LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Is 3 Business days too long if a employer is interested?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st October 2012, 6:03 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantPacifist View Post
IMO you should take the job that they're offering you. That's why she asked "Do you really want a job?" because you're waffling on that.

Any job in this economy is worth taking.

Just make sure you make it clear that if the other company makes an offer, you'd prefer that job.

But like I told her most jobs you start on a monday so she calls me today at 3pm asking can I start tomorrow or wednesday?? I already moved on because i thought they chose someone else since it was already monday.
PhillyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 6:46 PM   #47
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
But like I told her most jobs you start on a monday so she calls me today at 3pm asking can I start tomorrow or wednesday?? I already moved on because i thought they chose someone else since it was already monday.
Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I'm sorry, Dude. You started a thread about how to work and get these jobs and have had MULTIPLE people tell you to get your act together to accept a job IMMEDIATELY when it is offered. You do not waffle and if they want you tomorrow, you accept it tomorrow.
CarrieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 6:56 PM   #48
Established Member

Quote:
Just got off the phone with the lady from the agency and she was like..."So can you start wednesday? I was like...."I still don't know and in the process of finalizing things"

Then she says......."Do you really want a job?" HUH?????????

Isn't it obvious I have other things pending?-lol I told her that I will give her a answer tomorrow morning because she leaves at 5pm and wanted to know before she left out
If I was the recruiter I'd be asking the same thing. Never say "I don't know". What kind of response is that?! If you're really not sure, just come out and say you may have another offer.
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 7:02 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieT View Post
Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I'm sorry, Dude. You started a thread about how to work and get these jobs and have had MULTIPLE people tell you to get your act together to accept a job IMMEDIATELY when it is offered. You do not waffle and if they want you tomorrow, you accept it tomorrow.
So what you are saying is it's appropriate for the agency to call me when the day is almost to ask if I can start a assignment the next day? Not 9am but 3pm?
Old 1st October 2012, 7:04 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_sugar View Post
If I was the recruiter I'd be asking the same thing. Never say "I don't know". What kind of response is that?! If you're really not sure, just come out and say you may have another offer.
Well I just told her I was in the process of finalizing something, i didn't mention that it was feedback from another interview
Old 1st October 2012, 7:10 PM   #51
Established Member

Quote:
So what you are saying is it's appropriate for the agency to call me when the day is almost to ask if I can start a assignment the next day? Not 9am but 3pm?
There's nothing inappropriate about asking the question. Your answer gave the employer some useful information: namely, that you want the job too badly. If I was doing the hiring, you'd probably get "nexted".
GorillaTheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 7:10 PM   #52
Established Member

Quote:
My guess is that most people (including agencies) assume that since you are unemployed, you don't have any other commitments that would delay your start date. And that you'd jump at the chance to start earning some money as soon as possible rather than coming up with something vague about why you can't do it. Enthusiasm in response to receiving a job offer, I think most agencies expect it, especially given how tough it is out there. They probably don't quite expect "lukewarm."

However, you can't turn back the clock. You just have to be ready with your answer of yay or nay when you next speak to her. I'm not sure they'd accept another delay.
january2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 7:18 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by january2011 View Post
My guess is that most people (including agencies) assume that since you are unemployed, you don't have any other commitments that would delay your start date. And that you'd jump at the chance to start earning some money as soon as possible rather than coming up with something vague about why you can't do it. Enthusiasm in response to receiving a job offer, I think most agencies expect it, especially given how tough it is out there. They probably don't quite expect "lukewarm."

However, you can't turn back the clock. You just have to be ready with your answer of yay or nay when you next speak to her. I'm not sure they'd accept another delay.
So say if I wake up tomorrow and I have a message from the other job saying they want to bring me in a 2nd time? Should I just tell the agency I won;t accept the assignment and take my chances with the permanent job?

Because if that happens, that means I can't start wednesday anyway so I might as well just tell them I'm not going to accept the assignment. Like you said, they are not going to accept another delay
Old 1st October 2012, 7:22 PM   #54
Established Member

Quote:
Yes. What January2011 just said.

