I started working in a place a few weeks ago and the boss is a real bitch on wheels. She is always on my back, and everyone elses', and is very intimidating and creates unnecessary chaos. Because of her behavior she doesn't get the best from her employees but actually the worse. Unfortunately, I really need this job right now and the money is great. Any suggestions on how to deal with this nightmare woman?

My observations about how many people view females. The expectation whether conscious or subconscious, particularly with men, is that women should be nice and sweet, nurturing and feminine. When they encounter no nonsense women in the work place, they're shocked that these women aren't acting like their mothers, instead, acting like...bosses.

My advice to you is to shift out of your gender construct paradigm and start looking at yourself as an employee with an employer you have to try to please. Otherwise, your as$ will be grass to your employer.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
sportymonkey

hi there

sorry to hear about your predicament. rest assured you aren't alone. anyway, i just got a book called Emotional Vampires by Albert J Bernstein today. he talks about how to deal with difficult ppl you meet in the office, at home, online etc. why don't you can check it out and see if it has the answers you are looking for. hope it helps:)

• Like 1

These days, jobs and careers are transitory and transportable. In my industry, decidedly more 'rough' physically than many posters deal with, a successful strategy is to focus on the work and make oneself as attractive to the 'bitchy boss''s competitors as possible, then clean their clock from a new and better paying position with a competitor. I've seen 'bitchy' as pretty equal opportunity, with both men and women occupying that kind of boss space. Deal with them the same. Good luck.

Abystarswoman
Any suggestions on how to deal with this nightmare woman?

Do you have an "open door" policy where you work? Sometimes it's necessary to go to a higher supervisor than the one who is currently in charge of you. An "open door" policy works in that any employee has the freedom to go to anyone within the organization and talk about what they're experiencing or what problems they might be having.

If you have this kind of atmosphere, I would definitely encourage you to go to your supervisor's supervisor (everyone has one, unless they own the company, heh).

Another suggestion may be to utilize an employee assistance program, if your company has one. Sometimes they have a crisis hotline. Is this an option for you?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The social construct paradigm is true, people do have to change their expectations. I once worked for a company that was 95% female, and it was the worst job I've ever held. The company had an "open door" policy however the management didn't follow it. They did as they pleased & it got worse the higher up the ladder one went.

My director had a "your MY employee" attitude instead of realizing that we worked for the organization, not one boss. I tried the open door thing once the director started going off on me. She gave me a bad review since she figured I went above her head. Power sometimes goes to ones head....I even tried to get another job and when they were called for a reference, they gave me a bad one verbally. I ended being forced out of the company & very upset.

One must be extremely careful in the working world, because bosses do sometimes abuse their power.

Document and get management instructions in writing. Find out if there is a plan that the department is working towards and where your role fits into that.

Your boss might have her boss on her back and thus she's channelling the chaos towards you and the rest of your colleagues. This means that you have to work on pleasing the person above her and/or make her look good.

Alternatively, she may be a chaotic person who needs a strong number 2 to keep her organised. If there is no one in that position and you are very organised, perhaps you wouldn't mind taking on that role? It could be a potential stepping stone to your boss' job. If you think she might be open to it and you are willing to put in the effort and mental energy, perhaps you can re-examine your work processes and come up with a solution that works for everyone.