I need of friendly, non judgmental people. This is my LIFE.

Hi. I need help and support for my predicament.

This is desperately important to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I REALLY NEED your help and opinions, around the current issues I am having, and the desisions I should make.

First things first:

I DO plan on going to Uni, but I live at home in a nice flat, my parents are over seas most of the time, and I live close to the town centre and transport.

I wanted to get a low skilled job, such as at a Cafe or in Retail, and save for a year or two, and then spend a few months travelling efore I settle down in a full time degree/study program.

Obviously, my idea of adventure is back backing, which is cheaper and can be done for months on end.

My plan WAS:

- work in a low skilled job for a year or two, and travel for a few months with my partner. We are both travel orientated and want to do that before settling down and getting more skills, for a more decent paying job.

We both live at home in very nice houses. We want to travel why we are still in our 20's, and then work hard once we have seen more of the world.

- We absolutely want to have our own houses, but we both did not apply ourselves in school, and want to travel before we knucklwe down and study or get qualifications.

-living at home simply allows us to travel, IF we find low payig jobs, before we settle down and study or get skills ( he will never study, he prefers labour intesive work, and driving various types of machinery)

He loves learning things like Spanish, and watching the science channel and other documentaries. Learning through set study is not his thing, although he is very interested in learning about various things.

Why I think I could save enough to travel for a few months:

- I live at home rent free ( and thank my parents daily for it, I am beyond lucky, very few people get this benifit)

- I have become a vegetarian. Canned beans daily instead of meat saves SO much money, and I still love my diet. It is not drudgery whatsoever, although I would eat more meat for health reasons if I did NOT have to save.

- I do not go out on weekends, and instead go to the beach, chat to the people I know, and do things for free , that are fun and makes my life fulfilling enough.

Additional ways I plan on making money before I get my degree

- I have personal training qualifications, but need to get in better shape myself, and brush up on my skills, before working as one.

- I have no doubt I iwll get a personal training job if I try hard enough, but am not sure WHEN.

- Personal training is my passion, and I also ejoy the other cafe work and customer service orientated jobs.

- I will also do BAR WORK on weekend nights IF I can get that work too.

I just wanted to stay at home, save in a basic job, and travel for a few months with my boyfriend, and then settle down into a 3 - 4 year degree. I am not the type to study full time and work full time. It would either be study or work full time; a;though during my degree, I would work on weekends, if possible.

It seams like I will not be able to get eveb a basic job. I really fear that! I went for an interview the other day. It DID go well - I did have an amiable, good discussion with the interview -ee. Honestly, in the past my assessment of interviews has been SPOT O N. Yet, I did NOT GET THIS JOB.

It was a very basic job, just selling products to hospitality companies. I had a good interview, and yet lost out on the job. She interviews less than 10 people. Perhaps 5 or 6 at the most.

Other helpful options:

- my parets have agreed to held fund a shorter course, rather than Uni, to increase my chances of employment. The government does not really fund courses around here, unless you already HAVE a job guaranteed.

- A certificate in business admin, or hospitality or retail management, MIGHT get me a job faster than having NO quaifications. Although they tend to hire people who they know, are great llooking, and/or have loads of experience.

IS going to Uni for a few years the ONLY way for me? It just really seams like I will not even be able to get a basic job, just for one bloody year, just to save before my degree:(

I have not tried at personal training, but I know I will be great at it. I have been over weight, and under weight, and am very friendly and good with people.

• Author

Please help, this is my life we are talking about here.

And only friendly, non judgmental people reply. I do not have time and will delete people who justs say mean things, and who do not like me on here.

I have not tried that hard to look yet for low skilled jobs, but I have been looking, and we look harder.

I will try the Persoal training thing out - they run development courses at fitness First, a huge chain, and once your good enough, they let you put a program together for a trainer there, and assess if your ready to start as a trainer.

