LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Picking Career in Mid to Late 20's

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd December 2012, 9:16 PM   #46
Established Member

I have spent years figuring out the best outcome for me, career wise.

The only other ways, besides a degree, that would have lead to a comfortable life, would have been:
- personal training, doing exceptionally well in that area. With most gyms charging 250 PLUS a week in rent, it is VERY HARD to make a living from it, much less a good living.
-childcare or travel sales were the only other options besides getting a degree of some sort.

...So, I can either get a degree, or do 30K jobs for most of my life.
It was an easy choice in the end. I did fully explore the no - degree options, and they just did not appeal to me as a life long career prospect for me.
I know not all degrees will even get you out of poverty, however, the degree I am doing will get me AT LEAST an office job, without the masters, that would START on a little more than 30K a year.
With a masters, there are honestly a LOT of options that lead to jobs that pay far better than working as a waitress, child care worker, or a personal trainer my whole life.
Leigh 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 10:33 PM   #47
Established Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerisland View Post
You are aware that most likely even with a degree you will be doing 30k jobs? Unless you study some good engineering degree or it degree and most importantly if you HAVE good connections your degree won't matter. But most people don't have those connections.

We have it better here in Australia...

I know for certain, based on research and people in different industries telling me so: getting my degree will not ammount to 30K jobs for most of my life.

I may start out on it, but if I am personable, work hard, and enjoy the job on SOME level: I am sure to get paid more than a WAITRESS.....

For instance, you Americans pay teachers terribly......(totally unjustified and disgusting if you ask me).Where as HERE in AUS, teachers get paid a sallary they can LIVE on, and even afford holidays on if they are childless.
Teachers are on about 70K here, which is enough for a childless person in a cheap living arrangement to travel overseas........

In terms of degrees here, most degrees get paid over 30K.

20 -30K is what a WAITRESS gets.

...With my degree, I with all the differing majors, masters, and DIFFERING degrees I can transfer into if I am doing well/want a better outcome......
....I would at least get 50K after a couple of years, and then more.

If your a social worker even, and your good at your job, within 5 years you get 50K or more...
Old 3rd December 2012, 10:38 PM   #48
Established Member

I do know that here in Aus, my degree DOES lead to a better outcome than being a waitress, or basic retail worker.

You just have to be personable, work hard, and not expect it to happen right away.
I will just be thrilled to have other options than being a waitress.
And, by the way - I will probably DO waitressing jobs at night or bar work at night WHILE I work my degree job.... To get 50K a year instead of the 30K I might start on.

I am very lucky that I enjoy bar work, because if I did that after my 9 - 5 job most days, I could earn a living and even save for a holiday.
Old 3rd December 2012, 10:44 PM   #49
Established Member

I have travelled around the USA when I was younger - you know, it is a nice place in some parts, and I have not lived there or explored it as extensively as a local....

However, I was appalled that people with menial jobs lived in such abject poverty.

Here in Aus, my boyfriends friends do NOT have degrees; the women work in office and menial jobs, and are ABLE TO MAKE A LIVING. And even save for holidays.

People with menial jobs or basic office jobs that get say, 30 - 40K a year, STILL do not live in poverty.

.....Again, based on the facts here, I am likely to NOT do 30K jobs my whole life, if I get my degree and then get my masters in a relevent area...
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:04 PM   #50

Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow where the midnight sun and the hot springs glow. Not really. Oregon.
Maybe you should think of a different term than "menial" jobs. It sounds demeaning.
Mme. Chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:19 PM   #51
Established Member

Menial jobs are no more lowly than degree orientated jobs in my opinion.

I will stop using that term then, if it is condescending in any way, since it is not what I am alluding to at all....

In my mind mind, degree based jobs, on average, get paid more than waitressing jobs and the like; that is the ONLY difference. There is NO difference in the quality of people.
I do not blame people for wanting to work as a waitress, instead of studying their butts off to get the SAME wage....

The fact is: my good friend and I, both good students, believe that getting our degree, based on the research and outcomes of other students.... Will lead to a better paid job than that of a waitress.
We are both pretty lucky people and believe in ourselves in terms of the work we will secure after our degrees.
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:25 PM   #52
Established Member

I am sick of people assuming I am destined to a life of poverty and 30K a year paychecks for the rest of my life..

Like sheesh, almost every person who gets my degree earns more than 30K a year ultimately!
It is rare that any of them went on to earn the same or similar to minimum wage. Most did better than that.

...In Aus, virtually every person WITH a degree, gets paid more than a person who is a waitress, retail worker, travel agent, or minimum wage jobs.
And your forgetting the fact that if I manage to get through the 3 year degree, I will go for the masters in a field that will ammount to money....

I AM getting the degree for my own personal fullfillment yes, I actually have dreamt about it lately, I have dreamt about going back to Uni. I am very much looking forward to it.

