LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Is 3 Business days too long if a employer is interested?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th September 2012, 3:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_sugar View Post
Yes, you have a point about not wanting to seem desperate as the primary goal is selling yourself...you want to make them pick you over other candidates. However A follow up call to inquire about the status is sufficient. I know from experience, continuously "nagging" on them with constant phone calls won't help. BUT showing interest by following up after the interview is a big PLUS. You see it wherever job tips are....never forget to follow up after an interview if you really want the job.
I guess I always felt that since they called me to come in for the interview, if that same person was interested they would still have my number to call me back again. So the fact that I have showed interest in the position by sending a thank you email, I feel that I would start to lose that appeal as a job candidate by calling after already making it clear in the thank you letter that I would like to become part of the team.

I think 95% of the time calling just reminds the person that they need to send out a rejection email. Most people don't have to be reminded that they are interested in someone.
PhillyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 3:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieT View Post
It is not called desperation. It is called follow-through.

And just because they say "three days," doesn't mean they are able to meet their own deadlines.

I had one company tell me on Monday that they were going to submit an offer and hoped to have it to me by Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest. Well, it didn't come in until late Friday afternoon. But if I had gone by your logic of "common sense," I would have "written them off" by Wednesday, huh?

You have to play their game and cow-tow to the procedures and game-playing of job hunting. It is partly a game and by your obstinance and self-entitlement, I can see why you are having difficulties in getting a job.

I never said that I was given a 3 day time frame, i was just asking for a honest opinion since the interview was Tuesday morning and didn't hear anything the remainder of the week. And isn't sending a thank you letter stating that I was impressed with the company operations and would like to be part of the team playing the game? So what the hell do I need to call for if I made it clear I would be interested in coming on board in a email?

And I don't often hear about a person calling to find out a status and being given good news. Just like dating if you reach out to someone after the day through text letting the person know you are interested and that text receives no response, then calling makes no sense only if you want to confirm that the person has no interest.
Old 29th September 2012, 4:15 PM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
And isn't sending a thank you letter stating that I was impressed with the company operations and would like to be part of the team playing the game?
Nope - that is standard, operating procedure.

Quote:
I So what the hell do I need to call for if I made it clear I would be interested in coming on board in a email?
Because it shows follow-through. The email is expected. Following up and reiterating your interest shows initiative and that you are still on board.

Quote:
And I don't often hear about a person calling to find out a status and being given good news.
I'm telling you this is how it has worked for me. Often, no news is good news and you are still in the running. Checking in once a week to see how the process is going is not being needy. You can even ask, at that point, if checking in once a week is okay or not. They will guide you. In my case, I have been told that checking in is a good thing - and has ultimately gotten me TWO jobs that I now have to decide between.

Quote:
Just like dating if you reach out to someone after the day through text letting the person know you are interested and that text receives no response, then calling makes no sense only if you want to confirm that the person has no interest.
Don't equate this to dating - it is a totally different scenario and set of rules.
CarrieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 4:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Nope - that is standard, operating procedure.

Because it shows follow-through. The email is expected. Following up and reiterating your interest shows initiative and that you are still on board.

I'm telling you this is how it has worked for me. Often, no news is good news and you are still in the running. Checking in once a week to see how the process is going is not being needy. You can even ask, at that point, if checking in once a week is okay or not. They will guide you. In my case, I have been told that checking in is a good thing - and has ultimately gotten me TWO jobs that I now have to decide between.

Don't equate this to dating - it is a totally different scenario and set of rules.

What do you mean checking in once a week? If I called on Monday wouldn't that call let me know everything I need to know? Why would someone be calling again? If I called on Monday and they said they will be making a decision by Friday and I call again then that means i would have contacted this woman 3 times since the initial interview which would look desperate in my opinion

Now I will ask you this, would it be ok to send ANOTHER EMAIL on Monday instead of calling and putting "Next step in Hiring Process" in the subject box?
Old 29th September 2012, 4:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Have to agree with this here. It's a completely different set of protocols. People in the corporate world operate under their own delusional worldview.

Frankly though I agree that calling repeatedly seems pushy and a touch desperate. Like the OP I always just send the thank-you letter.
MilitantPacifist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 4:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantPacifist View Post
Have to agree with this here. It's a completely different set of protocols. People in the corporate world operate under their own delusional worldview.

Frankly though I agree that calling repeatedly seems pushy and a touch desperate. Like the OP I always just send the thank-you letter.
I have followed up once in 2009 but it was through email which to me seemed less pushy and ended up getting the job.

So if I don't hear anything by Monday COB, I will send one last email with my contact number on Tuesday Morning stating my interest for the last time.
Old 29th September 2012, 4:57 PM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
I
So if I don't hear anything by Monday COB, I will send one last email with my contact number on Tuesday Morning stating my interest for the last time.
I think a week after you last contact, a phone call is not out of line. An email is less personal and easier to ignore than direct contact.
Old 29th September 2012, 5:25 PM   #23

Quote:
I think a week after you last contact, a phone call is not out of line. An email is less personal and easier to ignore than direct contact.
I think this is the best approach. I applied for a job last April. In June I accepted a different position and the day after I accepted I heard back from the job in April & it was offered to me. I declined because they offered less money and less opportunity for advancement - even though it is much closer to home and was a direct-hire position vs. contract, which I am now.