I am going to go along to these sessions, and proove to them I am good enough. I know I can be in the end, all I need is the knowldge and ability to do the job, which I know is in me.

So. I have yet to apply for bars or personal training gigs yet, but know there is a market for personal trainers out there ( albiet, it is still very hard to get a job opportunity, I am sure of it)

Besides from bar work, if it is available, and personal training - I have gotten trails in cafes before and they loved me at the last one, but I am 25 and too old - they admitted the staff loved me and I was great, but they could hire 17 year olds for half the price.

• Author

UPDATE: My parents have paid for a bar and gaming course. I would b e thrilleed if i can work nights, or even only weekends!!!!!

I am losing weight and wanting to get in shape and have not enough money to spend on nights out any way, so I would be very willing and happy to work as many nights as possible.

So... Bar work and personal training will be the qualifications I have.

I will give myself from now, until the end of the year to get employment. If I cannot even get a job at a bar, not even in the main city ( I live an hour away from the big city), then I guess getting a degree is the only option.

There are other cerficiated too, such as in child care, which I would love' however, these certificates are about two years, and I would rather get a degree which only takes 3 or four years.

Fingers crossed some work comes up. People say I have a good personality, in terms of emlpoyers or interviewers warming to me, so if I do not get a job, I will know it is not because I am a totally hopeless character, in the way I act socially.

Keep on trying. You can be too smart for some jobs as well - and since people who are overqualified / too smart tend to move to greener pastures, that might be a reason you have not gotten the job you interviewed for. Employers know that.

Cutting expenses. That applies to both yourself and your partner. You can save a lot of money that way.

Other than that, keep exploring your options. You could go the alternate route: go to uni, get a degree and do some contract work. You'll be making much more money. You'll be a bit older when you travel then, but unless you intend on having 12 kids with your boyfriend, that should not really be a problem.

• Author

THANKS so much for the positive outlook.

Well, I will have a bar and gaming certification by next week. I have that, and a personal training certificate.

By the end of the year, if I make it a full time job looking for work, I SHOULD..... SHOULD get a bar OR personal training gig. Getting a bar job at nights, and a PT gig during the day would be. Just . AWESOME.

I got high scores to gain entrance into University, but am too passionate about travelling and pack packing and seeing people from around the world, to be tied down to studying full time.

My high scores will get me into most degrees, anything under 93%.

It just feels a little annoying that I stuffed my life up and do not have my degree my 25. You know - it has takenb me a good while to accept the way my life had turned out.

So. Bar work and personal training. I will give myself about a year of non stop trying to get a job. If all else fails, my boyfriend said he would not be able to leave me just because I go to Uni. Although if he did - than I would be okay ( albiet heart broken at first).

Also it may help to create a budget with regards to your travel plans. Even backpacking can become quite expensive. Sleeping arrangements, food, travel, will be the biggest cost posts. Insurance is also something that should not be forgotten.

There is always the risk of freak expenditure, or finding yourself in the position that your passport gets stolen. Which is not much of a problem if you are traveling in a small country, but it gets a bit tedious if the nearest consulate is 500 miles from where you are.

Once you know how much money you'd need, saving for this trip will be much easier. Because you can set yourself a goal like: I need to save so many dollars a month to get there.

Mme. Chaucer

Leigh,

You do tend to overthink and over analyze things, and it seems to get you kind of stuck.

I believe that you are a little "behind" your age peers with regards to your work experience. You probably have little or no work experience, right? I'm not judging you for that; in fact, my daughter is in the same boat. It is going to be something you'll have to overcome, though. You'll need to really stay on task with the job interviews and searches, every day, without letting the ones that don't work out get in your way.

What about starting out working in a gym or spa in a different capacity than personal trainer, like a receptionist?

Anyway, keep at it and don't go down those rabbit holes you seem to end up in with overthinking stuff. You don't want to end up still living in your parents house, not working and not traveling but talking about it, next year at this time.

Did you start your therapy on the 11th?

