Do You Love Your Job?

It seems common for people to bitch about their jobs or be generally unhappy with work. I am no exception. However, whenever I do come across someone who proclaims that they "love their job and love life", I'm always a little intrigued, if not slightly envious.

My question to the peanut gallery: do you love your job? If so, why; as in, what are the specific factors that allow your happiness to flourish because of (or in spite of) your job?

Yes, I really love my job :love::love::love:

The main reason is that it gives me lots of opportunities to learn about things I'm interested in. A second reason is that I have a lot of freedom (both in how I work, when I work, and how I orient my work). A third reason is that I can support people with developing their capacities. A fourth is that I work with some people that I really admire and look up to.

I could have had a different job and made more money. I left my last job and took a 50% pay cut to do what I'm doing now. It was worth it :)

• Author

The main reason is that it gives me lots of opportunities to learn about things I'm interested in. A second reason is that I have a lot of freedom (both in how I work, when I work, and how I orient my work). A third reason is that I can support people with developing their capacities. A fourth is that I work with some people that I really admire and look up to.

I could have had a different job and made more money. I left my last job and took a 50% pay cut to do what I'm doing now. It was worth it :)

Thanks for the response. :)

It's funny, because the things you mentioned that make you happy seem to be the exact opposite of my current job situation-my work is generally tedious and uninteresting to me, company is pretty restrictive in how they treat their employees despite being in a "professional" field (engineering), I relate to very few people that I work with, and the work we do generally seems to end up with our clients complaining that they didn't get the Taj Mahal for pennies.

Let's just say that I'll be looking for some very different things in my next job.

Being perfectly frank, I don't know anyone who loves their job. Sure, I've met people who like certain aspects of it, or don't mind it, but never anyone who would not change a thing about it. And isn't that what love is supposed to be all about? :D

I know a programmer who loves to code, but he says office politics are ****ed up, the ones who advance are not usually the good coders, and he doesn't like the people he has to deal with. The bf works in the hospital, he has a great passion for his job, but he doesn't like the long unpaid hours and tremendous workload. Another person I know is a financial analyst, he loves the job spec but doesn't like never having time for anything else since he gets back at 9pm everyday.

Doesn't make me feel very optimistic about my future job, TBH.

• Author
Being perfectly frank, I don't know anyone who loves their job. Sure, I've met people who like certain aspects of it, or don't mind it, but never anyone who would not change a thing about it. And isn't that what love is supposed to be all about? :D

I know a programmer who loves to code, but he says office politics are ****ed up, the ones who advance are not usually the good coders, and he doesn't like the people he has to deal with. The bf works in the hospital, he has a great passion for his job, but he doesn't like the long unpaid hours and tremendous workload. Another person I know is a financial analyst, he loves the job spec but doesn't like never having time for anything else since he gets back at 9pm everyday.

Doesn't make me feel very optimistic about my future job, TBH.

Well, I've learned that there's always going to be something that bugs you about your work situation (and if not, you're a rare and lucky person, indeed). However, I'm at a point now where it feels like the negatives outweigh the positives so much that I fear I'm nearing critical mass with this crap... :( Doesn't help that my bosses like to pass blame downwards instead of taking personal responsibility for the leadership roles that they get paid a **** ton for.

(Sorry about all my griping, btw. I'm just fuming at the moment. It's one of those days where it's all I can do to keep from quitting on the spot and telling everyone to go **** themselves)

tmannn!!:laugh: Hi! Havent seen you here in a while so i'm stoked :D

I think the word love is a bit too strong to describe how I feel about my job, but I like it very much! Here are the reasons why:

- It is very close to my home, about 4 city blocks

- It's M-F so my weekends are free

- I don't sell anything. In fact, I assist people with health-related issues and this makes me feel good at the end of the day

- I never bring my work home, whatever stress I feel from work stays there

- I have pretty rad co-workers who are all young, intelligent and compassionate

- I have a lot of flexibility with my schedule (can start my day early or later)

- There is a lot of room for advancement, I was given a significant promotion in 6 months and look forward to my next one;)

- We get free lunch once a week and our kitchen is always fully stocked with all sorts of goodies, we even have a game room where we can unwind during lunch (play fooze ball, shoot some hoops, play air hockey or darts!)

- My bosses own the company I work at and they are very involved with the company. They are obscenely wealthy but are very down to earth and take an interest in our welfare. We all got to watch the world series (gO gIANTS!) from their yacht right outside the ballpark in 2010 which was friggin awsooooomme!! They belong to all sorts of fancy schmancy clubs and they take a group of us (it's rotated) to lunch once a month and we can drop their names if we ever choose to go on our own and receive special treatment;) Our Christmas parties are off the hook crazy and we all get the royal treatment!

