I want to tell my Co-Worker to shut up

georgejungle

Every Monday morning, My Co-Worker loves to tell me all about his kid's Little League Baseball adventures and wins and losses. Don't mention anything about sports either, he'll go off on a tangent about sports if you let him.

I don't watch sports. He knows this. He doesn't seem to care.

In the past i've humored him and I'd listen even though I really don't care about baseball and hell... i'm a caring person... I don't mind hearing stories about his kids, but man Oh Man, i'm so sick of hearing it now.

He never seems to get the hint when I'm super busy. If i've cut him off and said that I really need to take care of my work, he'll wait till it's quiet again in the office then come back and finish his stories.

I KNOW he doesn't have many outside friends so He likes to gush about his kids or shoot the crap, i'm symapathetic to that. I'm a nice guy, i get along with everyone...

But he really can't take any hints and Its really testing my patience. 8 years is too much, ha

What do I do?

january2011

Put up your hand and say, "Let me stop you there. I'm not interested in sport. Let's talk about something else."

Or you might wish to cushion it in a jokey way by saying, "Mr Co-worker, I think it's great that you're so involved in your kid's life, but I'm not interested in sport at all so it's really difficult for me to listen when you talk about this. Can we please talk about something else, otherwise, I'm going to have to avoid you, and we wouldn't want that, would we?" - give him your best wink and smile.

If he doesn't take the hint, you might have to be a bit rude and actually walk away with a "sorry, got to go." Or request a desk move if his talk is affecting your work - because you are there to work and not provide emotional support to this co-worker.

• Like 1