LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

As a unemployed person, when asked on a interview when can you start

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree160Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th September 2012, 6:27 PM   #1

As a unemployed person, when asked on a interview when can you start

If I have a interview on a wednesday or Thursday and asked when can I start?

Is it ok to say the following Monday? Or should I just ask when do they need me to start by?

In all honesty I would not want to start the next monday after the interview. I would like a week to myself so I can prepare myself to start a new job, go to the cleaners, go shopping for new clothes.

I think it would be tacky for a employer to ask me to start on a Monday if the interview is on a wed or Thursday just because I;m unemployed.

The last job I was at asked me to start the Tuesday after Memorial Day which was ridiculous. Then I also want to make sure I;m starting the Monday after I file for my UC benefits since I don't get a pay check for 2 weeks.
Old 11th September 2012, 6:29 PM   #2

Location: Working on a clear blue summer sky, at BuddhaDhammaSangha
"When would you like me to start?"

That way makes their intentions quite clear, and gives them the option of getting you onto the payroll at a good time.
Old 11th September 2012, 6:30 PM   #3
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
Is it ok to say the following Monday? Or should I just ask when do they need me to start by?
I am in exactly the same boat as you and I do not believe there is anything wrong with being honest and telling them you are not available until the following Monday.

If they press, you can even state something like, "I'd like the final week to wrap up some personal appointments so that I can start fresh and focused."

That's all!
Old 11th September 2012, 6:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieT View Post
I am in exactly the same boat as you and I do not believe there is anything wrong with being honest and telling them you are not available until the following Monday.

If they press, you can even state something like, "I'd like the final week to wrap up some personal appointments so that I can start fresh and focused."

That's all!
Thanks that sounds good
Old 11th September 2012, 6:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraMaiden View Post
"When would you like me to start?"

That way makes their intentions quite clear, and gives them the option of getting you onto the payroll at a good time.

Thank You I will keep this in mind
Old 11th September 2012, 7:01 PM   #6
Established Member

I would tell them "tomorrow" and be ten minutes early.

You're unemployed. I don't care if it's been ten days, ten weeks or ten years...you don't need time to get things in order.

You've had time and an organized person would be ready before they sent their resume.

You'll make a good impression if you are good to go. Much better than someone who needs more time off.
Old 11th September 2012, 7:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaysngrace View Post
I would tell them "tomorrow" and be ten minutes early.

You're unemployed. I don't care if it's been ten days, ten weeks or ten years...you don't need time to get things in order.

You've had time and an organized person would be ready before they sent their resume.

You'll make a good impression if you are good to go. Much better than someone who needs more time off.
Shopping for new clothes
Last doctor visit
Make sure I start the job after I file for my last UC check

That's why
CarrieT likes this.
Old 11th September 2012, 7:39 PM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
Shopping for new clothes
Last doctor visit
Make sure I start the job after I file for my last UC check

That's why
I don't mean to offend you but I'm going to tell you the same thing that I say to my children: "Excuses are for Losers"

Sorry.
Old 11th September 2012, 7:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaysngrace View Post
I don't mean to offend you but I'm going to tell you the same thing that I say to my children: "Excuses are for Losers"

Sorry.

And you appear to be to slightly retarded if you think someone should start a new job in 2 or 3 days
Old 11th September 2012, 7:59 PM   #10
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
If I have a interview on a wednesday or Thursday and asked when can I start?

In all honesty I would not want to start the next monday after the interview. I would like a week to myself so I can prepare myself to start a new job, go to the cleaners, go shopping for new clothes.

I think it would be tacky for a employer to ask me to start on a Monday if the interview is on a wed or Thursday just because I;m unemployed.

The last job I was at asked me to start the Tuesday after Memorial Day which was ridiculous. Then I also want to make sure I;m starting the Monday after I file for my UC benefits since I don't get a pay check for 2 weeks.
You are unemployed you want a job the employer has your job you want.

You can start yesterday.Don't go for a job interview if you are not ready to start on the spot.......I went for a factory job(high heat hot glue heaters, i went in suit skirt jacket high necked blouse high heels.......if they had asked me to start on the spot i would have taken my jacket off borrowed a pair of boots and got into it....they didn't ask me to start on the spot, i started the next day though.I dont think you should attend a job interview with thinking i will start when I am ready.......deb
Old 11th September 2012, 8:03 PM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
And you appear to be to slightly retarded if you think someone should start a new job in 2 or 3 days
Then tell the boss that, go shop and to the doctors and whatever else you've been procrastinating on, and hope for something else to come along.

Good luck.
Old 11th September 2012, 8:04 PM   #12

Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow where the midnight sun and the hot springs glow. Not really. Oregon.
Quote:
Haven't you been jobless for a very, very long time? Don't you believe that there are "retarded" people who very well might say they'll start tomorrow? If there are there goes your opportunity.

I think it's kind of odd that you are already thinking about how come you can't start right away you have not even been offered a job yet.

Why don't you go to the cleaners and go shopping this week? That way, in case you ARE actually offered a job someday, you will be prepared to start.
Old 11th September 2012, 8:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by todreaminblue View Post
You are unemployed you want a job the employer has your job you want.

You can start yesterday.Don't go for a job interview if you are not ready to start on the spot.......I went for a factory job(high heat hot glue heaters, i went in suit skirt jacket high necked blouse high heels.......if they had asked me to start on the spot i would have taken my jacket off borrowed a pair of boots and got into it....they didn't ask me to start on the spot, i started the next day though.I dont think you should attend a job interview with thinking i will start when I am ready.......deb

It would just be nice to have a final week to reflect back on the long road to a job offer and get some things done because I would know that i would not have another day off in a long time. I would need new work clothes because I lost weight since the last time I was employed.
Old 11th September 2012, 8:14 PM   #14
Established Member

How long have you been unemployed?

In my case, I've only been out of work for less than four weeks so an extra week would be nice.

But if you've been unemployed for MONTHS, then I think you should start your reflecting now and go get clothes immediately and be ready to get back to work.

Detracting my original advice, depending on the above-inscribed time variable....
Old 11th September 2012, 8:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mme. Chaucer View Post
Haven't you been jobless for a very, very long time? Don't you believe that there are "retarded" people who very well might say they'll start tomorrow? If there are there goes your opportunity.

I think it's kind of odd that you are already thinking about how come you can't start right away you have not even been offered a job yet.

Why don't you go to the cleaners and go shopping this week? That way, in case you ARE actually offered a job someday, you will be prepared to start.

Because I remember the last time i had a tough time managing my bills because I started in the middle of a pay period which meant that when I received my first check it was only a half of check. Plus I don't have anything to wear to a new job because none of my clothes FIT me since my last job.