Do you work from home?

More and more people work from home these days, even if it's only a day or two per week. I think a lot more jobs could be done from home but aren't, due to habit and tradition. Bonus -- less traffic!

I might find it a bit too distracting. How do you stay focused? Do you set aside certain "office hours" to work? Do you have a room that is your home office? Do you bother getting dressed? Do you feel isolated?

I sort of did when I was into stock trading. I made a fortune doing it but I like getting up and leaving the house every morning.

I work from home for myself. Won't go back into the corporate environment the way the culture is today, nor will I ever hire any employees, only independent contractors.

How do you stay focused?

Pretty easy. Lose focus and the machine takes a body part off. Fear is a good impetus to focus

Do you set aside certain "office hours" to work?

Nope. Work whenever, 24/7, whatever needs to be done. When done working, I walk a couple hundred feet to the house

Do you have a room that is your home office?
I have a separate shop building about twice the size of the house and a separate office building for the shop.

Do you bother getting dressed?
It ain't fun welding while naked.
Do you feel isolated?

The cat hangs out and customers stop by once in awhile. When I need a social life I head into town to do maintenance on my rental properties. Easy to meet people that way. Heading to a customer and do to that after typing this.

• Like 2
trippi1432

My company lets us work from home one day a week..sometimes that gets split to half days twice a week due to meetings. I would say for those with small children, it can be distracting and have heard some at the office complain along those lines. I don't feel cut off from my work or feel that I have to be in the office for "face time" to save my reputation...that speaks for itself. I do some meetings from home via conference call, but come in for very important ones that require presence in addition to contribution.

It does call for discipline...TV off....social networks off...etc, but I typically reserve tedious tasks for home (data analysis, writing presentations, documentation). I went to school online for so many years, so I probably have a better concept of how to cut down the distractions and have better discipline. And yes, the option of not having to dress up for work is wonderful...if I could wear my PJ's to work, I would. Oh, the looks though...LOL!! ;)

SarahRose
I sort of did when I was into stock trading. I made a fortune doing it but I like getting up and leaving the house every morning.

I have a couple of questions. Did you do this just for yourself or for others?

How much would you say you need to get started? Cheers.

I did some freelance work for a time, but not sure if it was long enough to actually count.

It was bloody freakin' AWESOME. You can work whenever you want as long as you get the job done. No nodding off post-lunch while you force yourself to stay up to appear productive when you really aren't. No hauling yourself out of bed at 6am. No corporate dress rules, no trying to maintain concentration through all the people around you and requisite meetings etc. Just you, your work, and the freedom to choose when, how, and where you do it.

Sadly, the pay really sucked. :p

As for staying focused... don't you think it's easier to be focused when you're in the quiet of your own home and there are no colleagues talking to you or around you? How did you study in your college days? It's pretty much the same thing. Sure, things like FB can distract you if you let them (and sometimes a break isn't really a bad thing), but most people I know surf the web and such while in the office anyway.

Edited by Elswyth
I have a couple of questions. Did you do this just for yourself or for others?

How much would you say you need to get started? Cheers.

For myself. My uncle is a financial genius and got me into. I just invested 100 dollars the first time and then I watched it grow. I never did it as a full time job but I certainly made good money.

• Like 1
DuchessKaye

Being an online advertiser. I work at home.

But when meeting clients, I meet them outside (coffee shop or restaurant)

I can work anytime of the day ;)

I have another computer room in my apartment where I usually work but if I don't feel like getting up from my bed, I'll just work on my laptop with my pajamas on :o

I'm such an unprofessional employee :mad:

but has always been told that I'm the most efficient worker in my company :p

Edited by DuchessKaye
  • Author
For myself. My uncle is a financial genius and got me into. I just invested 100 dollars the first time and then I watched it grow. I never did it as a full time job but I certainly made good money.

I assume this was before the stockmarket crashed.

I currently work in what we call the sitting room but really it is a study, I suppose.

I can work from a variety of bases dotted around the County also and any building owned by the Council (some sweet talking is still necessary, which can be tiring)

We have other bases too for our other business ventures and own a shop which really doesn't bring in much income.. it's more a community thing for the elderly.

I don't mind working from a base or home as long as I am managing my own work. Don't like micro management techniques. It is not for me and I would rather make a better way for myself than be subject to that bs.

Don't feel lonely due to being a loner by nature.

Take care,

Eve x

I assume this was before the stockmarket crashed.

Yes but luckily I made enough to pay off my house so I have no mortgage.

