Picking Career in Mid to Late 20's

Any others here who took until age 25 for a career path to really click for them?

Care to share your stories?

It will make me feel better to hear other adults in their mid to late 20's only JUST registering what they need to do in life as their best option (for them, not what others expect or deem worthy)

I have tried working towards different careers, only to see that there were better options. The industries were drying up (as a travel agent/consultant), the pay was terrible (childcare or a travel agent), or I hated the degree so much it was not worth a good job (nutrition).

I have seriously considered about 4 career paths in the past two years. I have truly thought long and hard about my options.

I have given it a great deal of time and thought, I have government benifits and parents who help me a great deal, so I have been given a lot of time to figure out what I really wanted to do.

The best option I feel, is for me to study social sciences and become a social worker. I would be able to help disadvantaged children get back into school, among other people in need or help and direction like I have been myself up until I start my degree.

It is growing industry, the pay is about 70K on average, and I could make a difference to some peoples lives.

The degree is mostly reading, without math or science apart from statistics which is only for ONE semester. If that, I am not even sure if it is needed.

I feel a great sense of relief that I will soon be working towards something meaningfull.

It is a feeling like no other I have experienced; I have been chopping and changing so much I have felt very empty and unfullfilled, without a career I am working towards indefinately.

And I could always do personaltraining part time if I needed to.

Anyone else take a long time before they found a direction they felt at ease with?

Myself and several other friends of mine who were not particularly goal-oriented ended up falling into great careers. In my case, I had a job that I found very stimulating on many levels and turned out to be very good at. Ultimately I had my own business in that field. But I NEVER would have picked it and worked towards it. My degree was in English Literature!

How is your job at Subway?

My husband didn't go back to school until he was 23 and it's taken us 6 years to complete college. He's almost 29 now. I can understand how hard it is because a lot of people descriminate against people who decide on a career path later in life...saying they have no ambition and so forth. I know my dad said this about my husband a lot. It's better late than never though. I'm 23 and have made several changes in major.

Well, I'm 44 and just figured it all out. I'm starting university in January. I plan to get some higher degrees too, so I'll be in school for the next ten years probably. I don't think it's ever too late to start something new.

I have no career chosen in my late 20's, and probably never will. Some people get lucky and are basically given it or pushed towards it, not me. I have no clue.

• Like 1

I started school for my cosmetology license at the start of this year and just have one more week left (I'm 29). I think that it's rare to know exactly what you want to do when you're 18, there's no shame in changing/choosing your career path in your 20s or later. Just a year or two ago I would not have thought that cosmetology would be something I would want to do in a million years (I originally went to school when I was 18 for a bachelor of science in psychology, which I completed). I'm not particularly creative or fashionable and don't care too much about what I look like. Various jobs over the years though have showed me that I would like the customer service aspect of it, doing something practical with my hands, the flexibility and independance you can have in this field.

When I first started thinking about cosmetology I was working as a receptionist in the cosmetology department in another school, both the head of the department and the clinic manager laughed at me when I first brought the idea up. I'll be honest, it did discourage me. I AM better at theory than practical BUT in the end I decided I wasn't going to be put in a box. So far in my training I have not regretted my decision.

• Like 2

I'm 32 and have been in IT for over 10 years (same company too). The pay and flexibility is great, but I want to do something new.

So, Now I'm half-way through the process of getting into the police. Vastly different pay and career, but it's what I want to do.

People change careers all the time, even with huge steps backwards in pay and seniority - don't worry about it if it makes you happy.

• Like 2
todreaminblue
I started school for my cosmetology license at the start of this year and just have one more week left (I'm 29). I think that it's rare to know exactly what you want to do when you're 18, there's no shame in changing/choosing your career path in your 20s or later. Just a year or two ago I would not have thought that cosmetology would be something I would want to do in a million years (I originally went to school when I was 18 for a bachelor of science in psychology, which I completed). I'm not particularly creative or fashionable and don't care too much about what I look like. Various jobs over the years though have showed me that I would like the customer service aspect of it, doing something practical with my hands, the flexibility and independance you can have in this field.

When I first started thinking about cosmetology I was working as a receptionist in the cosmetology department in another school, both the head of the department and the clinic manager laughed at me when I first brought the idea up. I'll be honest, it did discourage me. I AM better at theory than practical BUT in the end I decided I wasn't going to be put in a box. So far in my training I have not regretted my decision.

