How did you figure out what career to be in?

I honestly don't think I'll ever figure it out. A lot of people know, and go to school for it. I went to school for what I thought sounded best just because and still have no idea what to do.

Anyone else have this experience? I'm hoping I just end up in a job that I like some day and I figure it out that way.

• Like 1

I went from wanting to be an RN, to a Psychologist, to a Realtor and then to Marketing. I started wanting to do Marketing when I landed an office job that had me doing online marketing through social media. I really want to grow in this outlet now...and I'm glad I switched my major to Business, as it's very practical no matter what I choose to do in business.

I honestly don't think I'll ever figure it out. A lot of people know, and go to school for it. I went to school for what I thought sounded best just because and still have no idea what to do.

Anyone else have this experience? I'm hoping I just end up in a job that I like some day and I figure it out that way.

What are your passions?

Where do your natural talents lie?

Whose pain do you feel?

What would you like to contribute to the world if money were no object?

What would you work for if you knew you only had 1 year to live? (I know people say I would just party it up lol but go deeper as this question can show you what you really are passionate about)

For me, I always knew deep down that if nothing were in my way, I'd want to do a PhD and teach/research. Seemed impossible, but often I think we know deep down what we want to do but are afraid we will fail at it or there seems to be too many barriers in the way. I say dream big :) Then set goals to make it happen...

Brian Tracy Personal Time Management 1 of 6 - YouTube

HokeyReligions

I'm a graphic designer - well, that's what my degree is in, with a minor in marketing.

What I do for a living is information management - the opposite side of the brain from graphic design!! I was an art director for a while and worked at various graphic design positions, but I got burned out.

I actually just was made an offer & accepted as an IM Supervisor - at the company I've been working contract for since June.

I dabble at design work on the side, but I lost my passion for it. I don't know what I may do next - I'm older now and with some health problems which don't allow me to pursue what I would really like to do now - plus I would have to start over again at a lower salary and get a different degree and its just not financially feasible for me now when I'm trying to plan retirement.

that said - some people know early what they want to do and they never lose their passion for it. Then there are people like me who chose one thing because they enjoy it, have been told they are good at it and who think - maybe I can make a good living at it, then find out the passion's not there long term, and others who just never really know what they want - they haven't hit on it yet or they just don't have the personality to stay at one thing for a long time because they get bored. That's not bad - in fact, IMHO, I admire those who can do so many different things.

Some are money-driven and others are not - and all of us can change over time and with different experiences both professional and personal.

I don't want the management responsibilities I used to have - even though I could make more money. My priorities have changed and I really don't want to move beyond what I'm doing now. I was actually hesitant to take this new job because as a contract person - in the same role - even though I made a little less, I was paid for overtime (& until last Friday I've been putting in a lot of OT) and now I will be exempt and paid a straight salary. But that salary is higher and I have an extra week off a per year. I will be working some OT, but I just hired someone to help me and will probably add two more people within a few months so hopefully I will not need to work so much OT.

Everything changes and its surprising and often scary when those changes happen.

The day I realized I was willingly working until 10PM without complaint and was actually enjoying myself.

It's 8PM now. I still have yet to leave. I still have energy. I'm a physicist/PhD student and I love my work - learning more every day is a wonderful experience. All the little stuff I complained about in other jobs doesn't matter a damn here. I love every second, even the bits I hate.

I just figured out when I was 30. However, I knew when I was a kid that architecture was something I was interested in. The problem that I had to overcome was I didn't pick up math very well in school. After a change of life I put in the effort and learned math well. I enrolled in college and now tutor math.

I was sort of handed a Career through the Military. I didn't, and still don't, care what I was going to be. Truth of the matter is, I don't want to BE anything... So it makes Careers a bit moot. I do IT work, It's bread and butter.

I was an electrical engineering major in my junior year of college and a racing buddy asked me if I wanted to learn how to do machine work. I said sure, gave it a whirl doing oilfied services work and fell in love with building things. I found engineering too sterile for my tastes, as I prefer to be on the shop floor getting dirty, so that's what I did, starting in oilfield services, then moving on to designing and building race cars, then to heavy industrial and hydraulics. Pretty much the same thing I did at age 8 except with bigger toys ;)

• Like 1

When I was applying for colleges my dad gave me an ultimatum. Chemical Engineering degree or have fun being forever in debt, because he wasn't going to help front the bills.

So... my dreams of being an English teacher were put aside and I studied Chemical Engineering for four years. It was both the most hellish and most reward experience. I'm not particularly good at chemistry or math. I certainly have no passion for either. But I have a strong work ethic and like solving puzzles.

I got a job right out of school as a chemical engineer and have been at it ever since. I absolutely love it. My dad wanted me to have the degree because I would always be able to find work, I would never have to worry about living paycheck to paycheck, and I can use the degree in so many fields (medicine, law business, oil, etc).

For me, a job isn't necessarily about passion. It's a job. It's not going to be a bucket of rainbows every day. Pick a career that's always in demand and pays well, even if it's not your "dream job."

I don't think I'll ever be satisfied... its just something you have to accept or chase for the rest of your life. I don't know a single person who loves what they do...