My boyfriend has his own business, but lately, I wonder about that. He doesn't seem to have many clients. He does things like setup LinkedIn profiles and create Facebook pages, he has his own website - but nothing seems to come from this. They are barely maintained, created and then pushed aside. I wonder about his ability to get his business off the ground and be successful - I'm not sure if he knows how to do that. He does make money - he doesn't have many bills to pay for work as much as he takes in everything he earns that doesn't go to food, living expenses, etc. - but I feel (as someone who works in business) that he could do more to create a bigger and more positive presence on the Internet to generate business. I don't want to butt my nose in where it doesn't belong because he hasn't asked my opinion, but I am concerned because I don't think he will achieve long-term success if he doesn't make more substantial efforts to get his business on the radar of the world beyond those people he is friends with or worked with?

january2011

Perhaps it's "enough" as he defines it. From what you've written, he makes enough to cover his bills and maintains a relationship with you.

Unless his business and financial situation have a negative impact upon your relationhip other than your perception/opinion that he's not doing "enough" as you define it, I think that you should let him be and trust that he knows what he's doing.

Otherwise, find a business owner boyfriend whose business acumen matches your perception of what business acumen looks like.

Personally, I wouldn't date someone without a lot of drive. But that's just me. And my DD21, who flat out tells guys that if they aren't getting at least a Bachelors degree she won't even date them.

I would definitely bring it up to him, as it may affect whether you remain attracted to him.