So this guy is my age (20s), cute, smart, geeky but aggressive, if that makes sense. I'm not sure but I'd say he is a little insecure. He often emails me random links and things at work, but sometimes he is very casual, other times he replies formally, i.e. Regards, X, or just very bluntly. I don't get him but I am testing the waters to get to know him better. Im attractive and would hazard that we're in each others leagues, but I'm not used to putting myself out there.

I have only been going up to his desk to talk rather than e-mailing, asking him how he is, etc. So, I ended up sending him a random text last night for the first time after work drinks, and he hasn't replied..

There was no question in the text, but still. That's a definite no, right? :(

It suggests that he may not be willing to let your banter spill over into a non-work context.

I think it's a bad idea to mix your personal life with your work life. It can come across as unprofessional, especially if you work in the same department and/or are client-facing. Your company may even have a policy against colleagues getting romantically involved.

My advice is too keep the banter in the workplace and to not have any expectations that he might want to date you.

• Like 2

If you really like him go for it, but generally speaking, dating someone from work can cause alot of complications and distractions. Oh, and if it doesn't work out, the complications and distractions can increase ten-fold, trust me.

• 4 weeks later...
How do you deal with a coworker who is constantly telling her coworkers that her Dad molested her?

The next time it comes up, maybe gently say, I'm sure we're all sorry that happened to you, but we aren't trained counselors here. Maybe you should talk to a professional so you can get past this." Don't put a hand on her shoulder or anything. Say it gently and maybe your co-workers will murmur agreement. You could even run it by your friends at work in case they are there and can be prepared to agree with you in an effort to communicate this to her effectively.