LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

As a unemployed person, when asked on a interview when can you start


Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree160Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th September 2012, 9:23 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow where the midnight sun and the hot springs glow. Not really. Oregon.
Posts: 9,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
Because I remember the last time i had a tough time managing my bills because I started in the middle of a pay period which meant that when I received my first check it was only a half of check. Plus I don't have anything to wear to a new job because none of my clothes FIT me since my last job.
I'll reiterate for you:

Quote:
Why don't you go to the cleaners and go shopping this week? That way, in case you ARE actually offered a job someday, you will be prepared to start.
How long have you been unemployed?
Mme. Chaucer is offline  
Old 11th September 2012, 9:26 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mme. Chaucer View Post
I'll reiterate for you:



How long have you been unemployed?


Why would I do that before a job offer? I been unemployed since January
PhillyDude is offline  
Old 11th September 2012, 9:38 PM   #18
Established Member
 
CarrieT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Napa - wine country
Posts: 11,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
Why would I do that before a job offer? I been unemployed since January
Nine months????

You don't need another week. Start buying clothes now and seeing your doctor (like I did today, immediately after an interview...)
CarrieT is offline  
Old 11th September 2012, 9:41 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieT View Post
Nine months????

You don't need another week. Start buying clothes now and seeing your doctor (like I did today, immediately after an interview...)

Why the hell would I do that before a confirmed offer? Money is tight right now and the only focus is food and bills.
PhillyDude is offline  
Old 11th September 2012, 9:45 PM   #20
Established Member
 
CarrieT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Napa - wine country
Posts: 11,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
Why the hell would I do that before a confirmed offer? Money is tight right now and the only focus is food and bills.
But an extra week on unemployment is going to make a difference when you start buying clothes and "need to reflect."

Doesn't fly, Dude.
CarrieT is offline  
Old 11th September 2012, 9:49 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieT View Post
But an extra week on unemployment is going to make a difference when you start buying clothes and "need to reflect."

Doesn't fly, Dude.


I will say this, if the start date is the Monday after my last UC filing on a sunday then I would just go ahead and start because that would confirm one last biweekly check
PhillyDude is offline  
Old 11th September 2012, 9:57 PM   #22
Established Member
 
Art_Critic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 29,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
Make sure I start the job after I file for my last UC check
WTF for ?... with this attitude you will be jobless for longer than you really care to be...

Your UC isn't there for you to use instead of a job.. it is to supplement you TIL you get a job..

Attitude means everything...

You tell your employer that you can start as soon as they need you to start..
Remember.. they possibly have another person with equal opportunity sitting there that CAN start tomorrow...
__________________
~~ One day someone will walk into your life and make you see why it never worked out with anyone else.. ~~
Art_Critic is offline  
Old 11th September 2012, 10:04 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Critic View Post
WTF for ?... with this attitude you will be jobless for longer than you really care to be...

Your UC isn't there for you to use instead of a job.. it is to supplement you TIL you get a job..

Attitude means everything...

You tell your employer that you can start as soon as they need you to start..
Remember.. they possibly have another person with equal opportunity sitting there that CAN start tomorrow...
I know, if they need me to start sooner no way will I say no but I was just hoping I have a opportunity to get myself back in work mode and not just wake up in 3 days to start a job.
PhillyDude is offline  
Old 11th September 2012, 10:37 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nunya
Posts: 354
My answer is as soon as possible if I were in your shoes. Most employers pay their employees bi weekly, so depending on when they hire you, your start date might fall on either the 15th or the 30th if they pay bi weekly. Just my two cents. It is easier for payroll to get you started on a pay day.
AlexCross is offline  
Old 12th September 2012, 2:14 PM   #25
Established Member
 
pink_sugar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 3,629
My husband started his job in the middle of an UC check and...he had to wait even longer for that check because he worked for the last day or two of that ending week.
I can understand if you need a few days to get back into the groove...but not wait a week just because of UC benefits. Most likely you will be earning more from your paycheck anyways.

From experience, there's nothing like an employer wanting you to start that very next day after the interview. I think employers will appreciate your honesty and respecting prior obligations and commitments, because it shows you will follow through with your obligations to that company if a situation ever were to arise. This also goes for willingness to rush from one job to another. In ex, saying you can start in less than two weeks if you have a job prior to the new job. This shows them the possibility that you might leave them high and dry if you were to ever leave them for another job. I think it's common a lot of people will need to prepare themselves for a new job...obtaining clothes, getting into the habit of going to bed earlier if you need to start getting up earlier for the job. But not just for UC benefits....

Last edited by pink_sugar; 12th September 2012 at 2:21 PM..
pink_sugar is offline  
Old 12th September 2012, 2:46 PM   #26
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 432
I would tell the employer could start as soon as possible, so I would not lose out on a job opportunity!
MuscleCarFan is offline  
Old 12th September 2012, 3:07 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCarFan View Post
I would tell the employer could start as soon as possible, so I would not lose out on a job opportunity!

Yeah at this point I guess that is all I can say
PhillyDude is offline  
Old 12th September 2012, 11:00 PM   #28
Established Member
 
todreaminblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: down under
Posts: 14,095
Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
And you appear to be to slightly retarded if you think someone should start a new job in 2 or 3 days

I am retarded because i would be asking to start on the spot if they needed me to.....yaaay go the window lickers......heres a lick on your window sorry about the slobber...not really slobber is useful......smile man...be retarded here is a song get up and dance then start that job....NOW.....hands up get groovin....from retarded me to the future retarded you....deb



Black eyed peas lets get retarded lyrics. - YouTube
todreaminblue is offline  
Old 12th September 2012, 11:01 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilb View Post
That question has a lot of opportunities given to you depends on your answer.
It willl show your eagerness to work, like it you say you can start immediately, it means you really would love to work for their company, but if you say something like next week, this also makes you a lot different than most people would answer making you someone they should watch for
Yeah I guess I will just ask how soon do you need me to start if asked that question. No point in jeopardizing an opportunity.

But it would be nice to start in a week or so to have one final week to relax and not stress.
PhillyDude is offline  
Old 12th September 2012, 11:03 PM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by todreaminblue View Post
I am retarded because i would be asking to start on the spot if they needed me to.....yaaay go the window lickers......heres a lick on your window sorry about the slobber...not really slobber is useful......smile man...be retarded here is a song get up and dance then start that job....NOW.....hands up get groovin....from retarded me to the future retarded you....deb



Black eyed peas lets get retarded lyrics. - YouTube

It's retarded to have someone start a new job in 2 business days but if there are no other options you may not have a choice
PhillyDude is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Female asked to go for job interview at random males home address? melissa123 Business and Professional Relationships 5 2nd December 2011 7:19 AM
I don't get asked out in person... V.Vixen Dating 25 21st August 2009 9:48 AM
How to start becoming a new person rdsmm Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being 5 28th August 2005 10:40 AM
how long should a person wait until they start dating? frogprinz29 General Relationship Discussion 5 10th August 2004 10:09 AM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 5:04 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.