However, I am expecting to eventually get paid more than a minimum wage job. Based on the outcomes of all the other people in AUS who do my degree, and do majors that dictate it.
Old 4th December 2012, 12:07 AM   #53

Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow where the midnight sun and the hot springs glow. Not really. Oregon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
I am sick of people assuming I am destined to a life of poverty and 30K a year paychecks for the rest of my life..
I doubt that people think that's necessarily the case and that most will be very supportive once you start working towards your goal.
Mme. Chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 12:33 AM   #54
Established Member

Well, my good friend who is doing the exact same degree, and will do the same masters, has had industry people TELL her the likely outcome of her studies and subsequent job offers and the sallaries she should expect....

She has no doubt she will get a job that pays above minumum wage after her degree, and has had several sources IN the industries she is aspiring to get into, TELL her that based on her degree, she will earn WELL ABOVE the poverty line..........

In terms of working towards my goals, I AM taking ALL the necessary steps. Therapy, enrolling in Uni, trying to keep fit and healthy in order to have a healthy functioning body and mind.
I have done all I CAN DO right now.
So you cannot not really crittique my efforts yet, until I prove that I am too stupid or not motivated enough and drop out. Which I cannot see ever happening, since I am 25, and DESPERATE to work towards a propper career at last.

I will also enroll in the essay writing courses and basic bridging courses before I commence study, such as the "study planning bridging course".
I will probably be fine without anally preparing, however I am going to do literally everything in my power to help me pass.

Why not be a positive person, more like me, and be like " well done Leigh, good luck in your studies, if you work hard you will get he degree like every one else does"
I am very tired of you assuming the worst out of me, you have a very defeatest and pessimistic attitude.

What's more: my parents, who know me better than anyone else, also can see that I am serious about wanting to have a life for myself, and they KNOW I am severely unhappy with NOT working towards my future.

Like I said - this is my BEST option.
I would know, as I have literally TRIED the other options I was going to consider, and KNOW the non degree options are not as rewarding financially and otherwise as getting the degree at last.

.................................................. .................

I will be delighted if I can get a part time job and study full time. That is literally my dream right now, as simple as it sounds.
And of course, ONE overseas adventure during the 4 years of study. Which I have calculated is possible if I save for only one year.
Old 4th December 2012, 12:50 AM   #55
Established Member

I want to add, that I am EXTREMELY excited about being a full time student, with part time work.

Honestly - my dream, all I WANT in life right now, is to study full time, and work part time.

I willl work hard, but have a lovely flat or mansion (I live at Andrews mansion mostly) to come home to, without worrying about bills or where my next meal is coming from.
I will have to buy the cheapest of the cheap products but who cares? I get a nice house and am free from poverty.

So I am in a very privileged position, and I am very, very greatfull. I will work hard all day most days, then go home to a lovely home, go for a run and work, then go back to a lovely place to sleep, without worrying about bills or wheather I will be able to eat the next day.

Some nights all I will have to do is study all day, go for a run, then go to bed and watch documentaries with my dogs and partner for a couple of hours. As I only plan on working part time.......
Old 4th December 2012, 9:40 AM   #56
Established Member

I am 29 years old and working on my second degree to change careers.

I graduated college with a degree that really didn't work for me (I went to college younger than most and had no idea what I wanted to do) and went to work as a graphic & web designer. Although I'd always been interested in computers, I never thought of it as a viable career path. However, during the first couple of years of work as a graphic designer, my focus began to shift heavily towards IT infrastructure.

Eventually I moved to the US and in order to survive, I became a freelance web designer. I hated it even more, but I knew I wouldn't be able to get out of it without a solid plan. So I went back to school and I'm now working on a second degree in IT (System Administration). That was five years ago, and I'm about to graduate.

Frankly, I don't understand why all this fuss about working part time, or full time, or to take 3 subjects instead of 4. When I started out, I was working 20-30 hours per week (freelance work) and taking 5 courses. I had plenty of free time on my hands.

Now, I work full time, 45-hours/week. I also take 4 college courses in a Science degree (read: challenging curriculum!) and I still manage to have a social life. This year alone, I've gone on a cruise, an international trip to visit my family in Europe and countless weekend roadtrips/getaways. I also have a fulfilling relationship with a man who, coincidentally, does exactly the same thing (so he's stupidly busy as well).

My point? You don't have to choose. You can do it all. It's not for the faint of heart, and it takes an extreme amount of willpower and mental fortitude, but you CAN do it.

The question is, do you want it bad enough to put in the effort it takes?

Good luck!

-A
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 4:59 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabella View Post
I am 29 years old and working on my second degree to change careers.

I graduated college with a degree that really didn't work for me (I went to college younger than most and had no idea what I wanted to do) and went to work as a graphic & web designer. Although I'd always been interested in computers, I never thought of it as a viable career path. However, during the first couple of years of work as a graphic designer, my focus began to shift heavily towards IT infrastructure.