Most people register with agencies for exactly that reason - to get a job as soon as possible and most people who are unemployed would jump at the chance for a job the next day.
Old 1st October 2012, 7:27 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieT View Post
Yes. What January2011 just said.

Most people register with agencies for exactly that reason - to get a job as soon as possible and most people who are unemployed would jump at the chance for a job the next day.

Well I guess since I never been affiliated with a agency I'm not familiar with the operations. I thought they gave you some cushion time to get yourself together before you start a assignment.
Old 1st October 2012, 7:28 PM   #56
Established Member

What is your ideal scenario?

You can't have both offers to consider at the same time because you've not even been called for a second interview (yet) for the other role - so there's no guarantee in that direction, whereas you do have the first role in the bag already. That is 100% guaranteed.

However, while it's uncertain whether you will get it or not, if the second role is more attractive and you would rather be unemployed than take the temp assignment, then turn down the temp assignment.

If you want to get back to work as soon as possible, then choose the temp assignment - deal with a second interview/offer if and when it comes.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd go with the temp assignment to start earning money asap. Then deal with the second role, if recruitment progresses. Better to win at something than to lose it all, in my opinion.

RE: Agencies - no, it tends to be a production line. The quicker they fill the roles, the quicker they get paid and can move onto filling other roles or business development. A waffling lukewarm candidate is probably an agency's worst nightmare.

Last edited by january2011; 1st October 2012 at 7:34 PM..
january2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 7:37 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by january2011 View Post
What is your ideal scenario?

You can't have both offers to consider at the same time because you've not even been called for a second interview (yet) for the other role - so there's no guarantee in that direction, whereas you do have the first role in the bag already. That is 100% guaranteed.

However, while it's uncertain whether you will get it or not, if the second role is more attractive and you would rather be unemployed than take the temp assignment, then turn down the temp assignment.

If you want to get back to work as soon as possible, then choose the temp assignment - deal with a second interview/offer if and when it comes.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd go with the temp assignment to start earning money asap. Then deal with the second role, if recruitment progresses. Better to win at something than to lose it all, in my opinion.

RE: Agencies - no, it tends to be a production line. The quicker they fill the roles, the quicker they get paid and can move onto filling other roles or business development. A waffling lukewarm candidate is probably an agency's worst nightmare.
I agree which is why I called the lady who interviewed me last week to get a update on the hiring process. If I don't hear anything back from her by 10am tomorrow, i will call the agency to let them know I can start wed

If I get feedback from the lady about bringing me back in, then I will just call the agency back to let them know I won't be starting at all
Old 1st October 2012, 7:45 PM   #58
Established Member

Quote:
I If I don't hear anything back from her by 10am tomorrow, i will call the agency to let them know I can start wed
Don't be too surprised if the agency finds someone else in the meantime.

Seriously - you should call back immediately and tell them you can start on Wednesday.
Old 1st October 2012, 8:05 PM   #59

OK late breaking news.

I decided not to take the temp job based on what I just found out on the PA Tax Calculator. The agency is only paying me $11.00 an hour and I found out after taxes I would be getting 20 dollars less a week which averages out to $124 lower than what I get on UC a month. So I will leave a message on her machine right now letting her know that i cannot accept the position because it's lower than what I;m getting on UC. I;m already struggling now on what i get each month so it's no way I can take a position paying less money when you factor in traveling expenses. In all honesty $11.00 an hour is cool if you live at home with your parents.

So back to the job hunt.

Last edited by PhillyDude; 1st October 2012 at 8:16 PM..
Old 1st October 2012, 9:59 PM   #60
Established Member

This begs the question, Dude...

When going through an agency, they usually assess your skills and pre-interview you to determine your minimum wage requirements. Wasn't this done? If they knew you wouldn't work for $11 an hour, they shouldn't have sent you to the interview.

With the agencies I work with, they know I won't work for less than $25/hour. Every now and then, I get calls asking if I would be willing to consider a job for $20/hour temp-to-perm with the knowledge it COULD become permanent for $30 an hour. I did that once and got burned, but every agency I work with knows my minimum requirements.

Have you had these discussions with your agencies?