When i was at school my interest was journalism did my work experience at a television station/local radio...i volunteered at another radio station did the courses and had a friday night request show with a friend......i fund raised marched in anti nuclear /disarmament rally joined the ses and decided defence was where i wanted to aim...so i joined the navy really young......thought i would finish my hsc before they called me they called me early....so i went to experience working for a living first book keeping accounting then worked on the floor when i was bored learning to guillotine sheet metal.....then i did shoe making at factory all before i went into the navy.....now that was over twenty years ago and a few more jobs after I became a full time mum....five children later all grown now into teens and young adults....i want to work, have no idea what to do i have decided just to do course after course that is useful...volunteering help with my local church if they need me..........thinking of being a farmer so doing sustainable agriculture first...my mum wants me to help run a sustainable farm.....do some refresher book keeping courses......accounting ......so i can run the books as well......the farm wont be for a year....hesitant to start a job where i would leave in a year, to me reliability is key with employment and life in general....i like to be reliable....i need some structure so i think course after course might keep my brain active and regenerate some of my capacity to learn morph my brain cells back to life.....i have always wanted to live on a farm.....i like the simple life......the green trees.......so thinking of being a poetry writing sustainable farmer who can keep books in perfect symmetry.....smilin...honestly courses are my best option at my age...i need updating....and not put pressure on myself to finish them all in a month and still be a full time mum....feeling tired writing this need to go lie down(lol kidding)......any age anything is possible that's my tangent...i also have decided i want to be able to share my dreams with someone special....so thats another thing i add to my growing pile of long term goals....I have hope and that is where the goals will start from dreams to reality...deb

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Like 1
I'm 32 and have been in IT for over 10 years (same company too). The pay and flexibility is great, but I want to do something new.

So, Now I'm half-way through the process of getting into the police. Vastly different pay and career, but it's what I want to do.

People change careers all the time, even with huge steps backwards in pay and seniority - don't worry about it if it makes you happy.

Wow, there must be a decent job market there!

I would have probably been a cop myself if I wouldn't be disqualified by the physical. No cartilage in knee = never becoming a cop.

• Like 1
I have no career chosen in my late 20's, and probably never will. Some people get lucky and are basically given it or pushed towards it, not me. I have no clue.

It's not luck it's having the fortitude to make yourself do something that pays well even though it's not as fun as sitting around smoking dope.

• Like 1

OP...

It's crazy, everything we were taught growing up doesn't make sense, and doesn't lead to even a generic form of happiness. An economist would tell college isn't worth the investment, that a trade or a niche-skill would though.

You have to have to find what you need and want in your heart as an endpoint, then backmap it. think of the things you would need to do to get there. your choice could be something simple or something huge, but point is is that it's heartful, and not coming from any other influence.

Me, I wanted to be a scientist by the age of 3. I still very much plan to pursue that goal. Not a teacher, a scientist, even if it just in my garage. I just want to know more about the physical universe I'm currently inhabiting. I don't really want to work for anyone else.

the most important thing in life is time and our loved ones. No one ever wishes they have a different career on their deathbed, or more money, or anything of the sort. They wish for more time (obviously better health, but yeah). Think about that if you ever try to find your heartful ending.

When I did, I came out of the process with exactly what I was meant to be in this life..

A father, a hubby, a lover, a gardener, a son, a brother, a neighbor, maybe an author, definitely a social entrepreneur, a garage tinkering physicist.. and a great many other things, but what I want to be and what I do for money at the moment are two different things.

• Like 2
skydiveaddict
Any others here who took until age 25 for a career path to really click for them?

Hell, I didn't even graduate from college until I was 32; and even then I didn't have a clue what to do. But eventually it worked out.

Don't worry so much. You've got lots of time to figure it out.

I am 30 and attending college. I had some health problems which stole my twenties so now I am studying.

Since I have a customer service background and great communication skills, I have chosen the medical administrative career path.

• Author
Myself and several other friends of mine who were not particularly goal-oriented ended up falling into great careers. In my case, I had a job that I found very stimulating on many levels and turned out to be very good at. Ultimately I had my own business in that field. But I NEVER would have picked it and worked towards it. My degree was in English Literature!

How is your job at Subway?

My mother is an English teacher. Well, she was a dancer, then a dance teacher, then a french teacher and now teaches English overseas.

English and language is her strong point.

I studied linguistics for a year and it was SO boring. Glad some people enjoy leadning about it, though!

when you are in your early twenties there is a LOT of pressure to have it all figured out. Many people don't fully work out what they want to do til they are much older. At 25 a lot of ppl barely know who you are let alone what career you want. Don't sweat it.

In my case i always knew what i wanted to do, i just had to figure out a way to get there.

• Like 3
  • Author

THANKS so much guys....

I really thought I wanted to be a nutritionist for my adult life, but then in my mid 20's, I did not want to spend it doing maths and science.

The degree was just not worth the torture.

So, I picked another degree I felt equally suited towards.

I don't start until next year in Feb.

When I was starting my post high-school life, it was pretty typical for people to start college with "general education" lower level undergrad classes; those that are needed for any degree, and just get going in their higher education. Maybe community college, since it's so much more affordable. The major can be declared later.

It's just the same way now with many of my daughter's friends.

A lot of people go through their entire higher education without a clear idea of what their job goal is for after they graduate. This is not very economically feasible, but it's common. A young friend is about to graduate in Comparative Literature with a minor in Romantic Languages; she's applying for grad school. I think the only job options will be in academia.

It sounds, from your posts, Leigh, that in your country, you have to declare a major before you even begin college? Is this true?

I fell into my current career at age 30. It seems to be my "calling" (I'm really good at it, and I find it incredibly rewarding), but I never would have chosen it before it was basically dumped in my lap.

