can't believe i blew this interview

I am a person of my word and I agreed to the interview and didn't feel I should reschedule it as it just would not be good but the night before and the day of the interview i was so very very sick.

i was up all night in severe pain and then came very close to passing out from a hypoglycaemic episode as i forgot to eat as i was in so much pain.

so with no sleep and i did try to prepare, i went to the interview and it was going well until they took out a sheet of paper with basic questions on them and the 2nd question, my mind went totally blank and i was feeling so sick and nauseated i couldn't think straight.

i went on and discussed the other questions somewhat ok i think.

i think their demeanour towards me changed after that. at first they were all gung ho for me and at the end i felt no so much.

so i get to the car and call my headhunter and told him i thought i majorly screwed up. it was already after 5pm but he was calling them to get feedback so i wouldn't be thinking about it all weekend. i guess they had already left so i have to wait until monday. he knows i am a perfectionist. he tried to calm me saying not to worry over one question but that is easier said than done.

maybe i should have rescheduled the interview but it just seemed unprofessional at my level to do something like that.

im really ready to get back to work. i've had 4 interviews in the past 2 weeks and 4 offers but turned them down and this job seems to be one i would have accepted too.

I am a person of my word and I agreed to the interview and didn't feel I should reschedule it as it just would not be good but the night before and the day of the interview i was so very very sick.

i was up all night in severe pain and then came very close to passing out from a hypoglycaemic episode as i forgot to eat as i was in so much pain.

so with no sleep and i did try to prepare, i went to the interview and it was going well until they took out a sheet of paper with basic questions on them and the 2nd question, my mind went totally blank and i was feeling so sick and nauseated i couldn't think straight.

i went on and discussed the other questions somewhat ok i think.

i think their demeanour towards me changed after that. at first they were all gung ho for me and at the end i felt no so much.

so i get to the car and call my headhunter and told him i thought i majorly screwed up. it was already after 5pm but he was calling them to get feedback so i wouldn't be thinking about it all weekend. i guess they had already left so i have to wait until monday. he knows i am a perfectionist. he tried to calm me saying not to worry over one question but that is easier said than done.

maybe i should have rescheduled the interview but it just seemed unprofessional at my level to do something like that.

im really ready to get back to work. i've had 4 interviews in the past 2 weeks and 4 offers but turned them down and this job seems to be one i would have accepted too.

Blown interviews are a part of the job hunting process. I've blown interviews before -- it happens. If there's a way you can convince them to take a look at you again, that's great, but if not, I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. You'll get another interview that you won't blow.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

It sounds like you had a real "episode" there during that interview. Likely they will make the mistake of passing you over. Life happens. As hard as you try sometimes, it is just beyond your control. Don't beat yourself up too much.

Instead, be proud of how determined you were to actually attempt the interview even with everything negative going against you. SERIOUSLY. I respect your determination. Reward and compliment yourself for being strong.

Ignore your failures, learn what you can, move on, and celebrate your strengths!