HeartOnSleeve

Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can give me some constructive advise. I have two part time employees who are great at their job! I am friendly with one of them and have seen or been out with her on a Saturday night before. I being the owner do not have to work that Sunday but she does and has always been on top of it when she has had to go in and still worked a full day appearing to not be hungover etc. So I didn't think twice. But all the tasks I had asked them both to complete were not done and they told me all day that it was slow and ended up leaving 2 hours early.

With that said, I was curious and watched our security tapes as I am entering their payroll for the last two weeks. Turns out the one part timer who I am "friends" with came in about an hour late and the other came in on time.

My dilemma....They both put the wrong times on their time sheets. The one girl who came in on time put 30 mins earlier and the other put the hour earlier.

Do I call them out and tell them I'm disappointed. I saw "friend" employee out on Saturday night and she didn't look too bad off, but I'm not her mother I'm her boss.

Thanks!!!

Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can give me some constructive advise. I have two part time employees who are great at their job! I am friendly with one of them and have seen or been out with her on a Saturday night before. I being the owner do not have to work that Sunday but she does and has always been on top of it when she has had to go in and still worked a full day appearing to not be hungover etc. So I didn't think twice. But all the tasks I had asked them both to complete were not done and they told me all day that it was slow and ended up leaving 2 hours early.

With that said, I was curious and watched our security tapes as I am entering their payroll for the last two weeks. Turns out the one part timer who I am "friends" with came in about an hour late and the other came in on time.

My dilemma....They both put the wrong times on their time sheets. The one girl who came in on time put 30 mins earlier and the other put the hour earlier.

Do I call them out and tell them I'm disappointed. I saw "friend" employee out on Saturday night and she didn't look too bad off, but I'm not her mother I'm her boss.

Thanks!!!

I am not telling you what to do here, but the way I see it, you have two issues here:

1) The work that you assigned them to do was not done.

2) You asked them why and they clearly lied to you.

In my opinion, it's really hard to work with people that you cannot trust. Assuming that they're getting paid by the hour, they have essentially stolen money from you already, as they are already claiming hours (and pay) that they are not entitled to. It only goes downhill from here, in my view. Lying about hours now could mean taking money from the till later. I would not call them out; I would take the keys. There are so many other people out there in this economy that *won't* do this to you. Why put up with 'friends' who will? Yes, it will be hard, but it was their decision to put you in this position, not yours.

Edited by Fugu
  • Like 1
  • Author
HeartOnSleeve

Thank you Fugu....I agree 100%. They haven't technically lied about it YET, but that is why I want to initiate a dialogue with each of them separately and let them know it's disappointing and as a reminder we have a freak'in video tape to prove it and monitor them if needed...which I do not want to waste my time doing in the first place and shouldn't have to!

I have checked other morning and nights that both have worked and they have both been on time. It's just so frustrating that they would "lie" about it and my business is too small to have issues like this especially when my mom and I have put our heart and soul into it.

Thank you

Thank you Fugu....I agree 100%. They haven't technically lied about it YET,

If they put hours on their time sheets that can be proven as false by security cameras -- assuming those cameras are accurate -- then they've falsified records at your expense. In fact, it's basically theft of company money. There are even laws that can provide civil and even criminal punishments for it in some states, though the states and their laws vary. I obviously would not see the point in going that far, but I would not keep someone around who does that.

If this is the first time and you have a good feeling about them, I suppose you could give them a warning. It's possible that just putting them on notice would solve the problem. BUt the problem with this is that there are other forms of dishonesty, some of which can cause a lot of headaches. Owning and operating a business is a major responsibility. You can't afford to have someone muck it up.

It would be tough to do (tougher to do than to write about on a message board, obviously), but I think I would just ask them not to come in anymore and find replacements. I would try to be civil. Maybe try to say something like "I know you're not a bad person, and I will try not to get in your way of future employment if an employer asks for a reference, but I think we should agree to go our separate ways." Leave it at that.

but that is why I want to initiate a dialogue with each of them separately and let them know it's disappointing and as a reminder we have a freak'in video tape to prove it and monitor them if needed...which I do not want to waste my time doing in the first place and shouldn't have to!

The only thing that would keep me from terminating them is knowing whether or not the tape is accurate. If you're certain it's accurate, then there's nothing left to talk about.

• Like 1

What is worse, they lied to you or they stole from you? Both are cause for dismissal. They lied and stole once, it will continue. If you in an "employe at will " state, you do not need to tell them why they are being fired. In fact, sometimes you are better not to tell them. And have someone wiht you as a witness. My girlfriend is the one who is a witness for me. I have also used my best friend, who was managed a large store. I would have the security camera evidence available. Depencding on what the soon

-to-be unemployed has done, you may give them the option of writing a "I quit" letter. They should handwrite in ink. Be forwarned, you cannot tell others about theft unless you prosecuted and won in a court of law.

My job application

"You have one chance to lie to me or a customer. I will then fire you."

"You hve one chance to steal from me or a customer. I will then fire you. "If we are out of town working, how you get home is your problem."

You may have a specific time requirement to pay the the last check. A certified letter, signature, return receipt is a good idea.

When you reach the firing point, you are not concerned about them, just your business.

My best employee, saw me fire people for lies. After a new employee was hired, Jon would take them aside and tell them not to lie. That, coming from a fellow employee was more effective than me telling them not to lie.

Next hire, don't see them socially.

Getting a job is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo difficult.

There are hundreds of resumes at every retail store.

It is great you will give both of your employers a good reference - very admirable.

They will have a easier time getting a new job, if they have some solid referee's.

That said - a lot of bosses would fire them; yet, it is dwon to the individual.

