I am feeling lost.....

Hello, and thanks to all who read. I apologize in advance for the lengthy reading.

To start from the beginning: I will be 34 tomorrow, have a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, and really have no idea of what I want to do career-wise for the rest of my life. Right now, I am in a career that I kind of "fell into" by chance. I was in mortgage for some time, but when the bottom dropped out, I got out of it as that career had little stability (not know what you are going to make from month to month). So, I became a low level HR Assistant, and then an HR Representative. In the middle of this, I got married and have two young children. I was then laid off from my HR Rep job, and was forced to take a temp position in a training administrative role. I was really good at my job, and became an instructional designer (e-learning).

After 2 years of doing this, I was put into a position where I was basically forced to find another job due to a hostile work environment. I found a job that I am in now that I am underqualified for that does not make me very happy at all. Almost everyone here has advanced level degrees in what I do, and I do not. I feel extremely insecure, have an 80 mile roundtrip commute to work, and have about 2-3 hours of free time at home before it's up and doing the same thing all over again.

The people here are decent. I just don't feel comfortable in an extremely formal environment at the high level I am at right now. I haven't slept much all week and am running on fumes...

At home, my wife doesn't care if she or I is happy at work or not, and I do. I won't say she is unsupportive, but she comes from a background where there was little money so needless to say, she is beyond thrilled I have this job. However, I am not. She is telling me to stick it out. I know I can do this job, I just know it will not make me happy. I am a hands on person and I am now sitting 30000 ft out. I am stuck and I don't know what to do. Please feel free to ask questions for more information as I realize in my frantic state this may have been a bit disorderly.

Philosoraptor

Start looking for other employment opportunities but don't tell anyone at your current job. Once you have been offered something you'd like to do, take it. Keep your wife involved and stress that you will not be leaving your current job until you have secured another.

• Author

Thank you for your response. I don't think my wife will be very happy with me if I leave this high paying job so suddenly but I really do not know what else to do.

Philosoraptor
Thank you for your response. I don't think my wife will be very happy with me if I leave this high paying job so suddenly but I really do not know what else to do.

Communication. Explain to her your strategy and that you are very unhappy with your current position. Tell her you will not put the family in danger and will not leave until you've found a suitable replacement.

• Author

Fair enough.

The larger question I have looming is how to figure out what I want to do. I have been adrift at sea really, never knowing quite what I want to do. I have always worked hard and wanted to work hard for good managers.

I feel in today's world I need an advanced (or even relevant) degree in my field of choice.

So I guess my biggest question is how do I really go about finding what I want to do? I know that I can pick up and do just about any job (because I have in the past) but I haven't really found any passion for anything I have been doing.

Philosoraptor

Well that's your journey. If you haven't a clue what you'd like to do then you are lacking direction. Until you find that direction, and you're still unhappy... I'd at least try to find something around the same salary that is closer to home.

• Author
Well that's your journey. If you haven't a clue what you'd like to do then you are lacking direction. Until you find that direction, and you're still unhappy... I'd at least try to find something around the same salary that is closer to home.

I think you have hit the nail on head. My life never really has had any direction. I was always just seeking temporary happiness/contentment. I have just sort of drifted aimlessly along.

I think you have hit the nail on head. My life never really has had any direction. I was always just seeking temporary happiness/contentment. I have just sort of drifted aimlessly along.

Have you thought about getting professional career guidance?