Is 3 Business days too long if a employer is interested?

Don't hesitate to give me your honest opinion, no sugar coating

My interview was this past Tuesday, and it lasted 30 mins because she had a meeting but got a positive during the interview and lots of smiling and good eye contact. Before she left she wanted me to give her a writing sample and leave it with the receptionist before I left. I sent a thank you email when I arrived home and I haven't heard anything since. She did mention bringing me back since the initial interview was so short due to her meeting. And before she went into the meeting she gave me her business card with a smile and now I wait for feedback.

So do you think that now that it's been 3 business days and I haven't heard anything that it's a bad sign? Maybe the writing sample made her go in another direction?

Thanks

Hmm they either have other applicants and sometimes you may not hear for a week or more, or they aren't interested. Usually if they are sure they will hire you on the spot, you'll hear right away. But if they're taking awhile due to other applicants, it may be unlikely you'll hear back. I would give them a call and ask the status of the application, then continue looking for other work meanwhile. Never wait to hear back before continuing to look for other work.

• Like 1
MilitantPacifist
Hmm they either have other applicants and sometimes you may not hear for a week or more, or they aren't interested. Usually if they are sure they will hire you on the spot, you'll hear right away. But if they're taking awhile due to other applicants, it may be unlikely you'll hear back. I would give them a call and ask the status of the application, then continue looking for other work meanwhile. Never wait to hear back before continuing to look for other work.

^ This.

I usually hear within a week or two, so 3 days is too soon to say one way or the other. But in any case, keep your job hunt going for whatever else you can find, even if this is the one you really want.

In one case with a large corporation it literally took months before they brought me on board after the interview, because they were interviewing hundreds of people for the position and doing background checks on all of them before making their decision.

So take whatever job you can, hope for the best with this one, and if they do call later on you can always switch jobs.

• Like 1
  • Author

I never call because I don't want to make the conversation arkward for me and the interviewer if asking the status and they chose someone else. I just rely on my common sense and come to the conclusion that if I hear nothing at all by COB Monday then I can move forward and focus on generating more interviews for the new month.

I only followed up one time back in 2005 and the guy on the phone sounded so uncomfortable and told me it was a hiring freeze. Three days later I get a rejection letter. So I avoid calling if I hear nothing after a week.

• Author
^ This.

I usually hear within a week or two, so 3 days is too soon to say one way or the other. But in any case, keep your job hunt going for whatever else you can find, even if this is the one you really want.

In one case with a large corporation it literally took months before they brought me on board after the interview, because they were interviewing hundreds of people for the position and doing background checks on all of them before making their decision.

So take whatever job you can, hope for the best with this one, and if they do call later on you can always switch jobs.

I just wanted to avoid starting a temp job and then they call me once I started. But I may not have to concern myself with that because I haven't heard from that job or the temp agency. The interview for that job was Tuesday and the interview the agency sent me to was thursday

You'll only know for sure if you call...and sometimes they will tell you what you won't want to hear. They usually say something like "We already filled the position, but thank you for your interest" or something like that. Not really awkward at all. But at least then you have an answer and can move on. Calling to inquire shows persistence and that you really want the job.

• Author
Writing sample? :confused:

Yes the position I was being interviewed for was Job Counselor and she wanted me to write her a sample case note

• Author
You'll only know for sure if you call...and sometimes they will tell you what you won't want to hear. They usually say something like "We already filled the position, but thank you for your interest" or something like that. Not really awkward at all. But at least then you have an answer and can move on. Calling to inquire shows persistence and that you really want the job.

I don't think someone is sitting there waiting to see how persistent I am so they can pick up the phone and tell me..."We chose you" lol

I rather not hear on a live phone call that I was not chosen and prefer to move on and judge by the amount of time that has passed. So if I'm still wondering by next friday then I won't have to guess anymore

Side Note: I applied for this position on August 1st and wasn't called until September 21st to schedule a interview. So I'm not sure if they just move slow at that place but I had totally forgotten all about the job.

