In the past Ive applied several times for different retail jobs. Even if you make the effort and ask them in person it makes zero difference. I don't know how many of these jobs I applied for and never even got a reply. It's very common. My friend works at one of these places and he told me years ago to apply on online. I told him not to BS me. All the people that work in these places are either friends or family. It's just utter BS.

• Like 2
Stupid Girl

I don't know what universe your friend is from, but I've never heard of anyone getting an interview for a retail job by submitting a resume online. They hire based on seeing you in person, seeing how you interact with people - the resume often doesn't have as much to do with it. I've known several people who have been hired without resumes at all, just by being particularly charismatic.

I've worked in 2 major retail stores, and both I applied for in person, by speaking directly to the store manager, and for both I got interviews right away. Just make a good impression with the right person and turn on the charisma!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author

That's the problem you ask to speak to the manager and then all they tell you is to apply online. that happened several times to me.

• Like 2
MuscleCarFan

Applying online is a black hole. You can send out a ton of resumes and never hear back because there is no way to contact anyone there on the status of the application.

• Like 1

SG, almost all the chain retailers use on-line applications for "local" job openings. Even worse, some places (Sam's Club, etc) want you to fill out a psychological-based test to see if you have the qualifications to even BE on their team. It's bullsheet, but for them, a very effective way to weed out applicants. (BTW, when you take those, you need to be dishonest and tell them what THEY want to hear, and not what you think!)

anymore, the surest way to procure employment is to have an in by knowing someone who works there. I've been on several interviews for various types of jobs since March, and my old standard of "if I can keep their interest past the 20-minute allotted slot, I'm in" no longer holds true. It's very frustrating, especially when all there is are positions that have NOTHING to do with your actual training/career's work, because then you're dumped for being over-qualified.

and they say the economy is doing well? Sheesh! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like 2

I've always applied online and always got the job. It's good to do the application online and resume because if you do decide to just show up and talk in person, you would have all the information they want complete. The interview will not be so far then. :)

• Like 1
SincereOnlineGuy
In the past Ive applied several times for different retail jobs. Even if you make the effort and ask them in person it makes zero difference. I don't know how many of these jobs I applied for and never even got a reply. It's very common. My friend works at one of these places and he told me years ago to apply on online. I told him not to BS me. All the people that work in these places are either friends or family. It's just utter BS.

LOL - yeah right.

"Apply Online" is just a convenience factor for employers as it would be for a total hottie unable to keep-up with processing the applicants to date her. He/she who pursues the hottie despite this probably has only him/herself to blame for never getting a reply.

Just like in the dating game, the "hottie" has no time for you, because he/she has many, many other options.

MuscleCarFan
SG, almost all the chain retailers use on-line applications for "local" job openings. Even worse, some places (Sam's Club, etc) want you to fill out a psychological-based test to see if you have the qualifications to even BE on their team. It's bullsheet, but for them, a very effective way to weed out applicants. (BTW, when you take those, you need to be dishonest and tell them what THEY want to hear, and not what you think!)

anymore, the surest way to procure employment is to have an in by knowing someone who works there. I've been on several interviews for various types of jobs since March, and my old standard of "if I can keep their interest past the 20-minute allotted slot, I'm in" no longer holds true. It's very frustrating, especially when all there is are positions that have NOTHING to do with your actual training/career's work, because then you're dumped for being over-qualified.

and they say the economy is doing well? Sheesh! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Psychological-based tests and the sort are complete BS. I applied to some position at (JPMorgan) Chase Bank and I was 1/2 way through the questionnaire when I was summarily cut off. Seriously?! I waste 30 minutes of my time to be cut off and told "you don't fit for this position but good luck with your job search and apply to these other positions with us blah blah blah blah." Well eff you is what I have to say! :mad:

Abystarswoman

A lot of these "apply online" positions are questionnaires that are compiled by a company called Unicru. They ask targeted questions and use a sliding scale to rate how your response fits with the company's general "mission statement" or objective. If your responses are not in line with the general scoring system that the company wants, you're either immediately rejected with a curt "thanks, but no thanks" message, or your application will process, but you'll never hear anything from them. I've seen people try to "beat" these things - there's really no way to do that unless you have a good idea of what the company wants to hear. (I'd estimate that retail outlets are the easiest to gauge as far as tailored responses - they tend to have a lot of questions regarding honesty, ethics, etc. The whole objective is - are you honest or do you steal?)

