Look for a new job or stick it out?

I just graduated college (late in life) in August. I got a low paying entry level paper pushing job in October. Its just what I wanted to pay my dues with. Do the work, no dealing with money, or angry customers. The idea being to excel at this job, and get promoted, of course. Ive impressed my superiors by learning the job quickly.

My gf, on the other hand, used to be a medical assistant. After not landing a job in that field for the last couple years, a friend of hers offered her a just as low a paying job doing customer service phones for a big furniture chain. She started in July, and she is getting a second promotion in a week, to supervisor of a few guys in the warehouse- with a significant raise. She is bi-lingual, and I know that helps, but what really put her over the top is that her fellow customer service reps are unmotivated screwups. So she easily shined to her superiors.

Now Im panicking. Her new position isnt glamorous, but after a year or so as a supervisor, she can take that title anywhere and move up the ranks, because she will always do a good job.

My office isnt too big, and there isnt a fast turnaround. People at my spot do their jobs well, and are pretty solid in their positions. And, any movement is pretty much horizontal, as theres only two big supervisors. And they handle too much for me to even come close to getting a position like theirs. So now my job is starting to look like a dead end position.

Basically everyone in my office is just processing papers through, but not really making a big difference with anything. No ones incompetent in my office so far, so I cant really shine. Also my job is kinda complicated and specialized, so im worried that I could get trapped like my department super is. It took her two years to become supervisor, she hates it, and she only supervises one person, me. I dont even think that counts. I dont even think she could parlay that. Im not motivated to ride it out until I get paid more...I can still do the good job Ive been doing, but i have no idea what could happen, because this is all new to me. I havent worked in an office environment before. I want to make more of a difference.

So I know its time to move on and try to find something else, but I dont have the experience to get a better job than I have now. I got lucky with this one. Im sure I can easily get a customer service job, possibly alongside an unmotivated staff, but if that doesnt work out, all Ill get from there is customer service jobs. I dont have a specialized degree, and I dont have any special area that I am looking to work in. i kinda like the idea of becoming good at something ive never tried before. But puddle jumping jobs doesnt look good on a resume. So what do i do?

It sounds like to me it is time for a job change! I actually work for a small business with only about 4-5 employees and one boss. We don't get benefits, paid holidays or anything. It's fine if you are looking to gain experience or go to school while working, but not somewhere you'd be for 10 years, because there is no promotional opportunities you'd have in a big company. I get paid decently considering my lack of experience, so I will stick it out until I have more experience under my belt and/or get into my career field after school. One of my coworkers is quitting after 4 years, simply because he never once got a raise and wants to advance in his career. He has a college degree and everything and decided that he needed to find a job that will allow him growth opportunities. If you cannot find that at your current job and it's making you unhappy, you are better off looking for another position where you have better opportunities for advancement, especially since you said you took a job with low pay post college. Now may be that chance for you to move forward with your experience and get that more deserved pay. Consider this, do you know other graduates making considerably more than you now? If so, you might have a chance. My husband is in this grind as well. He only got 3 months of administrative experience before being laid off due to seasonal business decline. But the problem is most other employers want at least a year of admin experience. He was initially thinking of staying at least 6 months and then applying for another job, but now he has no choice. He wasn't getting paid much for having an AA degree, but it was experience. You might have to stick it out at your job for at least 6 months to a year and you might be able to find another job easier with more experience versus a few months of experience. Good luck!

Edited by setsenia

I wouldn't jump ship until I knew where my interests lie & what I wanted to do. (You sound like you're not sure.) A big part of a successful career is learning how to bloom where you're planted... as well as the other side of the coin, don't be afraid to leave a company in order to pursue your passion.

And don't worry about the puddle-jumping thing. Do what you love, and the money (and promotions) will come.

• Author
Consider this, do you know other graduates making considerably more than you now? If so, you might have a chance.

I dont know what any other graduates are making, but Im not worried about money, Im worried about shining. If I shine, the advancement will come, and so will the money. I guess all I can do is interview, and try to ask the right questions and read the interviewer to see how the particular department is running.