After a long time of being unhappy in my job, I walked out last week without another job to go to. Things had been getting progressively worse and it was taking a toll on my mental health. I wasn't sleeping and my anxiety was going through the roof. It got to the point where the thought of going to work made me want to throw up.

So I took a leap of faith and walked out.

It was a high pressure sales management job, and in the recent months my company cut out our bonus structure and asked us to take pay cuts. Despite this, the work load increased, and as the firings started happening I found myself saddled with the work left from those positions.

The environment just became increasingly more toxic- the bullying constant. It wasn't a work day if someone wasn't screaming at me, threatening to fire me (apparantly that's a motivator).:mad: Sundays were my only designated day off, but I would work from home doing admin work for 4-5 hours. It just became unbearable.

I took this past week, went to Florida with my family, and just relaxed.

I realized that being uncertain about my future was less stressful than having my current job. I have saved a couple months of emergency money and spent the last week revamping my resume and sending it out from the beach.

I want to get into a completely different line of work, and I've got 6 weeks to figure out what that work is going to be. I've been waiting for an apple to drop on my lap for some time now- but it finally hit me last week as my boss was screaming at me, that I have to go out and find the apple, not wait for it to find me.

So, here I sit, unemployed, yet strangely calm and perfectly okay with my decision.

All that being said- can anyone draw me a map to the nearest apple tree?:p

• Like 8
threebyfate

D, for what it's worth, I think you did the right thing. No job is worth your emotional health where the abuse is intolerable.

Can't imagine with your qualifications, that it will take long to find another job, particularly with the rapid turnover in retail.

You'll be fine! :bunny:

Feelin Frisky

Congratulations on making a tough decision, come what may. If a job becomes nothing but being threatened for the simple right to do it tit all over again the next day, it's a matter of life or death to stay or walk. I hope fortune is kind to you moving forward. For now enjoy the smell of the coffee.

It's good to eliminate the negative in order to allow room for new adventures and the possibility of positives!

Ask for positive energy and opportunities to come to you - do this each morning and several times a day.

Thinking positive thoughts bring positive actions and new opportunities!

You'll do great! In the meantime take any and all odd jobs that anyone has - ask friends if they even need you for a day or for a project I do this even though I have a full time job. I enjoy the change of different types of work and projects. It gets me into different businesses and exposure to new opportunities.

Don't rule anything out! ;-)

• Author
D, for what it's worth, I think you did the right thing. No job is worth your emotional health where the abuse is intolerable.

Can't imagine with your qualifications, that it will take long to find another job, particularly with the rapid turnover in retail.

You'll be fine! :bunny:

Thanks TBF, I won't go back into retail, I'll live in a cardboard box and eat out of trash cans before I do that again:eek::lmao:.

I have my counselling background to fall back on, so I was thinking of maybe getting into some sort of sales training position. Before I left my job, there was talk of making me a national sales trainer as my stores were the only ones turning a profit (and they weren't when I inherited them). You'd think that reality would have made me valuable to them, but I didn't experience recognition for that- because nothing was ever good enough. I got tired of waiting for them to put a package together for me.

It's funny how as soon as I quit, my boss called and offered me a big raise to stay. Too little, far too late.

Congratulations on making a tough decision, come what may. If a job becomes nothing but being threatened for the simple right to do it tit all over again the next day, it's a matter of life or death to stay or walk. I hope fortune is kind to you moving forward. For now enjoy the smell of the coffee.

I enjoyed the smell of coffee mixed with salt water and suntan lotion, that's for sure Frisky!:rolleyes:

The job started going south last October, the bullying became unbearable. If I had it in me, I'd have a case for a lawsuit. The company is already caught up in several lawsuits for unlawful firing and harassment across the country.

My immediate boss got fired 2 weeks ago, and once she was gone, all of her work was shifted to me. Double work, no compensation, financial incentives removed, and no buffer.

I got told I was replaceable every single day "YOU'RE F***ING REPLACEABLE, NEVER FORGET THAT". That's no way to run an organization. Everytime my phone rang I would go into panic attack mode.

The corporate managing style was archaic.

I want to get into a completely different line of work, and I've got 6 weeks to figure out what that work is going to be. I've been waiting for an apple to drop on my lap for some time now

Not sure how helpful I can be because I never switched careers completely. But I wanted to tell you that I've been there too. I completely loathed my last job and left on a leap of faith too. For me, I asked myself what I didn't like about the position I had and what I actually wanted.

For ex, I want to stay in science, I want to do marketing but I don't want to make sales. I want to interact with customers but I don't want to be stuck in a tech support role. I still don't know what title I am looking for but for now, I've finally decided that a large company isn't for me and that I should look at start-ups in my line of work. I decided on a few factors that are "must-haves" and only apply for roles which allows those.

There's probably some sort of assessment available online that you can answer and figure out what kind of work you should be looking for.

It sounded horrendous and very harmful to you. You did the right thing. I'm sure something will come along and that this was meant to be.

I'm glad you're out of that place. It sounded like a nightmare. I had been making plans last year on my own departure from my company, but things have turned around and I have decided that enjoying life was far more important than climbing the corporate ranks. And the bullying where I'm at has decreased due to a new, more sensitive boss.

I'm sure you'll find something. Even if you have to do something intermediary until you figure out where you want to land. Do you have an idea of what you want to do? I know before you mentioned possibly going back to school but I forget what for.

