How to avoid saying my compensation expectations during an interview?

watermelonjuice

What's a good way of dodging questions about my compensation expectations during an interview or answering it in a diplomatic way that doesn't reveal what I'm getting now?

The reason is that a friend will be interviewing me and I'm not comfortable letting him know how much I'm earning.

You shouldn't refuse to answer what you expect to make. It makes you look expensive and vague to them. Why put so much effort in a candidate that might refuse their offer, when others are clear about their expectations? However, you don't need to tell them how much you make now either.

A good answer is something to the effect of "I'm looking to make somewhere in the 60 to 66k range" or whatever.

Just make sure that you're comfortable with the lower figure, as it may very well be what they offer you. With the economy as it is, unless you're top talent in your field, it may be their only offer.

That's the answer I've always given, and the last time I was offered near the top of my range, much to my surprise.

Good luck,

-A

• Like 1
Mme. Chaucer

What would benefit you from concealing your compensation expectations during a job interview, regardless of who's interviewing you? Isn't it important that they know?

It's actually a really good question to weed out people who would dodge it, rather than do the research to know what they expect to be making in such a position. Generally, it's good to have a range and also emphasize (if true) that you're willing to entertain other offers, based on the entire package of benefits etc and opportunities for growth. So, no one is necessarily expecting you to blurt out what you currently make or pick an exact number, but no, there's no good way to dodge the question entirely if asked -- it just makes you look weak, vague, expensive, difficult, and all sorts of other bad things.

• Like 1
january2011
I'm not comfortable letting him know how much I'm earning.

He may find out anyway if he speaks to your current employer. It's an important question to answer. As zengirl wrote, you need to also do your research and find out what is "reasonable" for the position you're interviewing for, then add 10-15% so that you have room to negotiate.

I also agree that coming across as "secretive" will not do you any favours in an interview. As an interviewer, I found that candidates who were less than forthcoming and dodged questions tended to leave a bad impression.

I definitely think it's important to know what your compensation will be. My brother blindly moved out of state for a job after college that ended up being not much more than minimum wage.:sick: Needless to say, he got fired and had to move back within 2 months.