I don't think someone is sitting there waiting to see how persistent I am so they can pick up the phone and tell me..."We chose you" lol

Maybe not, but they can either say "we're still interviewing applicants." or "we've already filled the position, but good luck on your job search." and then you have your answer.

• Author
Maybe not, but they can either say "we're still interviewing applicants." or "we've already filled the position, but good luck on your job search." and then you have your answer.

I just wouldn't want to feel like A$$ on the phone if I called and was told the position was filled. I know that would mess up my entire day. LOL

Another Side Note: I have never left a interview feeling good and not got the job. So next week will be very interesting.

All the jobs I didn't get was because I already knew I screwed up in the interview. So this would be the 1st time in life I ever left a interview feeling good and didn't get the job.

I never call because I don't want to make the conversation arkward for me and the interviewer if asking the status and they chose someone else. I just rely on my common sense and come to the conclusion that if I hear nothing at all by COB Monday then I can move forward and focus on generating more interviews for the new month.

Wow. How incredibly short-sighted of you and lacking in "common sense!"

I just wouldn't want to feel like A$$ on the phone if I called and was told the position was filled. I know that would mess up my entire day. LOL

So what? You really need to be more forthright about your interest in the job by putting yourself forward and not worrying "about your day."

Seriously - and I don't mean this as insulting as it is going to come out - are you this dense about job-hunting? It takes a LOT of follow-up and work.

You have already said you applied for the job at the beginning of August and it took this long to get to an interview point - and you expect them to wrap things up in three days???

I applied for two different jobs in July and am just now in negotiations with both of them. I have interviewed with no less than eight people in each firm and still don't expect to have it wrapped up for another week or so.

Why are you so dead-set on exploring the possibility with this job and making the phone call? Because you don't want bad news? Bad call, Dude... If it IS bad news, you need the feed-back on WHY. You need to be polite and thank them for their time and consideration and inquire if there are positions in the future, might you be considered for them. THAT is how you get closure; not your half-assed "common sense."

• Like 1
  • Author
Wow. How incredibly short-sighted of you and lacking in "common sense!"

So what? You really need to be more forthright about your interest in the job by putting yourself forward and not worrying "about your day."

Seriously - and I don't mean this as insulting as it is going to come out - are you this dense about job-hunting? It takes a LOT of follow-up and work.

You have already said you applied for the job at the beginning of August and it took this long to get to an interview point - and you expect them to wrap things up in three days???

I applied for two different jobs in July and am just now in negotiations with both of them. I have interviewed with no less than eight people in each firm and still don't expect to have it wrapped up for another week or so.

Why are you so dead-set on exploring the possibility with this job and making the phone call? Because you don't want bad news? Bad call, Dude... If it IS bad news, you need the feed-back on WHY. You need to be polite and thank them for their time and consideration and inquire if there are positions in the future, might you be considered for them. THAT is how you get closure; not your half-assed "common sense."

There is also another option of just going by the time frame of not hearing anything. And I believe I stated I sent a thank you letter after the interview so as a unemployed I don't want to look too desperate especially when she knows I don't have a job. So i have to make it look like I have other options to maintain my appeal as a job candidate. So that's how I get closure from job interviews. And I guess I expected to hear something by Friday because of the fact she

1. Mentioned bringing me back because of the interview being shortened due to her meeting

2. The writing sample she wanted me to give her and leave with the receptionist

So that was the only reason but like I said this upcoming week for me will let me know everything I need to know.

Yes, you have a point about not wanting to seem desperate as the primary goal is selling yourself...you want to make them pick you over other candidates. However A follow up call to inquire about the status is sufficient. I know from experience, continuously "nagging" on them with constant phone calls won't help. BUT showing interest by following up after the interview is a big PLUS. You see it wherever job tips are....never forget to follow up after an interview if you really want the job.

I don't want to look too desperate especially when she knows I don't have a job.

