Obtaining References

I am curious to know how people here go about building a list of references to utilize in a job search. Most jobs want you to list previous supervisors, but sometimes I find that these people move on and eventually "get lost". Also, most companies have rules about who can give a reference.

Also, does anyone else here run into former supervisors who ask for weird personal favors in order to keep them "primed" to give a reference? Isn't it enough to just have done excellent work?

I have lost contact with all my previous managers and supervisors.

I know I am a great, hard worker in my jobs, yet I would never. get. a . job. Ever again. If I just relied o true past references, I would never get a job. Because they want at least 2 work based referees.

It is not fair for me to never be emlpoyed, due to me not having refereces, so I ask my friends in jobs to lie for me and be my referee. They know my character and my work ethic.

So, for some people wanting to get a job, they either have to lie about referee's, or stay unemployed all their lives.

VERY, VERY few places will give you an interview, much less a JOB, if you do not have 3 work based references.

It is not fair, how you can be a great worker, and yet have lost contact with previous supervisors.

For me, my only option would be to go to college/University and study for four years - short of that, my ONLY option to get a job, is to forge fake references. Because it is unfair that I will never get a job if I was honest.

I need to eat and would like to even afford new clothes every now and again * dreams*

• Author

Yeah, I think references are such a pain. I don't think it is fair, either.

Especially if you've gone out of your way to do a great job and be helpful to the person at work, but they still expect you to ingratiate yourself with them for the next 10 years.

Look, until you make it in your career and get your foot in the door, a lot of people have to lie.

A lot of people mess up in life, but are otherwise great workers, and will simply not be even given an interview to prove themselves, UNLESS they lie on their resume.

All they want to do is do a great job. They just know they need to GET the job interview, which is based on their resume.

I have had to make up a ton of jobs I have had ( I am only talking about retail, hospitality, and basic admin and sales bases jobs in the customer service industry - NOT high powered or even middle class degree holder jobs)

I was into drugs and anorexic and have not that much experience in any one job, yet I am absolutely great with people, so my resume shows that I have had a bunch of experience.

Guess what? I have always done fantastic jobs, at the few jobs I HAVe had, and it did not make an iota of difference that I lied about a few extra jobs and references in order to get it.

I have since quit those jobs, as I had full time study and needed a lot of tutoring for maths in my spare time and had no time for full or even part time work.

I went and did a great job in the one or two jobs I held, and it made NO differece that I lied and said I had worked in 30 places, opposed to the 2 I had perviously worked at.

I sure as hell will not stay unemployed for 5 years just because I need to be totally " honest" in my resume...

If I can do a great job, I will now get a CHANCE to be seen.

Not all people need to lie, only people like me who need to get their foot in the door, who know they will be great at certain jobs, but have had a life experience that hindered them from having ANY jobs.

And don't worry - I have hit up all the people I know in retail and all the sales jobs I have outlined, so I know all the roles and responsibilities needed, and I am never caught out with my resume and " proclaimed" experience.

Again - a lot of people will flame me for even suggesting I lie. BUt it gets me job interviews when I look for new work.

As long as I do a great job, I do not feel the least bit guilty.

beautiful people must get eway more work opportunities because they are beautiful, without having done any work for it.

UpwardForward

OP, Just tell the truth. You'll be blessed for doing so.

Edited by UpwardForward
  • 1 month later...

It's always good to write down important phone numbers from any job you have because you won't have to go through the trouble finding references. I do know that jobs will not take family members as references, they usually want people that are non related that have worked with you or know you personally.

Abystarswoman

If you need to get in touch with previous supervisors, I've found that researching them on LinkedIn can be helpful. I was able to find a couple of people that I'd previously worked with that way and it really did help me out.

Barring that, you could always claim that you worked as a consultant and list three personal references, as long as they were on board with what you're trying to do. I also believe that you should be as honest as you can - however, there are limited circumstances where you might have to use what you have, even if it's not considered "good enough".