LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

As a unemployed person, when asked on a interview when can you start

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree160Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th September 2012, 1:39 AM   #46
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
My brother was lucky when he started his job, the start date was 3 weeks after the offer. I need something like that
For someone who's been out of work for 9 months, you would consider it lucky to have an additional 3 week delay before being able to start earning money?

Quote:
No the shopping would be 1 day, the doctor would be 1 day, laundry would be 1 day, haircut would be 1 day,

So I guess about 4 days would be enough before i start. So if I was offered a job on a wednesday, I could do all of that from Thurs to Sunday
Do laundry tonight (why would you wait?) Get your hair cut on the afternoon the offer comes. Wear your one good pair of pants to work the next morning. Shop for work clothes after work that evening. As far as the doctor: are you in need of medical care before you can start work?

I would be chomping at the bit to get started, but then again, if I were chomping at the bit to get started, I would have all that other stuff (laundry? really?) lined up already if I knew that there was a possibility of a job offer anywhere in the near future.

Think like a winner - think like a successful person. None of this "I hope my new job doesn't start for 3 weeks so I can relax" stuff.
Old 13th September 2012, 1:41 AM   #47
Established Member

Quote:
I remember 2 years ago I was offered the job on the Thursday before Memorial Day and she asked when can i start and i was like....."well since Monday is a holiday I can"

And before I could finish the sentence she interrupted me and said..."you can start tuesday" I was so pissed because that was too damm fast for me to be starting a new job
Uh.... what were you going to say? "Since Monday is a holiday, I can start the following Monday?"

But hey, all of this assumes that you really want and/or need the job. If that's not the case, then go ahead and dictate your terms...
Old 13th September 2012, 1:48 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimmer View Post
For someone who's been out of work for 9 months, you would consider it lucky to have an additional 3 week delay before being able to start earning money?

Do laundry tonight (why would you wait?) Get your hair cut on the afternoon the offer comes. Wear your one good pair of pants to work the next morning. Shop for work clothes after work that evening. As far as the doctor: are you in need of medical care before you can start work?

I would be chomping at the bit to get started, but then again, if I were chomping at the bit to get started, I would have all that other stuff (laundry? really?) lined up already if I knew that there was a possibility of a job offer anywhere in the near future.

Think like a winner - think like a successful person. None of this "I hope my new job doesn't start for 3 weeks so I can relax" stuff.

Well of course I would still file for UC until I start the job so why would it matter if I started in 3 weeks? And I would see my primary doctor was last time because I know I wouldn't be able to see her until 6 months or after

You can't take off for appts when you are in the probationary period
Old 13th September 2012, 1:52 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimmer View Post
Uh.... what were you going to say? "Since Monday is a holiday, I can start the following Monday?"

But hey, all of this assumes that you really want and/or need the job. If that's not the case, then go ahead and dictate your terms...
I was going to ask would the following Monday be ok since next week was a short week after the Holiday. But I never had a chance to ask because she stopped me and said I could start that Tuesday

SO what ended up happening?

1 My first paycheck was a half of check since I started in the middle of a pay period

2. My last UC check was a half of check since I couldn't file for a bi-weekly because of the start date

So I didn't get set financially until almost mid-July after starting the Job at the end of May
Old 13th September 2012, 2:32 AM   #50

Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow where the midnight sun and the hot springs glow. Not really. Oregon.
Your attitude is terrible. I don't think you are getting a job anytime soon.
Old 13th September 2012, 2:59 AM   #51

Quote:
No the shopping would be 1 day, the doctor would be 1 day, laundry would be 1 day, haircut would be 1 day,

So I guess about 4 days would be enough before i start. So if I was offered a job on a wednesday, I could do all of that from Thurs to Sunday
So you figure 14 hours of shopping, 14 hours with the doctor, 14 hours of doing laundry (for 1 pair of slacks?) and a 14 hour haircut.

Perhaps you should work on your time management skills before you take a job.
Old 13th September 2012, 3:21 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123321 View Post
"Immediately"

Can do, Boss. Can do, Boss. Can do, Boss.

