How to Quit Job

I have been working at a small business for less than a year, I just got offered a new position that I would love to take. I am very nervous about quitting since this is a small company and I am the only office person. How have others in the same situation gone about this?

CarrieT is correct, that's it.

As a courtesy, if there is not one, you may consider putting together a notebook of job details for your replacement.

Also, it's possible your current employer will counter with a pay increase...will that make a difference?

You want a referral so have a reason for taking the new job , that your current employer cannot find insulting.

Don't be uncomfortable, this is the way it's done.

• Author

I am just afraid of the brash I am going to receive, I am doing it because I found a job with benefits which I need. I have never quit a professional job before, and am kind of nervous to show up there.:( I told them i was going to stick around for the long term so I feel extremely bad.

UpwardForward

I know what you're saying 21. I had a boss who objected because I had promised the world when I was hired, and then left because of pregnancy.

IMO, as professional people they're expected to know that circumstances change. Just be truthful if they ask you any questions.

2Sure's idea is great regarding making a notebook concerning you job and description. I did this with one of my jobs before leaving. I felt I was leaving behind, much more than I knew beforehand.

The two weeks notice is very important - and offering to train your replacement, if need be.

In this economy, it shouldn't be difficult for them to find another good applicant.

• Author

Very true I am sure they will be able to find another replacement soon with all the people looking for jobs. The notebook idea was great, I will find out tommorrow night if all my references came through. So I might shoot my boss an email over the weekend letting him know and then a formal letter that monday.

Do you have any friends, relatives or neighbors who might be a good replacement? Tell them about the job to see if they are interested and then tell your boss. It will make him feel less anxious if he knows there are already eager applicants.

Unless you signed a contract, you don't owe an employer anything. You can leave a job for any reason and they can fire you for any reason.

I am just afraid of the brash I am going to receive, I am doing it because I found a job with benefits which I need. I have never quit a professional job before, and am kind of nervous to show up there.:( I told them i was going to stick around for the long term so I feel extremely bad.

I had a job that treated me horrible. I gave them a weeks notice. My manager was unhappy, said it wouldn't fly at any other job. I should have told her the treatment I was receiving wouldn't fly either, but I didn't. Legally you can leave the job that day and not come back according to at-will employment. 2 weeks is a courtesy and looks well, but with the treatment I was receiving there, they should be glad I had given any notice.

Very true I am sure they will be able to find another replacement soon with all the people looking for jobs. The notebook idea was great, I will find out tommorrow night if all my references came through. So I might shoot my boss an email over the weekend letting him know and then a formal letter that monday.

If you're really concerned about creating bad blood, I'd suggest the following:

First of all, I would suggest actually telling him something like this in person, face-to-face, or by phone if you can't meet face-to-face. Add the email or letter to put it in writing and to confirm what you've already said in person. It adds a personal touch, and it's usually appreciated if you two can both spare the time. I would maybe do it after work tomorrow - the sooner, the better. If you can't do it then maybe by phone would be better.

Also, keep in mind that two weeks is a minimum amount of time you should give someone -- give them three weeks or more if it's possible. If it's not possible, then give him as much notice as possible and offer to be available for questions or additional help with the transition until you can get things smoothed over.

I had a job that treated me horrible. I gave them a weeks notice. My manager was unhappy, said it wouldn't fly at any other job. I should have told her the treatment I was receiving wouldn't fly either, but I didn't. Legally you can leave the job that day and not come back according to at-will employment. 2 weeks is a courtesy and looks well, but with the treatment I was receiving there, they should be glad I had given any notice.

Two weeks is a minimum amount of time. It only takes a few days to hire someone, but to hire the right person can take a while. In a situation like this, you don't want to burn bridges. If I were being verbally abused by the manager in my time there, I would probably just talk to him after work and confront him on it and ask him directly whether he wants me to remain or to leave. The management is owed respect and gratitude for hiring me, which is why I give them ample notice and offer to do my very best on my way out. But that's a two way street: If someone wants me to stay - even for a few days - they're going to treat me with respect.

Having said that, I'm a bit older, I have a network of people who know me and my work ethic, and I've established myself. I guess I can afford to occasionally throw down the gauntlet when it's worth it (not often though, lol). It's different when you're younger and nobody knows who the hell you are. I've been in that situation and it's anxiety-inducing for sure. That's why the first few years in the job market are really important - especially now.

Edited by Fugu
Two weeks is a minimum amount of time. It only takes a few days to hire someone, but to hire the right person can take a while. In a situation like this, you don't want to burn bridges. If I were being verbally abused by the manager in my time there, I would probably just talk to him after work and confront him on it and ask him directly whether he wants me to remain or to leave. The management is owed respect and gratitude for hiring me, which is why I give them ample notice and offer to do my very best on my way out. But that's a two way street: If someone wants me to stay - even for a few days - they're going to treat me with respect.

Having said that, I'm a bit older, I have a network of people who know me and my work ethic, and I've established myself. I guess I can afford to occasionally throw down the gauntlet when it's worth it (not often though, lol). It's different when you're younger and nobody knows who the hell you are. I've been in that situation and it's anxiety-inducing for sure. That's why the first few years in the job market are really important - especially now.

Yeah at this point I had already had it with this job. I had gone to management and the union several times an the situation with my supervisor in my department kept getting worse. (she was only recently promoted from my level and made it clear she didn't give a damn about her job until she was promoted) she would purposely schedule me to work and give herself the day off even though I requested it far in advance. This particular weekend was my wedding anniversary, which is why I just decided I had had it with that company and quit. I was just there for a job, I wasn't there for experience or anything and I landed a much better job a few months later. I don't regret it at all. I had really had it with them at that point, although I should have told them why I was quitting prematurely.