LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

As a unemployed person, when asked on a interview when can you start

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree160Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th September 2012, 9:23 PM   #16

Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow where the midnight sun and the hot springs glow. Not really. Oregon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
Because I remember the last time i had a tough time managing my bills because I started in the middle of a pay period which meant that when I received my first check it was only a half of check. Plus I don't have anything to wear to a new job because none of my clothes FIT me since my last job.
I'll reiterate for you:

Quote:
Why don't you go to the cleaners and go shopping this week? That way, in case you ARE actually offered a job someday, you will be prepared to start.
How long have you been unemployed?
Old 11th September 2012, 9:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mme. Chaucer View Post
I'll reiterate for you:

How long have you been unemployed?

Why would I do that before a job offer? I been unemployed since January
Old 11th September 2012, 9:38 PM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Why would I do that before a job offer? I been unemployed since January
Nine months????

You don't need another week. Start buying clothes now and seeing your doctor (like I did today, immediately after an interview...)
Old 11th September 2012, 9:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieT View Post
Nine months????

You don't need another week. Start buying clothes now and seeing your doctor (like I did today, immediately after an interview...)

Why the hell would I do that before a confirmed offer? Money is tight right now and the only focus is food and bills.
Old 11th September 2012, 9:45 PM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
Why the hell would I do that before a confirmed offer? Money is tight right now and the only focus is food and bills.
But an extra week on unemployment is going to make a difference when you start buying clothes and "need to reflect."

Doesn't fly, Dude.
Old 11th September 2012, 9:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieT View Post
But an extra week on unemployment is going to make a difference when you start buying clothes and "need to reflect."

Doesn't fly, Dude.

I will say this, if the start date is the Monday after my last UC filing on a sunday then I would just go ahead and start because that would confirm one last biweekly check
Old 11th September 2012, 9:57 PM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
Make sure I start the job after I file for my last UC check
WTF for ?... with this attitude you will be jobless for longer than you really care to be...

Your UC isn't there for you to use instead of a job.. it is to supplement you TIL you get a job..

Attitude means everything...

You tell your employer that you can start as soon as they need you to start..
Remember.. they possibly have another person with equal opportunity sitting there that CAN start tomorrow...
Old 11th September 2012, 10:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Critic View Post
WTF for ?... with this attitude you will be jobless for longer than you really care to be...

Your UC isn't there for you to use instead of a job.. it is to supplement you TIL you get a job..

Attitude means everything...

You tell your employer that you can start as soon as they need you to start..
Remember.. they possibly have another person with equal opportunity sitting there that CAN start tomorrow...
I know, if they need me to start sooner no way will I say no but I was just hoping I have a opportunity to get myself back in work mode and not just wake up in 3 days to start a job.
Old 11th September 2012, 10:37 PM   #24

My answer is as soon as possible if I were in your shoes. Most employers pay their employees bi weekly, so depending on when they hire you, your start date might fall on either the 15th or the 30th if they pay bi weekly. Just my two cents. It is easier for payroll to get you started on a pay day.
Old 12th September 2012, 2:14 PM   #25
Established Member

My husband started his job in the middle of an UC check and...he had to wait even longer for that check because he worked for the last day or two of that ending week.
I can understand if you need a few days to get back into the groove...but not wait a week just because of UC benefits. Most likely you will be earning more from your paycheck anyways.

From experience, there's nothing like an employer wanting you to start that very next day after the interview. I think employers will appreciate your honesty and respecting prior obligations and commitments, because it shows you will follow through with your obligations to that company if a situation ever were to arise. This also goes for willingness to rush from one job to another. In ex, saying you can start in less than two weeks if you have a job prior to the new job. This shows them the possibility that you might leave them high and dry if you were to ever leave them for another job. I think it's common a lot of people will need to prepare themselves for a new job...obtaining clothes, getting into the habit of going to bed earlier if you need to start getting up earlier for the job. But not just for UC benefits....

Last edited by pink_sugar; 12th September 2012 at 2:21 PM..
Old 12th September 2012, 2:46 PM   #26
Established Member

I would tell the employer could start as soon as possible, so I would not lose out on a job opportunity!
Old 12th September 2012, 3:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCarFan View Post
I would tell the employer could start as soon as possible, so I would not lose out on a job opportunity!

Yeah at this point I guess that is all I can say
Old 12th September 2012, 11:00 PM   #28
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
And you appear to be to slightly retarded if you think someone should start a new job in 2 or 3 days

I am retarded because i would be asking to start on the spot if they needed me to.....yaaay go the window lickers......heres a lick on your window sorry about the slobber...not really slobber is useful......smile man...be retarded here is a song get up and dance then start that job....NOW.....hands up get groovin....from retarded me to the future retarded you....deb

Black eyed peas lets get retarded lyrics. - YouTube
Old 12th September 2012, 11:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilb View Post
That question has a lot of opportunities given to you depends on your answer.
It willl show your eagerness to work, like it you say you can start immediately, it means you really would love to work for their company, but if you say something like next week, this also makes you a lot different than most people would answer making you someone they should watch for
Yeah I guess I will just ask how soon do you need me to start if asked that question. No point in jeopardizing an opportunity.

But it would be nice to start in a week or so to have one final week to relax and not stress.
Old 12th September 2012, 11:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by todreaminblue View Post
I am retarded because i would be asking to start on the spot if they needed me to.....yaaay go the window lickers......heres a lick on your window sorry about the slobber...not really slobber is useful......smile man...be retarded here is a song get up and dance then start that job....NOW.....hands up get groovin....from retarded me to the future retarded you....deb

Black eyed peas lets get retarded lyrics. - YouTube

It's retarded to have someone start a new job in 2 business days but if there are no other options you may not have a choice