• Like 1

As long as you have a plan, you can do anything in the world you want to do. I don't recommend just waking up each morning and doing whatever you feel like doing that day - you'll just wake up when you're 50 having wasted your life.

But you don't seem on that course, so who cares in what order you do things? I recommend giving yourself a 5-year plan, a 2-year plan, a 1-year plan, and a 6-month plan. Set them up and determine what you need to do to achieve each one; start with the 5-year first because some things have to be set in motion far ahead of time. For instance, if you're going to go to uni in 3 years and get a 2-year degree, check with uni and see if there are any prerequisites you'll need to get in. Add those things to your 2-year plan to get going. And so on.

Once you have all that worked out, such as the bar training, set it in motion and then start living the life you want to live. And fwiw, you don't HAVE to have a degree to be happy, not if you don't intend to expect a lot of expensive things.

My DD21 will be getting a PhD (but she's taking a year off next summer when she gets her bachelor of science to do internships and get a break), and we've made it clear that I expect her to put HALF of her income into a savings account, once she starts making a living. As long as you can live on half your income, you can live a great life and always have a safety net.

UpwardForward

Leigh, I only read your first post, not the following ones.

Since you appear to be so zealous for travel/back packing at this time, I don't know that you could sufficiently apply yourself in your studies.

Furthermore, there seems to be a possibility that through your world travels - you may discover new priorities for your major - or life interest.

• Author

I have been to my therapist, thanks for asking:)

She basically thinks that, although I have had an at times, disfunctional family relationshiop, that I just need to, for the first time in my life, find a job, do it well, make friends in ym new area - you know. Things I have yet o achieve, that are normal, and things a social and friendly girl like me NEEDS to do,. Just get a job, get friends, be normal... That would be lovely, and she thinks that is what I need to work towards.

No major therapy methods have been applied in that first sessio, she really thinks I am find and very self aware - and need to just be a normal adult, doing the usual sh*t; without doing it, i am insecure and crave friends and a job and to save money and to feel momentum and purpose in life.

When I am insecure about not having those things, I bring my relationship with my partner down.

When I am active, healthy, and ina good place, I NEVER cause issues. I already like who I am on a basic level, I just do not think I can be a great version OF myself, without working or having friends. I am a social girl and would do much better being my true self - and as a person, I need to work, and I need to be more social. In fact, few people can really sit around not working, and be happy with it!

Thanks for all the kind responses - I am extremely greatful to my lovely parents, for letting me have a lovely apartment. As a former mentally ill person, who is getting much better and is at a very finctional level in society - it is MUCH easier for me to turn my life around in the comfort of a very nice flat. Without them, it would be truly hellish for me to make a second start at life, after messing up school and what not.

The good news, I guess, is: I did go back to school and get an entrance score into a degree. The score was quiet high, therefore at I CAN always go back into Uni to get a degree, and there is a higher chance I will get it into it; rather than if I was just a working adult who applied for a degree.

I have options and a wonderful situation - my own nice flat, and my partners mansion with 4 adorable dogs who I love very much. I have not worked for these lovely places, that lovely large house and the land around it... I am really lucky, I guess I should stop sterssing about not getting a job.

At the very worst, I will be a student again if I cannot gain employment within a year of trying constantly. I love being a student, but would have to say goodbye to my partner and let him travel and follow his passion. I would find love again but be very heart broken. I am not even sure he could leave me.

I guess if I try really hard to find bar work - I will find it! Surely, I am guessing that I will find it within ONE year? And the personal training thing will happen if I read about it constantly and update my knowledge and committ to learning about it.

.... Actually, I have let my body go and therefore it depresses me to read about working out. LOL. But, the more I run daily, and the better I feel, the more I will get back into studying for the personal training gig again.

And - it is VERY VERY hard to find a receptionist job. You need a lot of prior experiece - they hire people with prior experience iN EVERY JOB you go for.