Anyway... I'm bragging (sorry). Here are the things I DON'T like so much about my job:

- We do not get health benefits... Ironic since we work in the healthcare industry! :confused: But I guess since it is a very small company (about 30 employees total) they are not required to offer health benefits to employees. I have independent health coverage which is a little costly, and I find myself having to abstain from potentially harmful activities because I dread any possible injuries and their financial cost to me. I recently turned down going ice skating cause I'm not good at it and it will most likely result in a busted ankle lol!... Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy life and take some risks, but I def. weigh the pros and cons first!

- The building where I work at is very open (kind of like a big garage) so it gets very hot in the summer and super cold in the winter (we do have air conditioning and heating but it doesnt seem to do much).

- We get damn near every holiday off but it is not paid:mad: Also it takes forever to build up vacation (after one year of working here I had just 4 days of paid vacation) The good thing I guess is that I can take off anytime I want for as long as I want... I just wont be paid:(

And there you have it, my pros and cons to my job. Do I love it? Nooooo... not really, but do I like it and am I happy working here? YES!

Hope this insight helps you out somehow Tman!:)

Well, I've learned that there's always going to be something that bugs you about your work situation (and if not, you're a rare and lucky person, indeed). However, I'm at a point now where it feels like the negatives outweigh the positives so much that I fear I'm nearing critical mass with this crap... :( Doesn't help that my bosses like to pass blame downwards instead of taking personal responsibility for the leadership roles that they get paid a **** ton for.

(Sorry about all my griping, btw. I'm just fuming at the moment. It's one of those days where it's all I can do to keep from quitting on the spot and telling everyone to go **** themselves)

If you feel so strongly about it, why do you not? How are your savings like and do you think you could find another job?

• Author

Hey Lil1!

Thanks for the very detailed response! :)

Getting to work with a group of individuals closer to my age would be so wonderful!!

I'm lucky that I have one friend at work (around my age) who I can somewhat relate to. Unfortunately, she's become so fed up lately with things too that it seems like all she does is complain to me (which is sort of ironic, considering this thread :laugh:). While I think that she's correct about this company being sort of screwed up, it gets draining being constantly surrounded by both negativity from her and negativity from my bosses. It's like as soon as I step foot in here that it's one big swirling **** storm of people either blaming me for stuff that wasn't my fault for complaining to me about things that I have no control over.

I had told myself a couple of months ago that unless I got a big ol' raise at the end of the year, that I'm outtie. Unfortunately, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that they probably couldn't pay me enough to weigh the odds for staying.

It sucks because I don't want to leave the area, and I'm not necessarily looking forward to being a "new guy" again, but I'm starting to worry that I'm not going to have any upward mobility in my career without leaving. I guess I'll see in a month or so...

• Author
If you feel so strongly about it, why do you not? How are your savings like and do you think you could find another job?

I feel that I could probably get another job (I have an engineering degree, I'm an EIT, and I have 3 years of real world experience), but I haven't done enough research (yet) to find out what's ACTUALLY out there and whether or not it'd be better than what I have going now. I've had my head buried in this cubicle for the last 3 years.

My savings aren't great by any means, but I could make a move. The biggest thing holding me back is my promise to myself to see whether or not a promotion or raise is in store come this December. In about a month, I should know what sort of direction I need to head.

(Hi Lil1!! :bunny:)

tee, the bad parts of my job don't overshadow the good.

So, yes, though it comes with an absurd amount of pressure, I love my job.

Why?

• The environment is designed to foster creativity which means unique work, eating, self-care, and entertainment spaces.

• There is no shortage of resources and objects with which to fill a day with shenanigans (and the best part is, shenanigans are tolerated).

• The place is saturated with off-beat, playful, highly-educated, hilarious, and talented people.

• We feel we're on the cutting edge of things and everyone strives to stay there.

• My team is particularly tight and we socialize outside of work.

• Upper management is highly supportive of my process.

• My insane schedule is nonetheless very flexible.

• I can be at the ocean in under 30 minutes.

However...

because of the increasing pressure, I know I'll eventually burn out.

In the meantime though, the adrenaline and the fun makes it worth it.

Go after what you love, t.

You have such a fun, kooky side, the LAST place I imagine you working is a dull place with lots of structure.

Edited by cerridwen
It's like as soon as I step foot in here that it's one big swirling **** storm of people either blaming me for stuff that wasn't my fault for complaining to me about things that I have no control over.

Daaam T... sounds like you are very unhappy with your current job situation right now :( This is a very stressful time of the year so that may be adding to your current situation. I think it's really important that you speak with someone you trust at work and who is in a position to help you out because there is nothing sh*ttier than having to devote much of your time to a job you can't stand. If you are unhappy I def. recommend you take action. Start cleaning up your resume and research into other companies - network network network! It really is all about who you know these days!

It sucks because I don't want to leave the area, and I'm not necessarily looking forward to being a "new guy" again, but I'm starting to worry that I'm not going to have any upward mobility in my career without leaving. I guess I'll see in a month or so...