However, after nearly 4 months at my current company I had an Interview with my boss about the new position I was moved into a month ago. I'm sure they will make me an offer - we discussed prior to my taking the supervisors job - but I'm STILL sending out resumes and looking for something else that may be direct and closer to home. At the same time - I'm interviewing for 3 people who I need to get in place & trained quickly - one is a direct-hire and two are contract. I kinda want to be direct before I, as a contractor, hire a permanent person. What I really want is to get health insurance that is partially paid by the company - I kept the Cobra insurance when I left my last job and it's $1500 a month!!!

Anyway, you never know - keep looking and go ahead and send an email. If you were counseling someone on a job - what would you tell them in this situation?
HokeyReligions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 5:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokeyReligions View Post
I think this is the best approach. I applied for a job last April. In June I accepted a different position and the day after I accepted I heard back from the job in April & it was offered to me. I declined because they offered less money and less opportunity for advancement - even though it is much closer to home and was a direct-hire position vs. contract, which I am now.

However, after nearly 4 months at my current company I had an Interview with my boss about the new position I was moved into a month ago. I'm sure they will make me an offer - we discussed prior to my taking the supervisors job - but I'm STILL sending out resumes and looking for something else that may be direct and closer to home. At the same time - I'm interviewing for 3 people who I need to get in place & trained quickly - one is a direct-hire and two are contract. I kinda want to be direct before I, as a contractor, hire a permanent person. What I really want is to get health insurance that is partially paid by the company - I kept the Cobra insurance when I left my last job and it's $1500 a month!!!

Anyway, you never know - keep looking and go ahead and send an email. If you were counseling someone on a job - what would you tell them in this situation?

I would tell them to send a follow up email the following week. And that a phone call is only necessary if you had more than one interview.
Old 29th September 2012, 6:27 PM   #25
Established Member

Quote:
I would tell them to send a follow up email the following week. And that a phone call is only necessary if you had more than one interview.
Why are you trying to back-pedal here? Okay, so you had one interview. But you were also asked to submit a writing sample which shows they are more interested in you than just a courtesy interview.

What is the problem with you picking up a phone after a week? It is not "necessary" but - again - shows more interest and initiative than a mere email.

Understand that many executives get INUNDATED with emails. My last boss received upwards of 400 a day. They often get ignored if they are not immediately pertinent which is why a phone call, which is more personal and effective, is the best call in this situation.
Old 29th September 2012, 6:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Why are you trying to back-pedal here? Okay, so you had one interview. But you were also asked to submit a writing sample which shows they are more interested in you than just a courtesy interview.

What is the problem with you picking up a phone after a week? It is not "necessary" but - again - shows more interest and initiative than a mere email.

Understand that many executives get INUNDATED with emails. My last boss received upwards of 400 a day. They often get ignored if they are not immediately pertinent which is why a phone call, which is more personal and effective, is the best call in this situation.

So if I call and get the voicemail then what? Leave a message and not have it returned which would confirm my answer
Old 29th September 2012, 8:13 PM   #27
Established Member

Quote:
So if I call and get the voicemail then what? Leave a message and not have it returned which would confirm my answer
I will bet you $100 that if you do not get a live person to talk to and have leave a voicemail, you will get some form of response.

I am serious.
Old 29th September 2012, 9:40 PM   #28
Established Member

Quote:

I agree and this is exactly why even just following up on a resume is recommended. And even dropping by in person. You'll separate yourself from that growing list of resumes landing in a black hole.
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 9:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_sugar View Post
I agree and this is exactly why even just following up on a resume is recommended. And even dropping by in person. You'll separate yourself from that growing list of resumes landing in a black hole.

But let's not pretend there is also a downside to doing that which is hearing that you were not selected to go to the next round. So that can really be devastating to hear especially if it's a job you really want. A rejection email or mailed letter softens the blow a little
Old 29th September 2012, 10:49 PM   #30
Established Member

Quote:
But let's not pretend there is also a downside to doing that which is hearing that you were not selected to go to the next round. So that can really be devastating to hear especially if it's a job you really want. A rejection email or mailed letter softens the blow a little
Stop being such a wuss!

Rejection is part of the job-seeking process. I've been unemployed twice this year and have literally been on 20+ interviews for jobs I did not get. And now I have two offers. In that regard, it IS just like online dating (for me anyway) where I went on a lot of first dates.

Softening the blow? Puleeeeezze. It is business - not a girlfriend.

Why are you making such a big deal about the potential of a rejection? You really need a thicker skin when it comes to this stuff; especially if you've been unemployed this long!