Diversifying if you're a freelancer/contract worker

RiverRunning

I've worked from home and I've been doing so for a few years. I've been writing for tons of content mills for years. My primary job right now is doing search engine evaluation. Every day, I spend at least half an hour researching other companies out there. If any particular one goes BOOM, my paycheck is safe at least for a while.

What are your tips for 'diversifying?' Where do you usually look (I look at the Real Ways to Earn Money Online blog)? How many clients or jobs do you need at one time to feel 'secure' in the event that one jump suddenly shuts down?

I was one of the writers for Demand Studios when they purged a bunch of writers last year, and I hear that the ship is continuing to sink.

I'm signed up and ready to write for at least 10 different writing sites...all with varying rates of pay. I feel fairly secure. If nothing else, I can return to substitute teaching in my area at any time.

I've thought about returning to school and getting certification in teaching, just because it would open up so many more work-at-home jobs (I could more easily become an ESL teacher or tutor working from home or online. And, well, I could, you know...teach).