They do not call you in for an interview, if you apply for a reception job, and have no prior experience in it.

I am going to apply for such jobs, and just lie, and explain I have had those jobs. I am not scared of the worst outcome - that Ia m fired fo rbeing incompetent - because if I try my butt off and am confident and willing to bend over bacwards - why can't it turn out great, without experience? If I keep the job and become great at it, who cares if I lie to get the interview, and then job?

I have a great resume - but I have had to LIE about a lot of jobs. It looks like, for hospitalitya nd retail - that I have had a tone of jobs and experience, and when I have gotten the job I have pulled it off, so who cares?

If I told the truth - that i was mentally ill, and could not hold down my pants much less a job - and have no references and no more than a year altogether of work experience - I WOULD NEVER. GET. A JOB.

So - my resume is awesome, it looks like I have loads of experience, because I need to get a look in and GEt the job. I am great at that sort of job, and have no doubt I would fall short. It is only ****ing retail and hospitality. Hard work, but not rocket science.

I want to get a job so badly, that of course, my resume is great but is lies, because I think I actually am great for the jobs I apply for, but due to fBcking up my adult life ealier on, why should I have to miss out on jobs because I have no experience and my resume would NEVER be picked over others?

In a degree job, it is rare that you could lie, and I would not want to.. just for the retail and basic cafe work, I see no reason why I should not lie a little, when I think I could do a great job. And have done.

Apparently, I am good at selling myself, I just need to meet the right employers at the right time.

Again - it totally SUCKS that I am in my mid 20's, without my degree like I had planned. It is sooooo h ard to get easier jobs.

.... May I ask; is it THAT much easie rto get a degree job, opposed to a cafe or retail position? I have talked to people with degrees who cannot bloody FIND work. Yet, I know BOTH are hard, depending o the degree too.

• Author

I was/ am a little scared, that even livig at home rent free, that I will STILL not be able to travel, until I go and get a degree job, or get very lucky and get an opportunity for personaltraining - becoming very sucesful in my own business.

After getting rejected from the last interview - when I THOUGHT I had it - and it being a VERY SIMPLE POSITION WITH NO PAPER WORK - I just thougth " ****, maybe I will never get a low skilled job,because I am too old at 25, and there are SO many people going for the job"

I did not want to have to go back and study, because I thought there would be a good chance of getting a low skilled job for now.

• Author
As long as you have a plan, you can do anything in the world you want to do. I don't recommend just waking up each morning and doing whatever you feel like doing that day - you'll just wake up when you're 50 having wasted your life.

But you don't seem on that course, so who cares in what order you do things? I recommend giving yourself a 5-year plan, a 2-year plan, a 1-year plan, and a 6-month plan. Set them up and determine what you need to do to achieve each one; start with the 5-year first because some things have to be set in motion far ahead of time. For instance, if you're going to go to uni in 3 years and get a 2-year degree, check with uni and see if there are any prerequisites you'll need to get in. Add those things to your 2-year plan to get going. And so on.

Once you have all that worked out, such as the bar training, set it in motion and then start living the life you want to live. And fwiw, you don't HAVE to have a degree to be happy, not if you don't intend to expect a lot of expensive things.

My DD21 will be getting a PhD (but she's taking a year off next summer when she gets her bachelor of science to do internships and get a break), and we've made it clear that I expect her to put HALF of her income into a savings account, once she starts making a living. As long as you can live on half your income, you can live a great life and always have a safety net.

Thanks, that is great advice, I will definately put half my money into saving. Honestly, simple steps like not going out and drinking with friends often, and saving it to special occasions, and also giving up meat most of the time - is really effective!