I will say, I am envious that you have time to breathe and relax a little. I'd love to take a year sabbatical right now and move to Hawaii and surf all day long. :)

Don't worry. For every door that closes, many open.

I used to hate my job as well, but stayed for 2.5 years because it was close to my college. After completing my studies, I worked for another 6 months believing it was okay and pulled the trigger in jumping jobs.

Never settle in life, when you deserve the best. My ex-coworkers used to complain about how crappy their job was, but still stayed for 10 years+.

dreamingoftigers
Thanks TBF, I won't go back into retail, I'll live in a cardboard box and eat out of trash cans before I do that again:eek::lmao:.

Well if it comes down to that, I'll tell you some spots where the pay is better and no one will bother you :) I guess in your area of the country collecting bottles doesn't turn a profit, so that's out LOL.

It's funny how as soon as I quit, my boss called and offered me a big raise to stay. Too little, far too late.

No, there is no buying a ticket to abuse employees. It kills productivity as well. Dumb dumb idea. Glad to hear that you didn't take it.

The job started going south last October, the bullying became unbearable. If I had it in me, I'd have a case for a lawsuit. The company is already caught up in several lawsuits for unlawful firing and harassment across the country.

I am so so curious what company it is. Women's apparel? Right? Doubt it's anywhere I shop anyways but so curious what company is jerky.

My immediate boss got fired 2 weeks ago, and once she was gone, all of her work was shifted to me. Double work, no compensation, financial incentives

removed, and no buffer.

Was that dismissal fair?

I got told I was replaceable every single day "YOU'RE F***ING REPLACEABLE, NEVER FORGET THAT". That's no way to run an organization. Everytime my phone rang I would go into panic attack mode.

The corporate managing style was archaic.

Sounds like the company will plummet anyways. I watched Lewiscraft go down under the same circumstances. I wanted to watch every store burn after I left there.

If it is any consolation, I walked out of my job at the end of February. Even knowing I have a chequered work history (moved around a lot), being unemployed was healthier than the stress the job provided.

After a few weeks of doing nothing, I've been blanketing my resume and had four interviews today alone - one from LinkedIn (new to me!).

I am encouraged and don't believe I will be unemployed for long.

Here's the best to you!

Mme. Chaucer

You are courageous and I believe that you absolutely did the right thing for yourself under those circumstances. Can't wait to hear what is next for you.

• Author
Sounds like the company will plummet anyways. I watched Lewiscraft go down under the same circumstances. I wanted to watch every store burn after I left there.

I wasn't privy to the details of the firings, only know that there were ongoing legal proceedings. Given my experience, anyone could have a case for harassment.

I don't know how, in this day and age, companies or people think that ruling with an iron fist, using fear as a motivator will keep people productive. I was constantly told that if I became a less supportive boss and switched to someone my stores feared- that my sales would increase even more.

It was a wretchid company to work for.

UpwardForward

I would think you may or may not find the apple with another job. But that's not to keep you from taking a tolerable job when the money runs out.

The counseling sounds wonderful, even if you have to beef it up with some current classes.

Think upon what you really want to do, what would make you happy in the morning. Register your 'fictitious name' statement with the county, and pass out business cards.

• Author
I would think you may or may not find the apple with another job. But that's not to keep you from taking a tolerable job when the money runs out.

The counseling sounds wonderful, even if you have to beef it up with some current classes.

Think upon what you really want to do, what would make you happy in the morning. Register your 'fictitious name' statement with the county, and pass out business cards.

I'm actually going back into business for myself. I'm going to start up a dog walking business in my neighbourhood. I'm just applying for the permits and insurance so it's legitimate, and I'm working on a website.

I have dogs of my own and have been paying an arm and a leg for someone to come in and walk them... If I could take on 10 clients a day (which would be easy), I'd make close to what I was slaving it out in my high stress position I just walked away from.

• Like 5
  • Author
You can walk our Dog D-lish..

An Alaskan Malamute... when can you be here ? :laugh:

If I leave now, I should be there by the weekend:p

It's another leap of faith though- the start up cost isn't a lot, but it's enough that it shaves off a week of financial comfort for me:eek:

I need to find me some dawgs.

Wish you lived near me in Phoenix, AZ, we really need a dog-walker and the pup needs one too! Unfortunately, time and arthritis have marched on and make it impossible for either SWMBO or I to walk him....

I'm wondering how he'd react to being walked from a mobility scooter?

If I leave now, I should be there by the weekend:p

It's another leap of faith though- the start up cost isn't a lot, but it's enough that it shaves off a week of financial comfort for me:eek:

I need to find me some dawgs.

DL-

Target senior communities! Put out fliers!

They generally can't get out enough and some do pay for walkers to come in several times a week or even every day!

Usually their dogs are their top priority!

• Like 1

Ooh, and also offer a dog WASHING service! My mom was in a senior community, but she had cats, but I saw tons of dogs there. And I know my mom couldn't clean out the cat box any more so we had to do it. I can imagine all the people who can't give their dogs baths (or clean the cat boxes).

A little late to this thread as I don't stop by the ol' LS as often as I used to, but yay! I applaud you in you taking this step in your life/career.

I did something similar four years ago and quit my job. I've been managing to work for myself since. It's not always easy, but totally satisfying and I'm much happier. You're brave. Not many people can go through with this decision, and I know you're going to do great! :)

• Like 1
UpwardForward

Keeping your 1/2 sheet flyers or bus cards on you and passing them out esp. when someone expresses interest. And wearing a t-shirt or sign advertising your service, while you're walking your own dogs.