It is not called desperation. It is called follow-through.

And just because they say "three days," doesn't mean they are able to meet their own deadlines.

I had one company tell me on Monday that they were going to submit an offer and hoped to have it to me by Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest. Well, it didn't come in until late Friday afternoon. But if I had gone by your logic of "common sense," I would have "written them off" by Wednesday, huh?

You have to play their game and cow-tow to the procedures and game-playing of job hunting. It is partly a game and by your obstinance and self-entitlement, I can see why you are having difficulties in getting a job.

• Like 2
  • Author
Yes, you have a point about not wanting to seem desperate as the primary goal is selling yourself...you want to make them pick you over other candidates. However A follow up call to inquire about the status is sufficient. I know from experience, continuously "nagging" on them with constant phone calls won't help. BUT showing interest by following up after the interview is a big PLUS. You see it wherever job tips are....never forget to follow up after an interview if you really want the job.

I guess I always felt that since they called me to come in for the interview, if that same person was interested they would still have my number to call me back again. So the fact that I have showed interest in the position by sending a thank you email, I feel that I would start to lose that appeal as a job candidate by calling after already making it clear in the thank you letter that I would like to become part of the team.

I think 95% of the time calling just reminds the person that they need to send out a rejection email. Most people don't have to be reminded that they are interested in someone.

• Author
It is not called desperation. It is called follow-through.

And just because they say "three days," doesn't mean they are able to meet their own deadlines.

I had one company tell me on Monday that they were going to submit an offer and hoped to have it to me by Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest. Well, it didn't come in until late Friday afternoon. But if I had gone by your logic of "common sense," I would have "written them off" by Wednesday, huh?

You have to play their game and cow-tow to the procedures and game-playing of job hunting. It is partly a game and by your obstinance and self-entitlement, I can see why you are having difficulties in getting a job.

I never said that I was given a 3 day time frame, i was just asking for a honest opinion since the interview was Tuesday morning and didn't hear anything the remainder of the week. And isn't sending a thank you letter stating that I was impressed with the company operations and would like to be part of the team playing the game? So what the hell do I need to call for if I made it clear I would be interested in coming on board in a email?

And I don't often hear about a person calling to find out a status and being given good news. Just like dating if you reach out to someone after the day through text letting the person know you are interested and that text receives no response, then calling makes no sense only if you want to confirm that the person has no interest.

And isn't sending a thank you letter stating that I was impressed with the company operations and would like to be part of the team playing the game?

Nope - that is standard, operating procedure.

I So what the hell do I need to call for if I made it clear I would be interested in coming on board in a email?

Because it shows follow-through. The email is expected. Following up and reiterating your interest shows initiative and that you are still on board.

And I don't often hear about a person calling to find out a status and being given good news.

I'm telling you this is how it has worked for me. Often, no news is good news and you are still in the running. Checking in once a week to see how the process is going is not being needy. You can even ask, at that point, if checking in once a week is okay or not. They will guide you. In my case, I have been told that checking in is a good thing - and has ultimately gotten me TWO jobs that I now have to decide between.

Just like dating if you reach out to someone after the day through text letting the person know you are interested and that text receives no response, then calling makes no sense only if you want to confirm that the person has no interest.

Don't equate this to dating - it is a totally different scenario and set of rules.

• Like 1
  • Author
Nope - that is standard, operating procedure.

Because it shows follow-through. The email is expected. Following up and reiterating your interest shows initiative and that you are still on board.

I'm telling you this is how it has worked for me. Often, no news is good news and you are still in the running. Checking in once a week to see how the process is going is not being needy. You can even ask, at that point, if checking in once a week is okay or not. They will guide you. In my case, I have been told that checking in is a good thing - and has ultimately gotten me TWO jobs that I now have to decide between.

Don't equate this to dating - it is a totally different scenario and set of rules.