A person from school is getting their PHD. I thought I was potentially as clever as they are, my capacity to learn anyway. A degree is by no means a marker of intelligence; it means your clever on one level, but people without a degree can obviously be brilliant too. I am far from brilliant, academically speaking ( as some posters have so eloquently put it o this and another website), but I am clever enough. I am strong in some areas, bad in others. I am at least average. And I am good at listening articulating myself most of the time, and expressing myself in my own ways. I am smart enough to get a degree, but if that were the reason I needed one - as a marker of my self worth - it would be the wrong reason to get a degree. Obviously.

I have a plan. I tend to have set plans and goals; to gain employment thruogh bar work and PTing, and still look for any cafe, hospitality, or retail work as of NOW.

To work, save, and travel.

To go back to University if this does not happen in a year or so,of me trying very hard. My best.

In regards to waking up every day - mann, I rather miss the feeling of waking up and wanting to go back to sleep! However, it is far better than waking up with no job. It is utterly.. depressing, to wake up and BE ABLE to do anything!@

If I were mega rich, I would wake up late. HELL YES. But, I would work for charity daily, go sky diving, and do rock climbing and pay for other new active things I would do every day.

I HATE waking up, sitting around, and not working. I am not megga rich, so ther other purpose is WORK.

Trust me. I know waking up ad being able to do anything SUCKS. And, really, you CAN'T do "anything". YOu have no money! Yay, going to the grocery store to buy food. The only activity you can afford. NOt the miost fun life, for an advernturous spirit like myself.

If I were you, I'd just settle for working a crappy job like whatever you guys have akin to a fast-food restaurant for a year or so, and focus on being an adult and having fun. Use this time to grow up. I always tell my DD21 that she just needs to live life like a poor young adult - it's good for you! Figure out how to share expenses with your friends. Sacrifice. Enjoy having to be a cheapskate for awhile. Drive a crappy car. And backpack across Europe and see what happens.

There's a show here called Tough Love New Orleans (VH1) and there's a 25 year old who's a virgin, never had a boyfriend, and kept rejecting guys the show start set her up with cos she didn't get the 'spark' with them. This 'spark' is what she 'read about' on what love was supposed to be - as she'd never even dated. Well, Steve got her to give a guy a second (and third) chance, and now they're really liking each other.

Anyway, Steve sent them home with these dates to meet the girls' families. And you could tell that this girl had been VERY sheltered, NEVER taken any chances and, once this guy got her to start doing that, you could just see her growing up before your eyes. Great thing to watch.

Now, as for backpacing, I'd check with your therapist first. I don't know what your issues are, so you want to make sure you'll be ok. But definitely start living life and working a crappy job and taking chances. That's how you grow up.

When I turned 18, my mom moved away and I had to get a job and an apartment. And I had just taken out a loan on a car. I remember going to the cheap grocery store with this little 'clicker' that added things up (this before computers were even around, lol). I had $30 in my budget to able to spend on food for each month. I literally had to click up all the stuff I bought to make sure it didn't go over the $30 I had in my wallet. I treated myself one time a week with a meal out. Mostly, I ate rice every day. Tough living, but it made me who I am.

• Author

I know I want to back pack - with just me and my back pack, not knowing where I will go to next, or who with.

I am on the process of learnig languages - Spanish and French. It is what I am passionate about doing in my life. As well as sky diving and bring active in trying new physical challenges - such as rock climbing and then going travelling and being able to scale a decent mountain on my travels, with like minded people.

Obviously, I have dreams. That may or may not be attainable - it is actually very hard to Get a cr@ppy job! seriously! That is what my thread was about; what if I cannot GET a crapppy job!!!!!!>????????????

Living on rice wow, I am sure your glad you went through it though, I am glad I have been through what I have, although it was not a picnic at the time!

UpwardForward

You could think of the kind of work you want to get into, start at the bottom and work your way up.

When I was starting out, I found it easy to advance - even with job hoping.

Getting your foot in the door to any job, can help build your confidence to better than it is now. At least breaking the fear.

Living on rice wow, I am sure your glad you went through it though, I am glad I have been through what I have, although it was not a picnic at the time!
No, it wasn't! But I'd much rather have gone through that than to be people I know who've never had to watch their pennies, who take everything for granted.