Art_Critic

I take my work home sometimes.. does that count ? :laugh:

I can do some of my job functions from home.. mostly I do that at night or on the weekends but for the most part I have to be present at work..

We do have some employees that on occasion take their work home but the workplace has much more powerful computers and render farms that it makes working at home hard for some of them.

RiverRunning

I'm a contractor. I'm a search engine evaluator for a company that handles some of Google's marketing stuff, but that contract expires in late August. I can renew it in November.

I'm also a freelance writer...generating tons of stuff for writing sites all over the place.

I'm working on a novel that I'm hoping to self-publish through the Kindle store later this year.

I'm also working on a work-at-home blog with reviews of all of the sites/companies I've worked for over the years.

I've never had trouble working from home. I hear from others that I'm one of those few who are very internally motivated. Every then and again I'm the type to need a buddy to work out with, but usually I have that motivation on my own. The same is true of work.

I hated, hated, HATED having bosses. Maybe it's because the last boss I had (oh...3 years ago?) seemed to go out of her way to make me look like an idiot. Customers would come by, I would begin answering...boss would cut me off and finish the explanation, reciting everything I had just said. Maybe it was because she was bored (this wasn't in retail, BTW), but it mostly just seemed to make me look incompetent.

Boss I had before her was psycho - he'd explode in fits of rage after being in a very good mood all day over something minor, like an employee forgetting to say, "Have a good day!" to a client or something on the way out. Never again!

I'm actually the opposite. I would love not to have to get up and leave the house every morning.

• Like 1
SarahRose

For any of you working from home, do any of you currently net over $100k a year consistently?

DuchessKaye
For any of you working from home, do any of you currently net over $100k a year consistently?

Mine's $180K to $220K...

I think it depends with the kind of job they're doing.

Why do you ask?

SarahRose
Mine's $180K to $220K...

I think it depends with the kind of job they're doing.

Why do you ask?

You are 23. Sorry, but I really don't believe that.

Edited by SarahRose
no reason
  • Like 2
Professor X

Was it day trading or just some lucky investments?

Yeah, me neither. I usually try to take posts at face value, but if she were genuinely a 23-y-o who made nearly 20k/month working from home, I would most likely have heard of her, because it is enough of a rarity to make news. It also does not gel with the rest of her posts. :)

• Like 1

Are we talking about being self-employed, or just having he option to work from home in a regular position at a company?

If its the latter, more and more companies in my industry offer that option, and I could probably arrange it at least part time at my job, if I tried hard enough.

It would be sweet, and i think i would be more productive working on my own schedule. But my concern would be visibility. Common sense tells me people who are around all the time and appear to be capable, are muh more likely to be considered for promotions, than someone diligently churning out work in the background.

Edited by spookie
crazylove
I've found an on-line job that earns me a very good quantity. Maybe I could quit from my day job once I got a little more earnings than now, this will happen into a two or three months period, but I am planning not to quit from my job, even if I would earn as twice as it just because I would feel very bored working at my house. I think I am too used to get up early, to go to and back my job place and to chat a little with my colleagues while I am having a break. I think I can't leave those things, so I won't.

If you don't mind my asking...what type of work do you do from home?

I might find it a bit too distracting. How do you stay focused? Do you set aside certain "office hours" to work? Do you have a room that is your home office? Do you bother getting dressed? Do you feel isolated?

Everyone at home, if you have people at home, have to understand that while you are at work, you are at work. "I just look like I'm here, I'm really working".

It afforded me a lot of freedom and I got more done, but it's not for everyone. This was a full time telecommute btw, not 1 day a week. If you are doing part time the additional complications of having multiple workspaces to keep in sync apply.

I've done that too, if that's an issue I can suggest a few things.

I did, by quite a lot, and that was 15 years ago.

DuchessKaye

Yeah, me neither. I usually try to take posts at face value, but if she were genuinely a 23-y-o who made nearly 20k/month working from home, I would most likely have heard of her, because it is enough of a rarity to make news. It also does not gel with the rest of her posts. :)

I barely saw this posts.

I work on Sales. Cars and Real Estate.

Running websites and online ads on Car Selling.

Been doin this since I was 18.

Mom was a broker and when she retired, she had to get me and take her position on the real estate.

This gives me commission depends on the sales amount.

Dad owns a big veggies and fruit plantation, I'm also the one taking care of sales audit.

Oh yeah, being a 23 year old earning that much is unbelievable.

And I think, if I didn't have any back ups, it is really possible to get all these jobs that I only need to do at home... ;)