Eventually I moved to the US and in order to survive, I became a freelance web designer. I hated it even more, but I knew I wouldn't be able to get out of it without a solid plan. So I went back to school and I'm now working on a second degree in IT (System Administration). That was five years ago, and I'm about to graduate.

Frankly, I don't understand why all this fuss about working part time, or full time, or to take 3 subjects instead of 4. When I started out, I was working 20-30 hours per week (freelance work) and taking 5 courses. I had plenty of free time on my hands.

Now, I work full time, 45-hours/week. I also take 4 college courses in a Science degree (read: challenging curriculum!) and I still manage to have a social life. This year alone, I've gone on a cruise, an international trip to visit my family in Europe and countless weekend roadtrips/getaways. I also have a fulfilling relationship with a man who, coincidentally, does exactly the same thing (so he's stupidly busy as well).

My point? You don't have to choose. You can do it all. It's not for the faint of heart, and it takes an extreme amount of willpower and mental fortitude, but you CAN do it.

The question is, do you want it bad enough to put in the effort it takes?

Good luck!

-A
Not everyone operates that way, I worked 60 hours a week and went to school full time and had NO social life and there was no time for it.

Work from 3-12pm, go home and do homework until 3am, sleep till 7 and go to school. Get out at 2 and go back to work, tell me how much time there is for social activities then.

Also, not everyone can do it anyway. My homework and tests suffered because I rarely got enough sleep.

There's a real problem in this day and age with people thinking "I can do it, so everyone can" and it tends to irk me. Some people could build a house in a day too, most people couldn't.
IcedEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 5:35 PM   #58
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedEarth View Post
Not everyone operates that way, I worked 60 hours a week and went to school full time and had NO social life and there was no time for it.

Work from 3-12pm, go home and do homework until 3am, sleep till 7 and go to school. Get out at 2 and go back to work, tell me how much time there is for social activities then.

Also, not everyone can do it anyway. My homework and tests suffered because I rarely got enough sleep.

There's a real problem in this day and age with people thinking "I can do it, so everyone can" and it tends to irk me. Some people could build a house in a day too, most people couldn't.
I am assuming you mean until 12am, not 12pm, because DAMN, 13 hours of homework?! I definitely agree with this. People would tell us to work several jobs and it really isn't for everyone, some people can handle it and some cannot.
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 5:53 PM   #59
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedEarth View Post

[snip]

I work 45, not 60. If I worked 60 I couldn't do it either. Those 15 hours extra hours you mentioned are where I fit my homework and my social activities. Not entirely sure why you got defensive here.

I rarely get more than 6 hours of sleep, and yes, it sucks being constantly on the go and having little to no time to slow down, but it is doable if you want it bad enough.

When it comes down to it, it's about priorities. Do you want to sleep more and have time to do more fun things? Or do you want to have money to pay the rent? I don't have the luxury of being able to live at my parent's house, so this is what I have to do to get my goals accomplished.

Nothing wrong with having help from family, but if you absolutely HAD to do this or else you'd be living in the streets, you'd find a way to.

Hence what I said to the OP... how bad do you want it? It's all about what you're willing to sacrifice to do it.

-A
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 8:32 PM   #60
Established Member

Arrabella - I have a lot of respect for people who study and work full time.

Here is my plan, I;d appreciate you taking the time to read it, and giving my your feedback.

I PLAN on working pretty much full time eventually, but based on my predicament (mentally and in terms of my recent study experience), I do not think full time study AND work is the best option for me at THIS stage....

My situation is: I have gone from doing NOTHING: I think Going from NOTHING to full time work and study, when my mental health is not on par, is not going to be the BEST option for me.
Although my GOAL is to work my way into working MORE, whilst studying full time.

Ideally, I would like to start with about 30 hours work per week, as a waitress, because it gets fitness in, and I will not have to run as long for fitness/cardio (I need to start thinking in terms of what is time efficient!)
Put it this way: when I get a waitressing job, I am going to give them my Uni hours, and tell them to call me in as much as possible. There is not much full time waitressing work out there, until you establish yourself and they need quality staff.
I would say that I would get about 30 hours a week, to begin with, in a waitressing or retail based position. THAT is my goal to START with.

My mother works to support my ailing father, who has been dying of very bad heart disease. He is obviously too ill to work.....
Therefore, of course I want to be able to support myself entirely. I aim to work as much as I can handle; even part time work ( 25hours a week) in addition to the AUS STUDY allowance (200 dollars per week), would be enough to fully support myself, and even contribute a little towards rent.
Mum OWNS the flat, therefore I would only need about 50 dollars a week for utilities, given I do not leave lights on and I am pretty good with the air conditioning. My ownly guilty pleasure is having long showers....
Moreover, I do not really live at the flat often; I mostly live with ANDREW: the Uni is very close to his house, so I will be living there mostly.

His father does not get me to pay rent, he is rich and as long as I buy dinner and wine once a week and keep the place clean, I do not have to pay rent there.