LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

My first second interview of my life. What to expect?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th October 2012, 1:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_sugar View Post
I love this one! So important because it really says a lot about the company and potential turnover. You definitely want to know what turnover is like and gauge if this is a company people like working for.
I thought about that and felt that as a unemployed person with UC running out can I really ask that question? I mean shouldn't I just be happy that the last person who had the position is no longer which gives me a opportunity?

I mean I can see a employed person asking that but someone like me? Even though I would like to know.
PhillyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 2:29 PM   #17
Established Member

It's to show interest and most importantly, fyi. My brother moved out of state to work at a minimum wage job that ended up having over 90% turnover. Needless to say, the job didn't work out.
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 2:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_sugar View Post
It's to show interest and most importantly, fyi. My brother moved out of state to work at a minimum wage job that ended up having over 90% turnover. Needless to say, the job didn't work out.

Yeah I know what you mean, I don't want to start a job and be unemployed again in 6 months. Whatever job I accept I definitely want to be there beyond 2013.
Old 11th October 2012, 2:56 PM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
I thought about that and felt that as a unemployed person with UC running out can I really ask that question? I mean shouldn't I just be happy that the last person who had the position is no longer which gives me a opportunity?

I mean I can see a employed person asking that but someone like me? Even though I would like to know.
Of course you can ask. It shows you have an interest in the make-up of the company and those interviewing you don't need to know how desperate you are. For all they know, you have many opportunities and are simply looking for the right fit.

Quote:
Yeah I know what you mean, I don't want to start a job and be unemployed again in 6 months. Whatever job I accept I definitely want to be there beyond 2013.
Then you need to express this. State that you are looking for the right position that will give you longevity and stability. You can even outline how that has not been possible with past positions which is why you are encouraged at this one (or something to that effect).
CarrieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 3:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieT View Post
Of course you can ask. It shows you have an interest in the make-up of the company and those interviewing you don't need to know how desperate you are. For all they know, you have many opportunities and are simply looking for the right fit.

Then you need to express this. State that you are looking for the right position that will give you longevity and stability. You can even outline how that has not been possible with past positions which is why you are encouraged at this one (or something to that effect).

The questions I decided to ask before I started this thread was

1. So what would be the main thing I would be evaluated on?

2. How often are performance reviews given?

3. What do you enjoy most about working here?

4. What attracted you to this organization?

5. When can I expect to hear from you regarding the next step in the hiring decision?
Old 11th October 2012, 3:06 PM   #21
Established Member

Quote:
1. So what would be the main thing I would be evaluated on?
Suggestions: Find some other word than "thing"... And are you asking about being evaluated for the hiring process? You need to assume they are going to hire you and look forward into the job process which goes back to my best question, "How can I succeed in this job?" It is more open-ended and shows your head is already in the job space versus the interview space.

Quote:
2. How often are performance reviews given?
Rephrase, "Can you tell me about the H.R. practices of reviews and promotions?" Again - this is a more open-ended question that shows you are thinking about the job process and not raises.

Quote:
5. When can I expect to hear from you regarding the next step in the hiring decision?
Rephrase again: Don't ask specifics but open-ended! "May I ask what your next steps are in the hiring process?" Not when they are expected to respond to YOU, but what their entire process is that is inclusive of others.
CarrieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 3:13 PM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
3. What do you enjoy most about working here?

4. What attracted you to this organization?
I like these two. I use these most of the time in my interviews. Though it's just one employee's opinion, I think it reveals a lot about whether or not the company is a good one to work for and looks after their employees to the extent that they are happy to work there.

Questions like these also make the interview less one-sided and more enjoyable, in my opinion. Which can help to make the interviewer like you a bit more and think that you'd be a good fit.
january2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 3:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieT View Post
Suggestions: Find some other word than "thing"... And are you asking about being evaluated for the hiring process? You need to assume they are going to hire you and look forward into the job process which goes back to my best question, "How can I succeed in this job?" It is more open-ended and shows your head is already in the job space versus the interview space.

Rephrase, "Can you tell me about the H.R. practices of reviews and promotions?" Again - this is a more open-ended question that shows you are thinking about the job process and not raises.

Rephrase again: Don't ask specifics but open-ended! "May I ask what your next steps are in the hiring process?" Not when they are expected to respond to YOU, but what their entire process is that is inclusive of others.

Ok Thank you for the tips
Old 11th October 2012, 3:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by january2011 View Post
I like these two. I use these most of the time in my interviews. Though it's just one employee's opinion, I think it reveals a lot about whether or not the company is a good one to work for and looks after their employees to the extent that they are happy to work there.

Questions like these also make the interview less one-sided and more enjoyable, in my opinion. Which can help to make the interviewer like you a bit more and think that you'd be a good fit.

I got too personal in one interview and asked so..."How do you like living in Philly"

LOL. Only because she mentioned that she moved here from Virginia I thought I was on a date
Old 11th October 2012, 3:35 PM   #25
Established Member

Quote:
I got too personal in one interview and asked so..."How do you like living in Philly"

LOL. Only because she mentioned that she moved here from Virginia I thought I was on a date
I think questions like that are okay. Showing your interest in the interviewer (not romantic interest) is okay, in my opinion. It makes it less of an interview and more like two colleagues having a chat. My most successful interviews have all been like that. And, in my opinion, most professionals expect a bit of banter. It might be a bit fake, but I think it's important to try to build rapport with your interviewer(s) to improve your chances of being put forward to the next stage.

My proviso is that if the interviewer is either very junior/inexperienced or very by-the-book, then they might not take too kindly to the banter. You'd have to read the situation.

I think that if things are very awkward, it's a good sign that it's a poor fit.
january2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 7:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFONYX77 View Post
You ask a lot of really basic questions for someone who's supposedly a job counselor by profession. What sort of people do you counsel?

I believe I stated I was always hired after 1 interview and was asking what to expect on a 2nd interview. I wanted to read about experiences which is why I didn't go to google
Old 12th October 2012, 4:13 AM   #27
Established Member

this is a very good, productive thread PhillyDude, glad you are not feeling too anxious by the sound of it
Emilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 2:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFONYX77 View Post
That does not answer the simple question I asked. If you are a professional job counselor then I think you would know about second interviews, what tie to wear and all that basic stuff. How can you help other people get jobs if you don't know all this stuff already?
I just reported you for harassment
Old 12th October 2012, 4:12 PM   #29
Established Member

Quote:
I just reported you for harassment
How is he harassing you?
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 4:33 PM   #30

Well I wasn't expecting this at all. What a shocking and sad ending to the weekend.

I got a call around 4pm when I went to the store from the woman who was going to interview me on Wednesday saying that she wants to change the time to 12pm. Then she left another message saying that she will get back to me in regards to the scheduling of the interview and to call her

So no f*cking interview, and here I scheduled a haircut for tomorrow which I;m about to cancel. And I was about to start preparing for the interview and to get that message was such a big let down.

The fact that is 4:32pm on a friday means she probably left and then is how I enter the weekend. So pissed off right now