LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Picking Career in Mid to Late 20's

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd October 2012, 3:13 AM   #1
Established Member

Picking Career in Mid to Late 20's

Any others here who took until age 25 for a career path to really click for them?

Care to share your stories?

It will make me feel better to hear other adults in their mid to late 20's only JUST registering what they need to do in life as their best option (for them, not what others expect or deem worthy)

I have tried working towards different careers, only to see that there were better options. The industries were drying up (as a travel agent/consultant), the pay was terrible (childcare or a travel agent), or I hated the degree so much it was not worth a good job (nutrition).

I have seriously considered about 4 career paths in the past two years. I have truly thought long and hard about my options.
I have given it a great deal of time and thought, I have government benifits and parents who help me a great deal, so I have been given a lot of time to figure out what I really wanted to do.

The best option I feel, is for me to study social sciences and become a social worker. I would be able to help disadvantaged children get back into school, among other people in need or help and direction like I have been myself up until I start my degree.

It is growing industry, the pay is about 70K on average, and I could make a difference to some peoples lives.
The degree is mostly reading, without math or science apart from statistics which is only for ONE semester. If that, I am not even sure if it is needed.

I feel a great sense of relief that I will soon be working towards something meaningfull.
It is a feeling like no other I have experienced; I have been chopping and changing so much I have felt very empty and unfullfilled, without a career I am working towards indefinately.

And I could always do personaltraining part time if I needed to.

Anyone else take a long time before they found a direction they felt at ease with?
Leigh 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 8:15 AM   #2

Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow where the midnight sun and the hot springs glow. Not really. Oregon.
Myself and several other friends of mine who were not particularly goal-oriented ended up falling into great careers. In my case, I had a job that I found very stimulating on many levels and turned out to be very good at. Ultimately I had my own business in that field. But I NEVER would have picked it and worked towards it. My degree was in English Literature!

How is your job at Subway?
Mme. Chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 3:48 PM   #3
Established Member

My husband didn't go back to school until he was 23 and it's taken us 6 years to complete college. He's almost 29 now. I can understand how hard it is because a lot of people descriminate against people who decide on a career path later in life...saying they have no ambition and so forth. I know my dad said this about my husband a lot. It's better late than never though. I'm 23 and have made several changes in major.
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 3:55 PM   #4
Established Member

Well, I'm 44 and just figured it all out. I'm starting university in January. I plan to get some higher degrees too, so I'll be in school for the next ten years probably. I don't think it's ever too late to start something new.
River Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 4:40 PM   #5

Can't really help.. Was sort of handed one at 17.
Hawaii50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 5:16 PM   #6

I have no career chosen in my late 20's, and probably never will. Some people get lucky and are basically given it or pushed towards it, not me. I have no clue.
Hawaii50 likes this.
IcedEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 6:39 PM   #7
Established Member

I started school for my cosmetology license at the start of this year and just have one more week left (I'm 29). I think that it's rare to know exactly what you want to do when you're 18, there's no shame in changing/choosing your career path in your 20s or later. Just a year or two ago I would not have thought that cosmetology would be something I would want to do in a million years (I originally went to school when I was 18 for a bachelor of science in psychology, which I completed). I'm not particularly creative or fashionable and don't care too much about what I look like. Various jobs over the years though have showed me that I would like the customer service aspect of it, doing something practical with my hands, the flexibility and independance you can have in this field.

When I first started thinking about cosmetology I was working as a receptionist in the cosmetology department in another school, both the head of the department and the clinic manager laughed at me when I first brought the idea up. I'll be honest, it did discourage me. I AM better at theory than practical BUT in the end I decided I wasn't going to be put in a box. So far in my training I have not regretted my decision.
Old 23rd October 2012, 7:06 PM   #8
Established Member

I'm 32 and have been in IT for over 10 years (same company too). The pay and flexibility is great, but I want to do something new.

So, Now I'm half-way through the process of getting into the police. Vastly different pay and career, but it's what I want to do.

People change careers all the time, even with huge steps backwards in pay and seniority - don't worry about it if it makes you happy.
Old 23rd October 2012, 7:13 PM   #9
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post
I started school for my cosmetology license at the start of this year and just have one more week left (I'm 29). I think that it's rare to know exactly what you want to do when you're 18, there's no shame in changing/choosing your career path in your 20s or later. Just a year or two ago I would not have thought that cosmetology would be something I would want to do in a million years (I originally went to school when I was 18 for a bachelor of science in psychology, which I completed). I'm not particularly creative or fashionable and don't care too much about what I look like. Various jobs over the years though have showed me that I would like the customer service aspect of it, doing something practical with my hands, the flexibility and independance you can have in this field.

When I first started thinking about cosmetology I was working as a receptionist in the cosmetology department in another school, both the head of the department and the clinic manager laughed at me when I first brought the idea up. I'll be honest, it did discourage me. I AM better at theory than practical BUT in the end I decided I wasn't going to be put in a box. So far in my training I have not regretted my decision.

