Job interview/application - How big of an advantage is it being referred?

I recently went on a job interview. It is for a position I really want and I think the interview went well. The company has an employee referral program and I was referred by a current employee for this position. That employee is a former colleague and I'm sure has given me a great reference but has only been at their current position for <6 months.

I am competing against only 1 other candidate. We are equal in professional experience (none, both are finishing up our degree programs). I have 1 degree level above the other candidate although I'm not sure this is an advantage or disadvantage (job description says they would prefer either, both are above the "minimal requirements" and they've hired both for the position previously, but it may be a disadvantage if they feel I will require more pay or "jump ship" sooner). My availability is also more flexible, as I am pretty much done with my program and available immediately while the other candidate is not available for another few months (but the company knows that, so it must not be a huge deal). Although the hiring manager has expressed they are pretty understaffed at the moment, I'm not sure a 1-2 month difference means that much.

The above is all I know for certain. The reason I know so much about the other candidate is, unfortunately, I know who it is and it is a very good friend of mine. My friend also knows I am the other candidate. It's awkward! But it will be fair. My friend also knows the former colleague who referred me, although my friend did not use the inside referral (but could probably get it if desired). I have never seen my friend interview so I don't know about that aspect. My interview skills are pretty solid (I think) and I made a great impression on all the interviewers.

So, really the only differences that make me stand out on paper are the referral and a higher degree. How much of a leg up is it to have the referral, let's say at your company??

At my company, referrals generally only referenced, AFTER the candidate has interviewed. Essentially, the company needs to know that you are capable of the job. I am a hiring manager for my division, and I do like referral candidates, as long as the person who is making the referral is a solid employee, and the person they are referring can bring real value.

In tie-breaker instances, I have seen referrals carry weight :) Good Luck!

My experience is the exact opposite of Blackfrost's. IME, a referral definitely helps get you in the door for an interview, but the "referral power" stops there.

My experience is the exact opposite of Blackfrost's. IME, a referral definitely helps get you in the door for an interview, but the "referral power" stops there.

This is my experience as well.

Let me clarify why mine is so different then both of yours. I work for a very well known movie/media company, that lots of people try to find ways to become employed at (I could tell some crazy stories about what some people will do, to try to get discovered).

Bottom line, if your working portfolio is not at the top of the pack, no referral is ever going to get you in the door - unless maybe it's an unpaid intern - and even that's hard to get.

So, if you can get in the door, because your work is of professional caliber and you interview well, then, a referral will definitely be in your favor, because it means that someone can vouch for your accountability/reliability. That goes a long way in my business, where all of us have had experiences with people who are willing to lie, cheat, and steal other peoples work to try to get in the door.

• Like 1
Let me clarify why mine is so different then both of yours. I work for a very well known movie/media company, that lots of people try to find ways to become employed at (I could tell some crazy stories about what some people will do, to try to get discovered).

Bottom line, if your working portfolio is not at the top of the pack, no referral is ever going to get you in the door - unless maybe it's an unpaid intern - and even that's hard to get.

So, if you can get in the door, because your work is of professional caliber and you interview well, then, a referral will definitely be in your favor, because it means that someone can vouch for your accountability/reliability. That goes a long way in my business, where all of us have had experiences with people who are willing to lie, cheat, and steal other peoples work to try to get in the door.

Well, that makes sense. I understand fields with a portfolio of that nature being different.

I think it is a big advantage to have a referral. Although the referral won't help with you interview, it will help you get the interview in the first place. I also know that some companies give incentives to their employees who provide referrals for good candidates. So if you and the other interviewee have very close profiles and both interviewed equally well, I think the referral may well give you the edge. Although it may give you the edge, you don't know how well the other interviewee did so it by no means guarantees you got the job.

• Like 1

Refferals are good only if the person refering you is good for the company. When I get an employee who says oh hire my friend I know him I question it because why of course would this friend be the best person for the job. I have heard stories of phrat boys giving each other wonder stories.

It's out of your control. The referal is most likely only an advantage to you. Don't sweat it and do your best and ask your referal for advice if you think it will help.

Ditto for me. It helps to have a good resume but the referral helps in making the first or second cut.

Referrals are good only depending on the person referring you, no company is going to hire a referral when the referral is not a good employee.

In general, the referral is an advantage to you. Ask your referal for advice if you think it will help and what kind of interview questions will they ask.

While you are at it, learn more about the company and do not count on your referral's laurels.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I agree with the posts above. Getting a referral from an employee will often help get you the interview, but doesn't guarantee you get the job. My company does put extra weight on a personal referral, especially if it comes from a senior person.

Sounds like you had a good interview....good luck!!!!

Job-worker, aye? Good luck with that. It's all in who you know. If you know Jack Squat, a referral is the least of your concerns.

I recently went on a job interview. It is for a position I really want and I think the interview went well. The company has an employee referral program and I was referred by a current employee for this position. That employee is a former colleague and I'm sure has given me a great reference but has only been at their current position for <6 months.

I am competing against only 1 other candidate. We are equal in professional experience (none, both are finishing up our degree programs). I have 1 degree level above the other candidate although I'm not sure this is an advantage or disadvantage (job description says they would prefer either, both are above the "minimal requirements" and they've hired both for the position previously, but it may be a disadvantage if they feel I will require more pay or "jump ship" sooner). My availability is also more flexible, as I am pretty much done with my program and available immediately while the other candidate is not available for another few months (but the company knows that, so it must not be a huge deal). Although the hiring manager has expressed they are pretty understaffed at the moment, I'm not sure a 1-2 month difference means that much.

The above is all I know for certain. The reason I know so much about the other candidate is, unfortunately, I know who it is and it is a very good friend of mine. My friend also knows I am the other candidate. It's awkward! But it will be fair. My friend also knows the former colleague who referred me, although my friend did not use the inside referral (but could probably get it if desired). I have never seen my friend interview so I don't know about that aspect. My interview skills are pretty solid (I think) and I made a great impression on all the interviewers.

So, really the only differences that make me stand out on paper are the referral and a higher degree. How much of a leg up is it to have the referral, let's say at your company??

In my company very little.