to have the person (boss/teacher) to tell you to write it up and they will sign it? Because this has happened to me three times. I hate it because I have a tendancy to talk myself down.

It's more common than not. I would take the opportunity and run with it. Sell yourself and be a bit arrogant - this is one of the occasions when its acceptable ;)

• Author

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to ask other people's opinions and then make up a letter of recommendation from that. :)

wtf? I've NEVER heard of this. Not to mention it could involve lots of wasted time for you if they want edits, and they don't agree with this or that - just write the freakin' letter themselves. To me it comes off as dishonest to write your own letter of recommendation (I understand people are trying to save time, but honestly). It's a letter that's 2 - 3 paragraphs long, tops...is it really that involved?

I'd be afraid that, if I had multiple letters of recommendation, a subsequent employer might notice a similarity in the writing styles and figure they're phony.

If you have any written comments from previous performance reviews, now might be the time to dig them up.