LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

My first second interview of my life. What to expect?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th October 2012, 11:55 AM   #1

My first second interview of my life. What to expect?

This is the first time ever in my life that I was invited back for a second interview due being hired after the 1st interview or never making it past the initial interview.

So just wanted to know what to expect. Thank You

BTW: Since the initial interview was on September 25th, I;m stunned I was invited back for a second interview 2 weeks later on October 11th. I figured it was over and decided to move on.
PhillyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
This is the first time ever in my life that I was invited back for a second interview due being hired after the 1st interview or never making it past the initial interview.

So just wanted to know what to expect. Thank You

BTW: Since the initial interview was on September 25th, I;m stunned I was invited back for a second interview 2 weeks later on October 11th. I figured it was over and decided to move on.
Be prepared to take a drug test.
Old 11th October 2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Established Member

Was the first interview structured and competency questions based? Or quite informal? Did they give you even just a vague indication of what the second would be structured as? There are no set rules in that regard.

You can always ask the HR department if you are not clear, they are meant to advise you.
Emilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Established Member

No way to tell you what to expect since we don't know what happened in the first one.

For the job that I am starting next week, I went through EIGHT interviews.

Usually it is just meeting other people and reconfirming what you have already said and weeding through those that have made the first cut.
CarrieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 11:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaysngrace View Post
Be prepared to take a drug test.
Well that shouldn't be a issue since I always been drug free. Thanks.
Old 11th October 2012, 12:04 PM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieT View Post
Usually it is just meeting other people and reconfirming what you have already said and weeding through those that have made the first cut.
This.

It's either a meeting with a different person/people and/or going through in more detail about your profile. Sometimes the interview can be a bit more informal if it's the same person you're meeting. Otherwise, if it's someone new, it could be just a different set of questions or same set of questions asked in a different way.

What you need to focus on is that this person has some veto power about whether you go through to the next stage, so you need to take this one just as seriously as the first interview. It might be worth googling "seond interview preparation" and/or asking the agency if their client needs you to prepare anything or if they can give you some advice on what to expect. It's their client, so they should know why the need for a second interview.
january2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 12:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilia View Post
Was the first interview structured and competency questions based? Or quite informal? Did they give you even just a vague indication of what the second would be structured as? There are no set rules in that regard.

You can always ask the HR department if you are not clear, they are meant to advise you.
The 1st interview was 30 minutes due to a meeting she had to attend. Yes the interview was question based and also asked did I know a certain person based on my previous job. Then she asked me to do a writing sample for her and leave it with the receptionist.
Old 11th October 2012, 12:12 PM   #8

Actually it just hit me, I did have a second interview way back when I was 23 for a radio station and for some reason I didn't take it as seriously as the first one.
Old 11th October 2012, 12:12 PM   #9
Established Member

I usually had more informal 2nd interviews with someone more senior (who wouldn't have been expected to go through all of the 1st interview candidates).

January's advice is very good I think
Emilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 12:26 PM   #10
Established Member

The more interviews there are, the more seriously you are being considered.

In my recent round of job-hunting, I had four different companies put me through at least four interviews which meant I was moving may way forward towards that job. Two of them involved eight interviews and I received offers from both of those.

I look at the first interview as the meet-and-greet and if they are seriously considering you, then you get asked back for a second one where they will delve more into your qualifications, personality, and "fit."
Old 11th October 2012, 12:29 PM   #11

And since my budget is tight and I only have 1 suit, do I need to go out and purchase another suit jacket?

Or just wear the same suit with a different color shirt and tie?
Old 11th October 2012, 12:31 PM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
And since my budget is tight and I only have 1 suit, do I need to go out and purchase another suit jacket?

Or just wear the same suit with a different color shirt and tie?

Here we go with this again. I think people have already addressed this question on one of your other threads. Don't put so much thought into it. Just put on a different color shirt and tie. I doubt they will notice it that much.

Anyways, from my experience, usually the second interview means be prepared to be hired. They are very interested in you and usually tie up a few last things before offering you the job. So whenever they ask you to start, be prepared to say "immediately". In my experience usually the second interview is when they tell you that you have the job if that all goes well.
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 12:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_sugar View Post
Here we go with this again. I think people have already addressed this question on one of your other threads. Don't put so much thought into it. Just put on a different color shirt and tie. I doubt they will notice it that much.

Anyways, from my experience, usually the second interview means be prepared to be hired. They are very interested in you and usually tie up a few last things before offering you the job. So whenever they ask you to start, be prepared to say "immediately". In my experience usually the second interview is when they tell you that you have the job if that all goes well.
Oh yes I would definitely say iMMEDIATELY because this is not a temp job. No way would I say I can start in a week even though it would be nice
Old 11th October 2012, 1:08 PM   #14
Established Member

This is important:

They will ask you if you have any questions. ALWAYS have questions.

Some of my favorite include:
  • What can I do to succeed in this job?
  • Do you have any reservations about me that I can address?
  • Is this a new position? If not, what happened to the person I am replacing?
  • How would you describe the responsibilities of the position?
  • How would you describe a typical week/day in this position?
  • Is this a new position? If not, what did the previous employee go on to do?
  • What is the company's management style?
  • Who does this position report to? If I am offered the position, can I meet him/her?
  • How many people work in this office/department?
  • What is the typical work week? Is overtime expected?
  • What are the prospects for growth and advancement?
  • How does one advance in the company?
  • Are there any examples?
  • What do you like about working here?
  • What don't you like about working here and what would you change?
  • Would you like a list of references?
  • If I am extended a job offer, how soon would you like me to start?
  • What can I tell you about my qualifications?
  • When can I expect to hear from you?
  • Are there any other questions I can answer for you?
Old 11th October 2012, 1:21 PM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieT View Post
This is important:

• Is this a new position? If not, what happened to the person I am replacing?
I love this one! So important because it really says a lot about the company and potential turnover. You definitely want to know what turnover is like and gauge if this is a company people like working for.
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote