how to be successful in Sales - and accounts on travel experiences

To anyone who has ever travelled: I need your testimonials of the high points of your trips.

And to anyone in SALES: I need tops on how to be a good sales person.

I need travel testimonials, and advice in how to suceed in a sales driven job.

I am very personable and friendly and have the right personality to deal with people.

I just need SALES experience.

I am earger to get into Travel Sales, and while I desperatelt WANT to travel a lot - ( particularly throughout central and South America, Africa, and Europe)

I have ONLY ever been:

- on a bus tour through 11 states of the USA when I was 13

- throughout most Asian Countries, including living in Hong Kong

I am from and live in Australia.

Having not had much travel experience mself, to be proactive in gaining knowledge about the good things to do in other countries, I am going to go to travel journals and testimonials of people who have travelled. I will get first hand experiences from people, in each country.

It is hard; I really DO want to spend most of my life, in my time off from work - travelling. I always have. It is my passion in life, to explore the world. I love people and actually feel stiffled, staying in the same country for so long. I have a great need to see what is out there, in terms of the types of people in different places, and the different visual settlings.

Because I have not had the money to travel, I worry that because I lack travel experience... I will have to go get another job, and save to travel, and THEN apply for a travel based job.

I am passionate about travel and fitness. I have my PT qualifications, and now I am about to start a Travel Sales diploma (well, cert 3, but I will be going o to the diploma)

I am having these career options, so when I get a degree, I will have good jobs to fall back on; jobs I am passionate about. I am 25, and I am not speding 4 years studying, when I may not get a job in my degree, and have nothing to fall back on.

I guess if they need people with more travel experience, I will have to go down the fitness route, as I am passionate about that field also.

Better still, both fitness and Travel Sales will enable me to work, and go to uni later down the track and get a RELATED degree: exercise or foods science for fitness, and international tourism management for Travel..............

OR, I would just get a social sciences degree and become a social worker - and have fitness to fall back on.

So, for now I am being as proactive as I can, to get a travel Sales position - advice from sales people or former sales people, ad testimonials on people who have travelled, will really be appreciated

• Author

come onnnnnnnn, surely some people who are adept at, or even talented at SALES, can give me some pointers? On how to sell travel packages in particularly?

If I were skilled at anything, I would feel proud to be expert enough to share my experience.

I hope there is someone on here who likes to share their expertise:)

I dunno, but I value honesty in my emplyees. In my small company, each of use has to sell products and services. Are you honest? Or do you fudge the truth? I have had salepeople tell me things I knew were not the truth. I stopped doing business with those companies.

Mme. Chaucer

I was a professional sales person and owned a successful wholesale company with my ex husband.

In my opinion, for sales, you either have "it" or you don't. "It" can come in many different forms, though.

I agree that honesty is key. Good follow through, and an ability to pay attention to your customer and anticipate what they might need or want. Be bold about suggesting things without being pushy.

Leigh, you personally are going to have to get a lot more disciplined about how you express yourself if you will be a consistent and reliable employee in a sales related company. That includes the way you organize your thoughts and they way they come out in writing, including spelling and grammar. Communication, both verbal AND written, is absolutely crucial.

You should practice this HERE and stop letting things get posted with mistakes. Practice here and on any other forums you frequent as well as facebook will help you later.

Frankly, from this post and other recent ones, you appear to be all over the map with your ruminations about the future, working and travel, and not focussed at all.

It's great that you want to get certified to work at something you are "passionate" about, but sometimes what a person needs is to just get started working, and work their way into the passion inspiring carreer.

january2011

I've worked in sales, business development and marketing. Both locally, nationally and internationally. As well as online and offline (face-to-face and telephone). B2B and B2C.

I agree with Mme. Chaucer in that you need to be more focused/disciplined about what you want to do, and more strict about how you communicate and the content of your messages.

From experience, successful sales people tend to be very focused and driven in their goals. They have to be self-starters, flexible, able to show initiative, stay motivated during challenging circumstances and able to get on well with a wide variety of people - especially since you'll be working internationally and will need to be sensitive to cultural differences.

In most cases, people buy from people they like and people who they feel understand their needs. Thus, you need to be sensitive to customer needs, even if it means that you can't make a sale but have to recommend someone else. Being able to think outside the box to recommend alternatives (whether from your company or others), is an essential skill.

It's also worth trying to get inside your customers' heads. When people book travel, it may not be a simple case of A-->B. It could be the last ditch attempt to save a marriage or someone making a new start after a bad break up. Help your customers to meet their "real" needs - that's creating customer delight and will win you brownie points. This is where being able to read people comes in handy.

You also need to have thick skin. This will enable you to bounce back from the overwhelming rejections and close the handful of sales you need to make your targets.

As well as your customers and products/services, I'd also suggest that you get to know your market and competitors as well as you can. Work closely with the marketing people - don't treat them like the enemy. You may end up being a cog in a big machine, but that doesn't mean that you don't need to know what the big machine is trying to do, or what the other cogs are trying to do.

Edited by january2011
Mme. Chaucer

Regarding the travel testimonials, you'll get the best of that if you join any of the hundreds of travel fora on the web if you aren't already involved.

A good salesman knows what his clients wants, and what he needs. He shows the client why what he is selling satisfies what he needs (most important) but also will make him feel like he's getting what he wants.

IF you're a travel agent dealing with a bunch of young men, for example, you'll sell them a package that fits their budget and gets to the location they want (the needs), but then you'll press on them how you found the rental that has the hot tub that they'll be able to bring the hot young girls back to! ;)

• Author

Jesus Christ - You know, I am not exactly a terrible speller, there are WAY more grammatically inept people than me!

I do not talk like a majoy blue colar worker, some of those types that I know cannot even differentiate between THEIR and THERE. Or TOO and TO. REALLY - I am NOT proufoundly stupid and unable to express myself.

I am at least average for a 25 year old, in terms of my written ability. I just get angry at ignorant losers on here, who say things about my boyfriend not loving me because of threesomes ( which, I might add, I WOULD NEVER tell my co workers! I will keep my private life private, and I tend to me more of a listerner, in person.)

More over - I am often up very late when I am on loveshack, and have a keyboard that makes me re type every second word.

FRANKLY - if the fact that I am too lazy to go back and re type hundreds of words makes you think I am some drop kick who has no spelling or grammar skills - you REALLY need to go and have a look at people who truly CAN'T spell words - a lot of adults that are in stable positions, I have heard them speak, and they do not sound like the most eloquent or well spoken bunch.

I have grow up around stuck up, well educated snobs, actually. My mothers side - extreme right wing, that do not believe in government help to folk like me who have smoked drugs and want a second chance at life.

ANY way - I CAN mingle with people and get along with people who have a good vobabulary.

I CAN hold my own amongst " gasp" well educated people!:lmao:

So please. ENOUGH with the " your just not well written and spoken enough" to make it, when I will have to come into conact with " educated" people.

I AM ACTUALLY NOT STUPID. I did get 92% on my college entrance score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I CAN be around well educated people, and fit right in with the way that I speak!

And about facebook - I am not the type to post on facebook. I literally never post anything, unless it is groundbreaking news - such as, if I got a good travel sales job!

So - I most about once ervery few MONTHS; and I tend to be able to manage to "spell" a basic sentence, declaring things such as " I got as job"

I only post links to awesome and funny utube links on facebook! Or, funny aimal pictures, and things of that nature.

I cannot stand people who just post about how they " just ate a chicke and avocado sandwich and could sure go another one"... or " gee I am sick of people, wanna get outa here".

Trust me - I am not one of those people who cannot type properly and uttuer nonsense like ( and yes I know this due to be boyfriends facebook account and the people he has on it ) " putrid c8nts ***inn doing this n this and wanna get em" I mean REALLY - I AM BETTER THAN PEOPLE like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I find it damned offensive, that you people act like I need to go back to school just get get a handle on my spelling and grammar!

I might not be the worlds best writer, but I certainly am nto below AVERAGE - I certainly do not have a learning disibility!

My mother is an English teacher, and she has seen my essays, and she would KNOW if I was profoundly in need of tutoring.

I never got below average in any english essay in my life.

So, I just wanted to vent my frustration, and say that I am not a total drop kick who is well below average in english and writing. I know what those people are like - they cannot WRITE an essay, they cannot GET a job that involves ANY sort of writing.

........Now, regarding my focus; I KNOW what I want in life, very well. I DO NOT want to go for unskilled work, like hospility and retail; first of all, I am 25, and it is VERY VERY hard to GET a job in retail and hospitality - because they want younger people, and it is D AMN HARD to get a job in these industries!

There are hundreds of people in line for EVERY clothing shop job, or cafe job - I never get interviews most of the time.

It is about how you look in cafes, how young you are, and you only really get a look into retail at my age, if you have been a manager, or had a LOT of experience.

I have had a LOT of experience, but am tooo ld and not good looking about to get chosen above better looking, thinner, and still somewhat experiences younger women.

I CANNOT rely on retail and hospitality - and, I do not want to go and get my degree yet either!

It makes SENSE to focus on my passion for fitness and travel.

YES they are my passions in life. I am travel and fitness orientated - I have a qualifications in fitness, and now I want a quaification in travel sales, so I ca full try my BEST to get a job in either industry.

It is OBVIOUS that my best bet, at age 25, after messing up my life this far - is to build on my qualifications, such as travel sales - which will get me a full time, stable job, in a challenging industry that I can grow in.

I DO have direction, and I want to go down the travel sales route 110%. I am a peoples person, and have always observed since I was little, the way sales people in travel type stores act - the cheesy, happy attitude they always seam to have, yet without being cheesy in a bad way. I get a reliable sense of consistency every time I go into these places - because they obviously hire people who have solid people skills, and are very pleasant to deal with. I observe these things, and wil try to emulate them.

There is something very appealing about being in the presence of a person who is pepetually in a stable, happy mood when dealing with you. However I feel in my personal life, I really thrive off of being able to go out into the world, and distract myself by getting out if my OWN head, and being positive around others.

My ability to be positive around others, whilst facing inner termoil, is something I think will serve me well in this job.

Please, make no mistake - I am 100%^ focus on my goal. I am starting by looking for affordable, possible free help for my maths skills ( or lack there of)... I am more adept at learning languages, than I am at maths. i was average to good at maths growing up, but find it so utterly boring that I have never applied myself since after the age I could chose non math based subjects.

Unfortunately, I will need very basic math skills in travel sales, and my course offers extra help for free - which I will utilize.

I want a job in travel sales so much, that I am focused on the goal, and am prepared to do whatever it takes to be sucessful in it.

I have the personality and empathy and ability to sway people in my favour on my side - to appease and connect with most people.

Right now, I am going to just spend my free time reading travel blogs and going to travel forums. There is a cool site called "48 hours in" - insert city---------- so I can get a handle of the cost in each city ( expensive, mid ranged, or not - plus alternatives like good hostels) as well as know the main attractions in each city.

With sales, I am going to practice selling deals. IF I get through to the face ti face interview, I will practice selling packages in travel, to my mum, as she is my biggest supporter and will let me practice what I need to on her.

She is thrilled and thinks it is a great plan, to follow a passionate career path, while going to get my degree AFTER I have established another career path.

Your right, ast 25 I need to work, but I cannot get jobs easily in retail and hospitality - literally, once in every few MONTHS I will get an " interview". My resume's are all catered to speficic indistries and shops ( I state I am a personal trainer for sporting stores, that also has a passion for fashioj and retail, and have loads of experience in retail and am seeking a job like the one described in their shop)

Yet - I still rarely get interviews. They want younger, good looking people, who are studying, and even people like me, who cater the resume TO the specific job - even outlining the skills I have and how they will be transferable to the role - people like me do not eveb GET an interview 90% of the time!

Working in retail and hopsitality, which you do NOT NEED any skills or certificates to get into - IS NOT WHAT I SHOULD BE DOING.

I need to either

- study for my degree in social sciences, while working part time and studying part time

- or get a 6 month long diplome in travel sales, which will get me an admit/ sales driven type , reliable and solid full time job, in a area I AM passionate about.

- Still study and keep up to date with my personaltraining job, and go down that path if my sales career in travel does not take off, even after I do a certificate and a dilpoma in it.

....... settling for cr@pp retail and cafe work at age 25, and studying are not the only answers for me. I happen to think that having fitness AND travel sales as a means to an end, is a good path to go down.

I am trying shorter ways to gain a stable job, besides a DEGREE.

MOST people think I am being very sensible.

• Author

I mean, geez chaucer !!!!!!!1 You really think at age 25, that a retail and hospitality blue colar job, which any one can get without a qualification, is the best way to try and get back into work!!!!!11

Why not aim for a career? Why not aim for what I WANT in life? If I am not good enough at in a particular area, I am SURE I am capable of overcoming those obstacles!

I am not looking down on cafe work and retail - I am just saying that I do not think it is the best thing for me, to only focus on working in those jobs. I need to try to go for my dream job, and aim for something I WANT.

And, like I said, it would be IDEAL to have fitness and travel sales and admin based roles, to establish and then fall back on, when I get mhy degree at Uni one day.

Having only retail and cafe experience, getting a degree and then not finding work easily in my degree , = not travelling, having any money, and only being able to feed myself as a 30 year old. I NEED other paths to fall back on NOW.

And, travel ad fitness are areas I am least feel an affiation for.

Look, I have taken what you said into consideration, but I really think you had a tone of " well, just get a cafe job and do that for now and do not bother aiming higher for yourself, because frankly, you cannot even write a letter, your not smart enough to get a better career at this stage"

Also, you message reeks of " you do not know what you want, or what your so called " passions" are.

I have my passions from way back, from when I was a young child. I tried other things - I went down the fitness road first but fell ill, so I have naturally stayed clear of gyms since, and the food science and nutrition degree was boring, and if I go back to University, I would rather do a social sciences degree.

I have been interested in calories and fitness since I was 7, though, so personaltraining is a better option than retail or cafe work at this stage.

JANUARY - THANKS a lot for your advice. I am going to re read it and think about situations I can apply it in.

.............Reading your customers is a good idea, your not proposing I ask them " so, is there any special reason for your trip?" should I use my affable personality to try to coax things out of them? You know - build rapport, and then as " so..... anything special you want out of this trip?"

OR - just to read the person without specificall probing about their trip?

Can you give me an example of how you would read a person, and react accordingly, in a context of a travel sales deal?

What I am doing now, is a few flight centres have great manages - I rang Shane, a manager of a flight centre near where I live. He said he was happy to give me pointers and tips.

I am going to follow it up - he also asked me to send him my resume, so he can let me know if he has any jobs available, and can fwd it on to other flight centres.

I am going to email him asking

- can you give me an example how you you would sell a package, and summarize the process you go through?

I am going to ring every flight centre I can think of, in other states though, as I do not want to expose my efforts to the agents in the area I live in - I am going to just ring a lot of travel sales agents, and ask if they would mind giving me a few pointers, as i want to get into the industry.

I find most professionals are actually flattered and get a sense of pride, wheh a person askes for their gruidance.

• Author

oops - I spelt profoundly, as " proufoundly". Fkcin kepad.

The u is stuck dow half way onto the kayboard. Yes, I realise it LOOKS stupid, saying " gee I am not proufoundly stupid" :lmao: yikes!

But, I do know my spelling errors. At least it was a mistake and I actually know the correct spelling.

Oh - a lot of people working in jobs, full time jobs, cannot use " then" and " than" correctly.

Please do not overestimate my stupidity.

january2011

If you're using a computer with your customer and there is a lull in the conversation while you're waiting for something to load, I think that, "are you looking for anything special out of this trip?" would be a good start.

Checking out the words they use, the look on their face during the conversation and their body language could all give you big clues as to their mood. A very long time ago, I worked in tourism, but not quite travel, so can't give you any specifics as that was a couple of decades ago and I was very young.

You can also ask if they've been to the destination before, when, how did they find it, etc. Do they speak the language? If you've been to the destination too then you could share an anecdote. Just be chatty and light-hearted, but try not to be intrusive.

I don't know how long you'll have with each customer, so it's difficult to give you anything more specific. As you gain experience, you will learn the right questions to ask to elicit the responses that you need to help your customers. It's also worth shadowing/observing more experienced and successful colleagues - try their techniques and re-use the ones that work for you.

Mme. Chaucer

Leigh, you should not get so defensive about advice given to you that you ASKED for.

I am very familiar with people your age and what's "normal" for them, by the way. My daughter is 24 and will turn 25 next month. She hasn't finished college and I don't know whether she ever will. I was that age once myself.

I also used to be addicted to drugs, so I know all about needing a second chance at life.

I don't think you are stupid at all. I said you are UNDISCIPLINED and lack focus

I did not pick apart your grammar, spelling and organization of your thoughts, but I read your posts - and they are a mess, usually. They stand out. I think, since you like to post here, it would benefit you if you would take the time to make sure that all is correct and you're getting your thoughts across as you would wish to before hitting the "submit" button.

Having this skill (to double check your "work" and to edit / filter yourself) would benefit you in ANY job. And not having that skill will be a huge liability. Probably enough to hinder you from getting hired in almost any capacity.

• Author
Leigh, you should not get so defensive about advice given to you that you ASKED for.

I am very familiar with people your age and what's "normal" for them, by the way. My daughter is 24 and will turn 25 next month. She hasn't finished college and I don't know whether she ever will. I was that age once myself.

I also used to be addicted to drugs, so I know all about needing a second chance at life.

I don't think you are stupid at all. I said you are UNDISCIPLINED and lack focus

I did not pick apart your grammar, spelling and organization of your thoughts, but I read your posts - and they are a mess, usually. They stand out. I think, since you like to post here, it would benefit you if you would take the time to make sure that all is correct and you're getting your thoughts across as you would wish to before hitting the "submit" button.

Having this skill (to double check your "work" and to edit / filter yourself) would benefit you in ANY job. And not having that skill will be a huge liability. Probably enough to hinder you from getting hired in almost any capacity.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wanted you to crarify that you were not calling me stupid.

I know I am not disciplined. However, I am ambitious to do well at my life, in my own way. I am drive to achieve work in a field I am passionate about, and am not hell bent on cut throat business, however - and to be a business women or the like. I simply want to eat an average amount, so I can save and travel whilst living at home - and then after I travel for a while, I will then think more about getting a degree part time, while I work full time in PT or travel S.

I am focused now, more so then I ever am. I have bee in the process of deciding what direction I want to go in life. At first it was a degree ASAP, the it was personaltraining before getting the degree... Now I have decided to go one step further, to dip my foot in another field I care very much about - travel. The sales and admit based skills also also very transferable to other roles outside of travel.

I am relieved, and 100% certain to announce that; I know exactly what direction I want to go in in life. There is nothing else I would rather do, than what I have either fitness or travel sales.

One of them should work out, if I try my best. Then, once I work in the real world for a year or two in a solid, full time job - I will go back to college/Uni to get my long awaited degree.

I honestly thought I had more focus now then ever?

My mum and dad only want me to try my best and do what makes me happy. They have only ever asked of me, to do my best. I am sure you are the same with your daughter.

You do sound like a good mother.

And, tell me about secod chances - they are HARD to come by! I have an easy second chance - in that I can look for a job I truly want and go about the steps I need to achieve it ( a course, certificate or diploma or evebn a degree) and I can strive for my dream career WITHOUT " having" to work.

That said, I WANT to work! I want to work in a cr@ppy job, while I await my dream job. The luxuary for me, is that I do not pay rent at this stage, so I have WAY LESS STRESS!

• Author
If you're using a computer with your customer and there is a lull in the conversation while you're waiting for something to load, I think that, "are you looking for anything special out of this trip?" would be a good start.

Checking out the words they use, the look on their face during the conversation and their body language could all give you big clues as to their mood. A very long time ago, I worked in tourism, but not quite travel, so can't give you any specifics as that was a couple of decades ago and I was very young.

You can also ask if they've been to the destination before, when, how did they find it, etc. Do they speak the language? If you've been to the destination too then you could share an anecdote. Just be chatty and light-hearted, but try not to be intrusive.

I don't know how long you'll have with each customer, so it's difficult to give you anything more specific. As you gain experience, you will learn the right questions to ask to elicit the responses that you need to help your customers. It's also worth shadowing/observing more experienced and successful colleagues - try their techniques and re-use the ones that work for you.

Thanks so much, January, that all sounds like very good advise.

A good point, was to not blurt everything out at once, but to rather save things to say while your on the computer - or, better still, learn how to make useful, travel ad job related light hearted banter, to show them your really passionate about your job, and always have things to say about it.

WHat are some questions I could ask? Hmmmm.. What sounds good to me may come off as irrelevent or aloof.

Here is what I would ask.. ( bearing in mind I would have already asked about why they picked that destination and what they wanted to get out of it, as part of determining their needs and listening to them)

...................." leigh is sitting on computer typing andor retrieving information:D"

" so, you say you have been to _______ before, tell me, what did you enjoy about it, did anything stand out?"

"... wow that sounds nice, I am always looking for places to visit and will keep that in mind " ( reinforcing my love of travel, which is not even a lie, but it reinforces that I AM a passionate person in this job)

'' I am learning Spanish and I really want the chance to visit Spain and Latin America! Do you know the language? ( if they did, I would speak in Spanish, you know, have a few fun exchanges with them if they are keen to, but without taking it too far and distracting from my work)

Because I will know about their destination, due to my studying of places , I could say positive things about them, and the things I feel that particular perso or persons should not miss.

Also, I hope to read about " things that are not so well known" about places. Such as certain food haunts that are cheap but a must do.

I really think that having excellent product knowledge and constantly reading up on travel destinations, will be key. Then, I combine that with my ability to deal with people ( which will already be party established and I will also have to cultivate more).

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree that honesty is key. Good follow through, and an ability to pay attention to your customer and anticipate what they might need or want. Be bold about suggesting things without being pushy.