If they are really good employers, and you can see them excelling at their job- I would sit them down, and tell them " look, is is very hard to get a job these days, there are hundreds of people in line for this job, so you cannot afford to lie about your timesheets. You have to be on your best behaviour to keep this job from now on. ONE more lie and we will have to part ways.

What industry are you in? Retail? If it is a job in customer service - really, it comes down to friendly, people orientated types. If they are always smiling and in a great mood with the customers, and they are people that customers feel are friendly and easy to talk to - I would keeop them if they can do their job well, and are very friendly, personable staff.

That is just me. I know what it is like to have no job, and for no one to hire you.

I would want to help my staff keep their jobs; it is likely they know it is hard to get work, and will appreciate this job enough, to try really, REALLY hard to be better employers.

You may find they will strive to be even better, after you give them this warning.

Knowing how hard it is to get work, if I were them, and you gave me a warning, I would bend over BACKWARDS to be a great employee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, come on people.. I read the other replies now.... REally, stealing from her and lyng... Yes, bad offences, but I daving such a cut throat attitude - what if these employers really value their job, but had slow morning getting ready for work, and were late?

What if they want this job more than anything, and badly NEED it? If a person is serious about their job, yet make a mistake, I would give them a chance - if they love their job and are serious about it, and badly NEED the money - throwing them out on their butts, with no job, whe they could be struggling to pay the bills is not what I would do.

Throwing people away simply becausde they are wrong, does mtp gell with me - I take into account that people are normally struggling to feed themselves and pay rent, so treating people like they are disposable pieces of sh*t is just not what I am about.

I do not like the idea of going " yep, u lied and stole from me, your fired" is robotic and not in the best interest of helping the individual.

Plent of people who love their jobs have a late night and off days - wher they rock up late ad are too scared to tell you!

I would at least see if they are willing to bend over backwards to be model employers. I would give them a chance before just firing them - they might be ver greatful for the second chance.

... I just really hate the nasty attitude of people who are not into giving second chances. It's like " sorry, I do not care if I fire you and you go hungry.... too bad, your simply a number to me".

...............When the person could very well love their job, but have made s mistake that their HAPPY to compensate for - i.e, workig very hard to be better at their job.

oh, come on people.. I read the other replies now.... REally, stealing from her and lyng... Yes, bad offences, but I daving such a cut throat attitude - what if these employers really value their job, but had slow morning getting ready for work, and were late?

What is the limit on theft? If an employee steals from my company, either product or services, that means less profit for me. Less profit means less that I can share with other employees. Less profit means that I cannot lower my prices to remain competitive. That means I get less market share.

I caught an employee taking a used fire extinguisher off the shelf to put in his boat. The fx did not meet code, but the contents had a value. The employee was also going to use my service tag on the fx. That service tag meant I was liable if the fx was used on a fire and did not control the fire. There was not going to be an invoice, which meant in case of a fire, my liability insurance carrier would not pay a claim. Or if they did pay a claim, they would expect me to reimburse the claim. I almost fired the employee on the spot. I did not. Later I found he was claiming hours worked, but he was home. On the payroll, but not producing any income for the company. He does not work for me anymore.

You have to draw the line someplace. Which lies and which thefts are OK? Is a $5.00 theft OK? How about a $500.00 theft. If it is OK to steal $5.00 from the company, is it OK to steal $5.00 from another employees purse? How about shortchanging a customer $5.00?

Leigh 87, are you an employee or business owner.

What is the limit on theft? If an employee steals from my company, either product or services, that means less profit for me. Less profit means less that I can share with other employees. Less profit means that I cannot lower my prices to remain competitive. That means I get less market share.

I caught an employee taking a used fire extinguisher off the shelf to put in his boat. The fx did not meet code, but the contents had a value. The employee was also going to use my service tag on the fx. That service tag meant I was liable if the fx was used on a fire and did not control the fire. There was not going to be an invoice, which meant in case of a fire, my liability insurance carrier would not pay a claim. Or if they did pay a claim, they would expect me to reimburse the claim. I almost fired the employee on the spot. I did not. Later I found he was claiming hours worked, but he was home. On the payroll, but not producing any income for the company. He does not work for me anymore.

You have to draw the line someplace. Which lies and which thefts are OK? Is a $5.00 theft OK? How about a $500.00 theft. If it is OK to steal $5.00 from the company, is it OK to steal $5.00 from another employees purse? How about shortchanging a customer $5.00?

Leigh 87, are you an employee or business owner.

............He stole that for his boat? I would have probably fired him. I am very empathetic, starting out in business less jaded, I probably would have let him plead his case. Or fired him. It is telling, in terms of what he might do in the future.

It is just hard. I know what it is like for NO ONE, not even retial and hospitality roles that do not even require that you have AY qualifications - even those jobs are VERY hard to get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TO fire a person right away - without considering how hard it will be for them to find new work, and wheather that will be kicked out of their house or not - isgut wretching.

I would be on the street if it were not for my parents. Or, living in a one room flat in filthy conditions, eating baked beans for 3 meals a day. If that.

I KNOW how important work must be, and I would actually sit down and try to have a honest conversation with the employer.

I would actually say to them " look, be honest, how much do youw at to keep this job? If you desperately need to pay rent an this job is protecting you from living on the streets, than I care about your well being, and would like to give you a chance to do well at this job.

If they were not beding over backwards, trying to save their job, I would gather that they were not all that into the job, and take it for granted, enough for them to steal things and lie about their time worked.

I would give them a chance to plead for their job - I would not fire a person who would go without meals due to me firing them....If a person is THAT desperate, they would gladly, try to be EXCELLENT at their job;)