You made the right choice, Boss. I'm gonna work harder and shine brighter than anyone else, Boss. I'll never be unemployed again, Boss. For when the time comes, I'll be the last person you let go, Boss.
Old 13th September 2012, 3:56 AM   #53

Location: Working on a clear blue summer sky, at BuddhaDhammaSangha
I have a job interview today - They're going to be so keen on me by the time I've finished with them, they're going to wish I'd started last month.
Old 13th September 2012, 5:02 AM   #54
Established Member

I had a first interview on Tuesday and "G" and a first interview last Friday at "H".

"G" called my recruiter this morning and is anxious to schedule a second interview ("blown out of the water..."). "H" called me directly this afternoon and my second interview with them is on Friday.

My only hope is that if both make offers, it happens in concert with one another so I can start a bidding war or aren't asked to start next Monday when a second interview might occur.

That is the only reason I want to buy an extra week... I've only been unemployed for five weeks and I can't wait to get back to work!
Old 13th September 2012, 7:52 AM   #55

I think you should go to work ASAP

Hey,
Honestly the best response is I'd love to start as soon as you guys cold possibly have me.

Never ever give your employer conditions before getting the job, you can only do this after proving ourself and once your really good at your job; confident etc. at tis point you are an asset to them.
Old 13th September 2012, 8:10 AM   #56
Established Member

I wouldn't be worried about when I start as much as I'd be worried about getting the job if I were you.
Old 13th September 2012, 10:45 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFONYX77 View Post
No, I don't understand the difference because you're not making any sense. Like I said you haven't even had a first interview yet and you're already shooting yourself in the foot with all this nonsense about all the time you need to get a simple haircut, a doctor's appointment and buy a second pair of pants.

What do you do for a living that apparently makes everything so complicated?
Again you don't understand. Right now even though I;m home and have been home since January, it's not a DAMM VACATION because I constantly think each day..."I need to be working before Jan of 2013"

If I have a hire letter the week of sept 24th telling me to report to work on October 1st, I will be mentally free of thinking about...."when am I going to get a job". It will be a MENTAL VACATION from stressing about finding a job which is the difference between being home with no job offers and being home with a job offer.
Old 13th September 2012, 10:59 AM   #58

Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow where the midnight sun and the hot springs glow. Not really. Oregon.
Quote:
It will be a MENTAL VACATION from stressing about finding a job which is the difference between being home with no job offers and being home with a job offer.
That's understandable - but it doesn't make it valid.
Old 13th September 2012, 11:32 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mme. Chaucer View Post
That's understandable - but it doesn't make it valid.
You know now that I think about it, since 1999 every time I started a new job it was right away. I never had a chance to chill a little bit and prepare myself mentally for a new transition so I don't even know what it feels like to have a week to myself before I started a new job.

Maybe one day that will happen.
Old 13th September 2012, 12:07 PM   #60
Established Member

Quote:
I never had a chance to chill a little bit and prepare myself mentally for a new transition so I don't even know what it feels like to have a week to myself before I started a new job.
Nine months of unemployment IS the transition time and you are mentally preparing for it now, with this very thread, supposing an offer comes through.

I've ranted enough in other threads about the power of positive thinking and "walk the walk - talk the talk" mentality of living one's life.

If you wake up tomorrow with the idea that you only have two or three days left before you start work, I believe you will start to see a remarkable difference in your attitude and your ability to get a job. Employers can perceive this type of lackadaisical attitude you are exuding and it is undesirable in a candidate. The converse is a desperation for a job which is probably coming across as well.

Get your sh*t together with the haircut at least. I'd also recommend the Goodwill for some new clothes (I'm serious about that - I have an amazing wardrobe of designer labels which look incredibly professional for $2 and $3 an item). Just having new things to wear - even if secondhand - can feel empowering.

If, each day, you believe that is your last day of unemployment, you will have done the "mental transition" before you realize it.

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 13th September 2012 at 1:26 PM..