What do you mean checking in once a week? If I called on Monday wouldn't that call let me know everything I need to know? Why would someone be calling again? If I called on Monday and they said they will be making a decision by Friday and I call again then that means i would have contacted this woman 3 times since the initial interview which would look desperate in my opinion

Now I will ask you this, would it be ok to send ANOTHER EMAIL on Monday instead of calling and putting "Next step in Hiring Process" in the subject box?

MilitantPacifist

Have to agree with this here. It's a completely different set of protocols. People in the corporate world operate under their own delusional worldview.

Frankly though I agree that calling repeatedly seems pushy and a touch desperate. Like the OP I always just send the thank-you letter.

• Author
Have to agree with this here. It's a completely different set of protocols. People in the corporate world operate under their own delusional worldview.

Frankly though I agree that calling repeatedly seems pushy and a touch desperate. Like the OP I always just send the thank-you letter.

I have followed up once in 2009 but it was through email which to me seemed less pushy and ended up getting the job.

So if I don't hear anything by Monday COB, I will send one last email with my contact number on Tuesday Morning stating my interest for the last time.

I

So if I don't hear anything by Monday COB, I will send one last email with my contact number on Tuesday Morning stating my interest for the last time.

I think a week after you last contact, a phone call is not out of line. An email is less personal and easier to ignore than direct contact.

• Like 1
HokeyReligions
I think a week after you last contact, a phone call is not out of line. An email is less personal and easier to ignore than direct contact.

I think this is the best approach. I applied for a job last April. In June I accepted a different position and the day after I accepted I heard back from the job in April & it was offered to me. I declined because they offered less money and less opportunity for advancement - even though it is much closer to home and was a direct-hire position vs. contract, which I am now.

However, after nearly 4 months at my current company I had an Interview with my boss about the new position I was moved into a month ago. I'm sure they will make me an offer - we discussed prior to my taking the supervisors job - but I'm STILL sending out resumes and looking for something else that may be direct and closer to home. At the same time - I'm interviewing for 3 people who I need to get in place & trained quickly - one is a direct-hire and two are contract. I kinda want to be direct before I, as a contractor, hire a permanent person. What I really want is to get health insurance that is partially paid by the company - I kept the Cobra insurance when I left my last job and it's $1500 a month!!!

Anyway, you never know - keep looking and go ahead and send an email. If you were counseling someone on a job - what would you tell them in this situation?

• Author
I think this is the best approach. I applied for a job last April. In June I accepted a different position and the day after I accepted I heard back from the job in April & it was offered to me. I declined because they offered less money and less opportunity for advancement - even though it is much closer to home and was a direct-hire position vs. contract, which I am now.

However, after nearly 4 months at my current company I had an Interview with my boss about the new position I was moved into a month ago. I'm sure they will make me an offer - we discussed prior to my taking the supervisors job - but I'm STILL sending out resumes and looking for something else that may be direct and closer to home. At the same time - I'm interviewing for 3 people who I need to get in place & trained quickly - one is a direct-hire and two are contract. I kinda want to be direct before I, as a contractor, hire a permanent person. What I really want is to get health insurance that is partially paid by the company - I kept the Cobra insurance when I left my last job and it's $1500 a month!!!

Anyway, you never know - keep looking and go ahead and send an email. If you were counseling someone on a job - what would you tell them in this situation?

I would tell them to send a follow up email the following week. And that a phone call is only necessary if you had more than one interview.

I would tell them to send a follow up email the following week. And that a phone call is only necessary if you had more than one interview.

Why are you trying to back-pedal here? Okay, so you had one interview. But you were also asked to submit a writing sample which shows they are more interested in you than just a courtesy interview.

What is the problem with you picking up a phone after a week? It is not "necessary" but - again - shows more interest and initiative than a mere email.

Understand that many executives get INUNDATED with emails. My last boss received upwards of 400 a day. They often get ignored if they are not immediately pertinent which is why a phone call, which is more personal and effective, is the best call in this situation.

• Like 2