I fell into my current career at age 30. It seems to be my "calling" (I'm really good at it, and I find it incredibly rewarding), but I never would have chosen it before it was basically dumped in my lap.

I think this also goes to show that even if you think you know what you're "calling" is at a younger age...life can always throw you a curve ball, dumping something into your lap and it becomes a new passion. It's nice to have things worked out and have a plan of action, but things can always change for you when you least expect it.

So to the O.P., just go with what you love doing NOW.

• Author

Bit depressed here....

Man, it is SO hard to find part time student jobs for me.

I just messed up another interview. Don't ask how, I know how, and I know how to nail interviews. Sometimes I am not in the right headspace and I am not organised.

And the job I "got" at Subway has fallen through: the manager said " I will set you up online, you will do the training, and then I will call you to come in and work"

..Have not heard from her since. Great.

Sometimes it feels like all I will do is bl00dy study with NO hope of finding part time work, and NO life besides studying

Studying is going to be mighty depressing if I can NEVEr find part time work.

I NEED to look forward to a road trip here and there, and at least ONE overseas trip in 3 bl00dy years of studying hard.

I am at a loss. I cannot see myself finding any part time job, besides the one I start mis November, which ONLY goes for ONE lousy month.

*sigh*. I am friendly, give excellent customer service, customers love me, but I have had SUCH bad luck with finding part time work.

Don't know what to do. If I cannot find part time work I am DOOMED. 3 years of utter HELL here I come.. ( how long my degree takes)

Study studt studying with no chance for extra fun cos NO ONE will hire me.

I am going to go back to crying now seeya guys.

I don't WANT to study full time with NO part time job.

*cries*.

Man, I NEED to earn SOME cash during my studies...

I break down and cry regularly because sometimes if feels like I will be studying with NO part time job, NO cash, and NO travels, music festivals or ANYTHING.

I am so greatful to be able to study what I want, but man, I really really reall reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy NEED to save SOME cash while I do it.

All I want is a part time job to afford ONE overseas trip whilst I study.

Anyway, I am going to go and cry more now..

I dream about travelling every night, literally; I dream about studying and saving some cash.

I dream every night

• Author

*sigh* I was REALLY looking forward to studying and working a student type job part time.

Now it looks like all I will be doing is studying. FUN.

I so needed something to look forward to whilst I study!!!!!!!!!!!

I really do not mind studying if I work and have treats to look forward to.

I would rather go be a cleaner for a year, save, travel, then go study when I have travelled.

I would rather go be a cleaner for a year, save, travel, then go study when I have travelled.

Then do so!!! I am sure there are openings for cleaners in Aussie, mainly because unemployment isn't as high there as in some other countries, and even unemployed people don't want to do the dirty work. What is stopping you?

Leigh, to some people, an education is a privilege. It is something that they yearn for. Sure, there are the hard times, the times that you feel bogged down, but if you're approaching tertiary studies in the way you currently are BEFORE YOU HAVE EVEN STARTED THEM, you are just dooming yourself to failure. It's pointless. Save the money, save the spot for the people who want it, and go do a full-time job and then travel!

You should be excited about your studies at least before you begin them! If you aren't, don't do it. Go get the travel bug out of your system first.

Don't know what to do. If I cannot find part time work I am DOOMED. 3 years of utter HELL here I come.. ( how long my degree takes)

Study studt studying with no chance for extra fun cos NO ONE will hire me.

I am going to go back to crying now seeya guys.

I agree with El's post; get a cleaning job and travel if that is what you really want to do. School shouldn't feel like drudgery.

But for goodness sake, how have you concluded that you are doomed to 3 years without work? One semester at a time. Stay in the present; remember things never stay the same. Opportunities will present themselves when you least expect it.

• Like 1

Care to share your stories?

It will make me feel better to hear other adults in their mid to late 20's only JUST registering what they need to do in life as their best option (for them, not what others expect or deem worthy)

I have tried working towards different careers, only to see that there were better options. The industries were drying up (as a travel agent/consultant), the pay was terrible (childcare or a travel agent), or I hated the degree so much it was not worth a good job (nutrition).

I have seriously considered about 4 career paths in the past two years. I have truly thought long and hard about my options.

I have given it a great deal of time and thought, I have government benifits and parents who help me a great deal, so I have been given a lot of time to figure out what I really wanted to do.

The best option I feel, is for me to study social sciences and become a social worker. I would be able to help disadvantaged children get back into school, among other people in need or help and direction like I have been myself up until I start my degree.

It is growing industry, the pay is about 70K on average, and I could make a difference to some peoples lives.

The degree is mostly reading, without math or science apart from statistics which is only for ONE semester. If that, I am not even sure if it is needed.

I feel a great sense of relief that I will soon be working towards something meaningfull.

It is a feeling like no other I have experienced; I have been chopping and changing so much I have felt very empty and unfullfilled, without a career I am working towards indefinately.

And I could always do personaltraining part time if I needed to.

Anyone else take a long time before they found a direction they felt at ease with?

The economy made the decision for me...

I had to go back to school to reinvent myself at 25... its tough and exhausting! Best of luck to all who are going or are thinking about going through the process.