I've decided to update my LinkedIn and try to really use it as a job hunting tool. I signed up for one of the premium accounts and did the tutorials to help find a job.

Has anyone else done this with any success? Any additional advice?

Use a bunch of buzzwords like "social" and "sustainable" and you'll make 6 figures in no time !

(Based on my cousin, who's job is stupid as hell)

You should use LinkedIn...

We use it to hire from, either in their ads you buy or from the groups that our industry has.

We have two people here that came from LinkedIn Job postings that we bought and ran for 30 days.

Any advice.. make sure you belong to your industry groups as people post job postings in those threads and those never go out to other areas on linkedin.

• Like 1
january2011

Agree with the keywords advice and joining the right membership groups.

If you're up to it, I'd also suggest posting and/or starting threads in those groups so that you become a familiar 'face'. Asking for advice on job hunting for your geographical location, industry and level, is a good start.

I've received a few consultancy offers through LinkedIn. I don't know if they found me through a search or because of my anticipation in discussion groups. The latter definitely helped me expand my network.

• Author

Thanks for the advice everyone! What about when contacting people? I don't want to seem pushy, but would like to meet and discuss opportunities with people in organizations I want to work for.

You should use LinkedIn...

We use it to hire from, either in their ads you buy or from the groups that our industry has.

We have two people here that came from LinkedIn Job postings that we bought and ran for 30 days.

Any advice.. make sure you belong to your industry groups as people post job postings in those threads and those never go out to other areas on linkedin.

Maybe that's the ticket, since every job I find is awful.

Thanks for the advice everyone! What about when contacting people? I don't want to seem pushy, but would like to meet and discuss opportunities with people in organizations I want to work for.

Join the groups first so that you become seen as knowledgeable in the field and contribute to the discussions. When you apply for something, they'll go and look at what you've been doing on LinkedIn.

And of course make as many connections as you can, just to have them, not to find a job. Get the connections first and then LATER contact a connection to see if he (or one of his connections) will recommend you.

If you're seriously looking for a job, you should be spending a good hour on this a day, just firming up your connections and contributing to discussions.

Also, read up on filters. It's becoming common knowledge now that the filters throw out 95% of all applicants just based on the words in their resume (or words NOT in their resume, actually). A story on NPR the other day said that a man who was an executive at his company was frustrated cos HR wouldn't bring him anyone to interview. So he used his OWN resume to apply for the job he was trying to fill, in his OWN company, at which he was an executive, and even HE couldn't get past the filter.

So you really DO need to redo your resume for every single job, to include the right buzzwords from the job listing's description.

• Like 1
Maybe that's the ticket, since every job I find is awful.

It might help.. Linkedin in the last few years has become a great business tool for sales, jobs and even finding vendors.

Create a good profile and put your resume out there and start applying for some of the jobs that crop up.

Also, read up on filters. It's becoming common knowledge now that the filters throw out 95% of all applicants just based on the words in their resume (or words NOT in their resume, actually). A story on NPR the other day said that a man who was an executive at his company was frustrated cos HR wouldn't bring him anyone to interview. So he used his OWN resume to apply for the job he was trying to fill, in his OWN company, at which he was an executive, and even HE couldn't get past the filter.

I heard about that HR exec story recently...crazy stuff. These software filters are often ridiculous.

On topic...lots of good advice here, OP. I don't know if it's really worth it to have a premium account, though.

I think that almost every adult should have a LinkedIn profile. Last I heard, 60-70% of all jobs are obtained thru connections (usually knowing someone on the inside).

I don't know if it's really worth it to have a premium account, though.

Yes, I was wondering about that, too. What exactly does it give you compared to the regular account?

Just saw a bad typo in my post above, 'anticipation' should of course read 'participation' - that went a bit too quickly on my mobile.

Yeah, this is a useful thread. My problem with LinkedIn is that it's been overrun with blatant spammers and sketchy salespeople of all stripes. You know, the "establish new markets and communicate effectively" *********s. But if people are getting good results from the service, that's heartening for me to sweat it out.

Good looking out, FitChick - have you all changed your passwords lately?

kellerbrianw

I enjoy linkedin, as it has helped me grow in the business world. First, I've learned so much vital information from my online "peers" and numerous groups. Second, I've networked with business consultants, like me, both near and far. Also, I have been offered both jobs for my company and even a voice over gig (once they heard my voice).

If I can succeed on linkedin, there is no reason why you can't as well! :D