When i was at school my interest was journalism did my work experience at a television station/local radio...i volunteered at another radio station did the courses and had a friday night request show with a friend......i fund raised marched in anti nuclear /disarmament rally joined the ses and decided defence was where i wanted to aim...so i joined the navy really young......thought i would finish my hsc before they called me they called me early....so i went to experience working for a living first book keeping accounting then worked on the floor when i was bored learning to guillotine sheet metal.....then i did shoe making at factory all before i went into the navy.....now that was over twenty years ago and a few more jobs after I became a full time mum....five children later all grown now into teens and young adults....i want to work, have no idea what to do i have decided just to do course after course that is useful...volunteering help with my local church if they need me..........thinking of being a farmer so doing sustainable agriculture first...my mum wants me to help run a sustainable farm.....do some refresher book keeping courses......accounting ......so i can run the books as well......the farm wont be for a year....hesitant to start a job where i would leave in a year, to me reliability is key with employment and life in general....i like to be reliable....i need some structure so i think course after course might keep my brain active and regenerate some of my capacity to learn morph my brain cells back to life.....i have always wanted to live on a farm.....i like the simple life......the green trees.......so thinking of being a poetry writing sustainable farmer who can keep books in perfect symmetry.....smilin...honestly courses are my best option at my age...i need updating....and not put pressure on myself to finish them all in a month and still be a full time mum....feeling tired writing this need to go lie down(lol kidding)......any age anything is possible that's my tangent...i also have decided i want to be able to share my dreams with someone special....so thats another thing i add to my growing pile of long term goals....I have hope and that is where the goals will start from dreams to reality...deb
Hawaii50 likes this.

Last edited by todreaminblue; 23rd October 2012 at 7:15 PM..
todreaminblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 8:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enema View Post
I'm 32 and have been in IT for over 10 years (same company too). The pay and flexibility is great, but I want to do something new.

So, Now I'm half-way through the process of getting into the police. Vastly different pay and career, but it's what I want to do.

People change careers all the time, even with huge steps backwards in pay and seniority - don't worry about it if it makes you happy.
Wow, there must be a decent job market there!

I would have probably been a cop myself if I wouldn't be disqualified by the physical. No cartilage in knee = never becoming a cop.
IcedEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 9:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedEarth View Post
I have no career chosen in my late 20's, and probably never will. Some people get lucky and are basically given it or pushed towards it, not me. I have no clue.
It's not luck it's having the fortitude to make yourself do something that pays well even though it's not as fun as sitting around smoking dope.
Hawaii50 likes this.
123321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 9:38 PM   #12

OP...

It's crazy, everything we were taught growing up doesn't make sense, and doesn't lead to even a generic form of happiness. An economist would tell college isn't worth the investment, that a trade or a niche-skill would though.

You have to have to find what you need and want in your heart as an endpoint, then backmap it. think of the things you would need to do to get there. your choice could be something simple or something huge, but point is is that it's heartful, and not coming from any other influence.

Me, I wanted to be a scientist by the age of 3. I still very much plan to pursue that goal. Not a teacher, a scientist, even if it just in my garage. I just want to know more about the physical universe I'm currently inhabiting. I don't really want to work for anyone else.

the most important thing in life is time and our loved ones. No one ever wishes they have a different career on their deathbed, or more money, or anything of the sort. They wish for more time (obviously better health, but yeah). Think about that if you ever try to find your heartful ending.

When I did, I came out of the process with exactly what I was meant to be in this life..
A father, a hubby, a lover, a gardener, a son, a brother, a neighbor, maybe an author, definitely a social entrepreneur, a garage tinkering physicist.. and a great many other things, but what I want to be and what I do for money at the moment are two different things.
Hawaii50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 9:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
Any others here who took until age 25 for a career path to really click for them?
Hell, I didn't even graduate from college until I was 32; and even then I didn't have a clue what to do. But eventually it worked out.

Don't worry so much. You've got lots of time to figure it out.
skydiveaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:39 PM   #14

I am 30 and attending college. I had some health problems which stole my twenties so now I am studying.

Since I have a customer service background and great communication skills, I have chosen the medical administrative career path.
Nyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 5:39 AM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mme. Chaucer View Post
Myself and several other friends of mine who were not particularly goal-oriented ended up falling into great careers. In my case, I had a job that I found very stimulating on many levels and turned out to be very good at. Ultimately I had my own business in that field. But I NEVER would have picked it and worked towards it. My degree was in English Literature!

How is your job at Subway?

My mother is an English teacher. Well, she was a dancer, then a dance teacher, then a french teacher and now teaches English overseas.

English and language is her strong point.
I studied linguistics for a year and it was SO boring. Glad some people enjoy leadning about it, though!
Leigh 87 is offline   Reply With Quote