A couple of articles about interpersonal relationships.

Thanks for the articles. I see a lot of relevance, especially in work-related interactions in my field, which is decidedly blue-collar and often 'rough', as I imagine yours is as an electrical contractor.

For myself, the biggest challenge has been re-writing what I call 'the bully tapes' which are emotional memories of getting beaten to a bloody pulp as a child/young man. At a certain point in disagreements, if/when an opponent shifts the focus from the topic and takes it personal, I tend to see red and look for a way to eliminate the threat that I'm perceiving, based on those past tapes. That's decidedly unhealthy and the results can be illegal. Therapy helped some but it's still there tugging at certain moments. I get the sense that some people react with fear, even though I make no overt moves, ostensibly because they may not be used to their behaviors eliciting such a strong response. This is also why I tend to be very measured when disagreeing and respectful of another person's perspective; I know first-hand where it can end up.

From reading your past threads, it sounds like you're actively working on growing close relationships and have some clear mandates in mind for how to do that. Good for you. I hope it works out. Thanks for sharing.

• 4 weeks later...