As for jobs...be creative. Offer to wash dogs. Or walk them. Or wash cars. Or weed someone's yard. It's a hard time to get a job just through applications. My DD21 went through the same thing, but she ended up walking door to door, to about 100 different stores and restaurants, asking to speak to the manager, and THAT is what got her a job.

If languages are what you're passionate about, study the possibilities. Start small in some field that uses languages etc. Apply oversees. Join your version of the Peace Corps. Teach English or whatever your language is to kids in another country for a job. Be creative.

Mme. Chaucer

Re: your therapy, I'm not sure that "intensive therapy tecniques" or anything like that is what you really need (from what I know of you from right here, which is VERY limited so take my POV with a grain or a mountain of salt). Seems like you need someone to check in with you on a regular basis, to coach you, to help you sort things out and to stay on course. I hop your therapist will provide those things for you and that you keep going even if you don't think you need it or want it.

• Author
Re: your therapy, I'm not sure that "intensive therapy tecniques" or anything like that is what you really need (from what I know of you from right here, which is VERY limited so take my POV with a grain or a mountain of salt). Seems like you need someone to check in with you on a regular basis, to coach you, to help you sort things out and to stay on course. I hop your therapist will provide those things for you and that you keep going even if you don't think you need it or want it.

Haha, that is exactly what she does! I have seen her before, last year several times. She is basically a person I come and talk to - update and check in with, telling her my progress. Getting her perspective.

She told me a method once...to not let my thoughts, dictate my actions, which will alter how I then feel.

So.. If I am upset I am heavier than usual - I do not let that effect my actions, which in turn alters my mood. I forgot the order of that method oops! But you know what I mean - she just is there to listen to a adult rebuild her life, and tries to be there for me as a sounding board - who also can offer effective ways to cope.

At first, I thought ****, man, I am clearly messed up, my dad could get abusive but he was and is a lovely man and yet was pushed by me, a totally uot of control and unruly teenage, almost getting expelled from an expensive all girls school, refusing to do homework or apply her self in school despite having high intelligence in some areas.... I was so out of control, he took to hitting me once or twice.... a handful of times in my entire life, and it sickened him. He has SEVERE heart diseas and is a VERY SICK MAN. He has never hit anyoe before, and itbroke hsi heart being pushed to the brink. It was not him - it was being pushed that far. I was pretty effed up and ... unbearable to be arou.nd when I was a teenage. MY father is not ab abusive man, not with anyoe in his life before me.

I thought mannnn I am effed up, HELP ME! LOL. Yet, she seams to think that i recovered from an eating disorder - u know, a healthy weight, higher than I ever expected to be, yet I am totally okay with it, and have no risk of relapse. I got there alone, bt it took a few years. I only haqd anorexia for a year or sos, then just an ED. So, I have bettered myself from my drug taking and anorexic days, enough to function in society, and I am too self aware to NOT know when I stuff up, socially or otherwise - I always know what I do wrong, and stop doing those things as much, and hopefully at all soon!

I thought help meeee I need HELP, clearly I am insane! But no - I am just an adult that has doe vry well in improving myself thus far, and now just needs to get off their butt and look for work harder, and forge friendships. A lot of people tend to like me, I just get lazy with asking for their numbers and ever follow anything up, the rare times I go out for a drink with my boyfriend.

So, no intensive therapy for me yet. Oh yay.

Edited by Leigh 87
  • Author

I KNOW WHAT I WANT TO DO IN LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!

I have thought long and hard over the last few years: from a food science degree and becoming a nutritionist, to owning a fashion store.

Now, I have two options, that will not take as long as a degree, and will enable me to get a job ASAP int he process, because I will not have the committment of full time study:

- I am going to get a job as a personaltrainer

- AND, another job I am PASSIONATE about getting, is becoming a travel agent!

