Difficult Co-workers

So i recently started my new job around 6 weeks ago.

I am also stil lwithin a probabtionary period, which suxs.

I have worked the last 18 days straight for them.

Last night a co-worker who joined at the same time as me showed his true colours and is now causing my work to be helish.

I told him a few things in confidence nothing massivly important but it was ovious i didnt want the whole world to know my buisness.

Next thing i find out he in a matter of minutes has told the whole staff, and its now resulting in a lot of "Ribbing" going on.

So it turns out he is not trustworthy, shame, not a massive issue.

Next thing im forced to worked along side him, no big deal im an adult.

We are also working with a brand new -new start. So were training him as we work.

The new-start had an item intended for a different department, now instead of him dumping it and running which is the norm, i suggested he organise it in with the other items for that department instead, you know help to be helpfull.

The co-worker takes the item from the new start and dumps it at the other department, then proceeds to tell the other department the following

"X said to the new guy to not put it in your area because you would NOT work it"

Not what i had said at all. I did not find out he had said this untill over an hour later somone from that department comes up to me RAGING telling me how everything in his department is always worked.

I express shock to him about why he had approached me as i was unaware or the previous twisting of words.

At the end of his rager i informed him that was NOT what was said and i would never imply anyone does or does not work there department to the full.

We both confront the Co-worker and inquire about why he said that at which point he denies twisting my words at all, little brat.

It should be pointed out this co-worker is only around 17/18.

So now i have the joys of tryin to break into a team that now believes i talk about them behind there backs ect.

Superb.

Any advice on how to aproach this?

january2011

Diarise every incident. Speak to your line manager and ask to be transferred to a different team/department.

Your co-worker is immature, inexperienced and duplicitous. However, he's learned that when you throw excrement, some of it sticks - unfortunately.

If you don't receive any support, escalate it to HR.

Otherwise, plan B is to look for another job.