LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

As a unemployed person, when asked on a interview when can you start

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree160Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2012, 1:41 PM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_sugar View Post
The fact that I've known a few people who've gone from making 80k-100k a year to barely more than minimum wage at a retail job to make some extra cash after being unemployed for some time and just happy to have A JOB, makes you pale in comparison.

ANd how <> can someone pay rent with a minimum wage job? You go ahead and keep laughing at people who are struggling and see what happens to you in the future

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 10th October 2012 at 6:30 PM.. Reason: Language
Old 10th October 2012, 2:14 PM   #182
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
ANd how <> can someone pay rent with a minimum wage job? You go ahead and keep laughing at people who are struggling and see what happens to you in the future
how can you pay rent with NO job? at least minimum wage is something until you find something better. most people need to work for a living, even if the pay is low. you take what you can get until you find something better.

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 10th October 2012 at 6:32 PM.. Reason: Edited quote
Old 10th October 2012, 2:24 PM   #183
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_amber View Post
how can you pay rent with NO job? at least minimum wage is something until you find something better. most people need to work for a living, even if the pay is low. you take what you can get until you find something better.
Apparently unemployment pays him better than a minimum wage job. One of the many things I never understood about his country's government.
Old 10th October 2012, 2:27 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elswyth View Post
Apparently unemployment pays him better than a minimum wage job. One of the many things I never understood about his country's government.
The problem is partly that unemployment is MEANT to be a short term cushion insurance while securing a new job, but it keeps getting extended. If you're staring at the end of your gravy train it's a lot easier to get off your ass and get a job unloading trucks.
Old 10th October 2012, 2:28 PM   #185
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
FYI, for the last 5 years I've been living off barely more than minimum wage that won't even cover half my rent here. The difference is that myself and others here choose not to have the poor me attitude and take whatever job we can in this economy until we find something better. It's better than NO JOB. There are a lot of limits on UC, which is why people will take just about anything right now. I think $1500 monthly is the cap on UC, so almost any job would be better.

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 10th October 2012 at 6:31 PM..
Old 10th October 2012, 2:34 PM   #186
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123321 View Post
The problem is partly that unemployment is MEANT to be a short term cushion insurance while securing a new job, but it keeps getting extended. If you're staring at the end of your gravy train it's a lot easier to get off your ass and get a job unloading trucks.
Honestly, I think people should not be allowed to get unemployment unless they can prove physical or mental disability, period. They don't have to starve, they should be provided with a homeless shelter to live in and food stamps to subsist on, but it's ridiculous to pay them more than minimum wage workers when they're not even doing anything. Given the choice between running around all day as a waiter and getting less than sitting around at home all day... hmmm... what a tough choice...
123321 likes this.
Old 10th October 2012, 2:36 PM   #187
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_sugar View Post
FYI, for the last 5 years I've been living off barely more than minimum wage that won't even cover half my rent here. The difference is that myself and others here choose not to have the poor me attitude and take whatever job we can in this economy until we find something better. It's better than NO JOB. There are a lot of limits on UC, which is why people will take just about anything right now. I think $1500 monthly is the cap on UC, so almost any job would be better.
$1500 monthly is something like 150 hours of minimum wage depending on where you live, and is $500 more than I used to survive on as a student. It is absolutely plenty, especially if you don't have to ever, ever consider working (so you can live far away from the city, don't need transport, or clothes, or classes to better your skills, etc). I'm quite aghast that the USA is putting out that much for people like the OP. Seriously, how about doing something useful with that money like better healthcare or free tertiary education?
123321 likes this.
Old 10th October 2012, 2:37 PM   #188

Quote:
Honestly, I think people should not be allowed to get unemployment unless they can prove physical or mental disability, period. They don't have to starve, they should be provided with a homeless shelter to live in and food stamps to subsist on, but it's ridiculous to pay them more than minimum wage workers when they're not even doing anything. Given the choice between running around all day as a waiter and getting less than sitting around at home all day... hmmm... what a tough choice...
Well people who are employed are forced to pay into a fund for UC, so I have no issue with that paying out for a short term, it's why we pay IN. But when it becomes a form of welfare, I have issues with it, just as you note. When it runs out, get in a soup line, take a sh*t job, or try to get some other assistance if you legitimately qualify for it.
Elswyth likes this.
Old 10th October 2012, 2:38 PM   #189

Quote:
$1500 monthly is something like 150 hours of minimum wage depending on where you live, and is $500 more than I used to survive on as a student.
If anyone wants to pay me $1500 a month I'll go back to drinking beer and scuba diving in Southeast Asia. No problem.
Old 10th October 2012, 2:39 PM   #190
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

This issue appears to have run its course so I'll close the thread.