The company that I had worked for that utilized Unicru testing was under strict hiring guidelines - if an applicant scored even one point below the Unicru-based threshold, I was not allowed to hire them - period. In my opinion, they lost a LOT of good applicants that way, but companies these days swear by those tests.

• Like 3
A lot of these "apply online" positions are questionnaires that are compiled by a company called Unicru. They ask targeted questions and use a sliding scale to rate how your response fits with the company's general "mission statement" or objective. If your responses are not in line with the general scoring system that the company wants, you're either immediately rejected with a curt "thanks, but no thanks" message, or your application will process, but you'll never hear anything from them. I've seen people try to "beat" these things - there's really no way to do that unless you have a good idea of what the company wants to hear. (I'd estimate that retail outlets are the easiest to gauge as far as tailored responses - they tend to have a lot of questions regarding honesty, ethics, etc. The whole objective is - are you honest or do you steal?)

The company that I had worked for that utilized Unicru testing was under strict hiring guidelines - if an applicant scored even one point below the Unicru-based threshold, I was not allowed to hire them - period. In my opinion, they lost a LOT of good applicants that way, but companies these days swear by those tests.

Unicru seems mostly geared towards retail positions. Unicru=evil, because most of those you never hear from in my experience. It's funny how better paying, more professional jobs just require you to submit your resume and not waste your time with the unicru crap. The funny thing is, some of these places that use these have the most robotic and unfriendly employees I've ever seen. Unicru must work real well for them! I wholeheartedly agree that Unicru type tests really does weed out very good potential applicants. It's really a shame.

• Like 2
MuscleCarFan
Unicru seems mostly geared towards retail positions. Unicru=evil, because most of those you never hear from in my experience. It's funny how better paying, more professional jobs just require you to submit your resume and not waste your time with the unicru crap. The funny thing is, some of these places that use these have the most robotic and unfriendly employees I've ever seen. Unicru must work real well for them! I wholeheartedly agree that Unicru type tests really does weed out very good potential applicants. It's really a shame.

I agree. Unicru is a joke. Too many good people could eliminated by a stupid asinine test.

• Like 1

What I found funny about the Target Application is

You had to commit 45 straight minutes to the application. You couldn't leave the tab open and come back in 15 mins because the site would log you off

And this is why crime is rising because people are sick of the BS

• Like 1
SincereOnlineGuy
What I found funny about the Target Application is

You had to commit 45 straight minutes to the application. You couldn't leave the tab open and come back in 15 mins because the site would log you off

And this is why crime is rising because people are sick of the BS

That is merely because Target wants nothing to do with paying people to be there for eight hours when their attention span is less than 45 minutes, and it has nothing to do with "crime".

You probably did lose some good prospects, but for every good prospect that was spurned, they might have saved themselves the headaches of having a few slouches hired somewhere else within the system. They want uniformity, and they'll value that, even if it means overlooking a few good employees along the way...the challenges of being a big, less flexible company versus smaller and nimble.

• Like 1
That is merely because Target wants nothing to do with paying people to be there for eight hours when their attention span is less than 45 minutes, and it has nothing to do with "crime".

I have more important things to do than to fill out a application for 45 freaking minutes. Target and their application is a JOKE

• Like 1
I have more important things to do than to fill out a application for 45 freaking minutes. Target and their application is a JOKE

Maybe you do, but if you're unemployed and Target's a big name in town and you want their respect, then you'd better get your head in the game.