Learning languages, and travel are the things in life I have become passionate about, as an adult.

I have the drive and passion, and it is my dream career, and I have thought a lot about it.

It means I DO NOT have to get a degree, to get a dream job. I CAN go and get a degree later on, but in the meanwhile, I have ANOTHER option, that WILL NOT TAKE AS LONG as getting a degree.

I am going to save up and do a tourism or travel type of course, which will probably take a year at the most.

I will go on and get a diploma and further my skills as much as possible.

So, there you have it; without gettig a degree, I have TWO jobs I am PASSIONATE about.

It will be very hard to get a job, it is for a lot of people, and they are both saught after jobs, however; when there is a will, there is a way.

Steps:

- I am going to throw myself ito learning Spanish and French

- save up for and do a tourism type course and keep furthering my qualificatios

- sed out my resume out to all travel agencies - there are literally thousands - in Sydney, which is an hour train ride, but has a lot of opportunities

UpwardForward

I would think computer skills are important in the travel business. You could get good training if you could manage to have enough computer skills to start out working for a travel agency.

You could work and school in your off hours.

• Author
You can spend the two hours on the train reading and studying. Glad you figured it out.

Was that supposed to be condescending?

... I do not want to get a degree, work full time, and spend all my spare time studying. For 3 - 4 years. Yuck. I like learning, but not in the structured studying way ALL the time, every day, in ALL my spare time. Bar one hour a day to work out or actually talk to m partner.

If you mean that I need to catch a train out of town in general, so I ca immerse myself in my studies then, then great, that is what I intend on doing!

I plan to learn Spanish and French on the train, and read a little, and then go back to my learnings to revise and recite the words I learn and remember that day.

ANOTHER BREAKTHROUGH:

Although people on here think I am oh so terrible with my spelling and grammar, there is a two week course that enables you to teach small children English, in a foreign country, for one year.

The teaching pays for your stay abroad, so you just get to live and work in another country for a year.

Travel and leanring languages is of my passions in my adult life. And, I am only teaching small kids english - I KNOW the difference betwee their/there/they're, and I am not a complete dumb@rse , regardless of the fact a lot of people on here think I am.

I did get a high distinction when I studied linguistics, and I am able to write essays and conduct basic english lessons to children - I have taught English to kids in Hong Kong before, for a year or so. Although, not on this contract, just in my free time when I lived there with my parents.

Teaching english in a European country is on my agenda, I very much would like to live abroad for a year, learn their language, and get to know a different part of the world and it's people.

They do train you, and they would tell me if I was ' the total moron" that some mean people on this website cite me to be.. at english.

of course, I am aiming for shorter term goals for now -

- getting into a travel agency/ travel sales course

- on my personaltraining ( I have to get into shape before I train people, I have a small gut)

- and in the meanwhile, I need to look for any low skilled, retail or cafe/hospitality based positions I can GET.

• Author
I would think computer skills are important in the travel business. You could get good training if you could manage to have enough computer skills to start out working for a travel agency.

You could work and school in your off hours.

I would get lessons for the computer side of things. I type extremely fast, but need to work on my spelling and grammar; yet, you just need to be fast at USING the computer, I should imagine. I can always get further computer skills - training, which will help be in all types of jobs.

I am at least of average intelligence, and therefore can learn what I do not know, fast enough to get a job in the industry, if I have every other skill BUT that.

About school and work- I refuse to study and work full time. I live in a flat that is paid for, therefore why would I want to give up my free time to study?

I study hard - when I study full time, there is not much else I do!

Heck, when I studied PART time, I felt the need to study most of the time, just to make sure I got the best possible marks.

As long as I got an hour a day to work out, I guess I could study part time and work full time.

I am going to look into doing an ONLINE course, whilst I look for full time work.

An online travel sales course would be IDEAL, and I am going to look into that.

It seams like a good way to work full time or as much as possible, and still improve my chances to get a job in a travel agency.