Being the "new guy" should be the least of your concerns Tman, you're a rockstar and you'll make friends anywhere I'm sure. Not knowing whether you will have upward mobility within your company IS a big concern though and you should def. address this. Having an engineering dgree is a HUGE plus for you Tman, pretty much your field will always be in high demand so you have quite a few more options than say someone with a politcal science degree (lol! yeah... I hate politics and majored in that cause I thought I wanted to be a lawyer someday, that is until I actually experienced 'the real world' :rolleyes:).

Tman, I don't really know you but I somehow feel confident that you will pull through this rough patch and come out successful in whatever endeavors you pursue. Just take your time and don't get too worked up. The negative impact stress can have on your life is sooo not worth it. Think positively Tman and enjoy the holidays!!:cool:

--------------------

Hi sexy mamasita surfer babe Cerri!! Sounds like you are well suited for your job and I'm happy you enjoy it dear! ;)

Shenanigans shenanigans shenanigans! lol... I love that word! One more time just for fun... Shenanigans!:D

I'm lucky that I have one friend at work (around my age) who I can somewhat relate to. Unfortunately, she's become so fed up lately with things too that it seems like all she does is complain to me (which is sort of ironic, considering this thread :laugh:). While I think that she's correct about this company being sort of screwed up, it gets draining being constantly surrounded by both negativity from her and negativity from my bosses. It's like as soon as I step foot in here that it's one big swirling **** storm of people either blaming me for stuff that wasn't my fault for complaining to me about things that I have no control over.

That sucks!

I've been a geologist for 32 years. I'd do it all over again.

Then again, I like the outdoor life...Nature...hiking ,etc. I'm a science geek and geology let's me be in my element.

Beautiful.

I wanted to work in Yosemite just to be outdoors all day.

If you are unhappy I def. recommend you take action. Start cleaning up your resume and research into other companies - network network network! It really is all about who you know these days!

Good advice, Lil!

Nothing makes one feel better about a crappy situation then taking action to change it.

Hi sexy mamasita surfer babe Cerri!! Sounds like you are well suited for your job and I'm happy you enjoy it dear! ;)

Shenanigans shenanigans shenanigans! lol... I love that word! One more time just for fun... Shenanigans!:D

I'm telling you, shenanigans should be a part of everyone's work day.

Laughter brightens the soul.

But you already know that, don't you, Lil?

You little ray of sunshine. :)

I'll phrase it this way instead...

There has never been a single day in over 30+ years at the same job that I woke up and didn't want to go to work..

In fact I can't wait to go to work everyday... early many days too..

Sure.. there are times I wish things didn't go the way they do at work but at the end of the day I'm waiting and ready for tomorrow.

The day that I dread going work is the day I hang it all up and change directions..

Hey Lil1!

Thanks for the very detailed response! :)

Getting to work with a group of individuals closer to my age would be so wonderful!!

I had told myself a couple of months ago that unless I got a big ol' raise at the end of the year, that I'm outtie. Unfortunately, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that they probably couldn't pay me enough to weigh the odds for staying.

Sounds like change is due ( even if you get a pay rise and things pick up for a month or two you will eventually end up back where you are now!!

I run my own business, got a business partner that is a complete waste of space and holds me back,(for instance not had a day off/ holiday in 7 years as he is too selfish to cover for me and run the place if im not around) done all the mad hours (100 hour weeks for most of my twentys, 34 now) used to really love what i do and the hours but last 18 months have started to realize that something is missing from my life and things cant go on as they are and the last 3/4 months iv taken a really hard look at where im going on both a business and personal level. still not got the answers but all of us should work to live and not live to work..

In my case if i was working for someone else and it wasnt my own business i would have been out of the door three months ago!!

I don't LOVE my job but I like it. It is a 10 minute drive up the road, the pay is more than decent, great co-workers, lots of chances for cash bonuses each pay period, and the managers are very organized and easily approachable.

Like most people I'm sure, I'd rather strike it rich and not have to rely on working ever again.:cool:

Like most people I'm sure, I'd rather strike it rich and not have to rely on working ever again.:cool:

Count me among the exceptions to that. Maybe I'm the fool in the crowd (and many people I know express the same desire as Pyro), but I would be at a loss, directionless, if I didn't have a job to go to where I could make meaningful contributions and earn my keep.

I strongly doubt my own ability to be a good & effective rich person. :D

Yes (to answer the OP's question) I do love my job. This is Normal Mode for me, always has been. The few times in my career where I've landed a job I didn't like, I did not last long there. I just can't do it if I don't love it. It is incomprehensible to me to go to a job & work there all day, every day for the sole purpose of "working to live." My work is an essential part of who I am, and if I didn't love it I would feel like a Dead Man Walking.

It is incomprehensible to me to go to a job & work there all day, every day for the sole purpose of "working to live."

I'm not sure how it is there, but in many countries, this pretty much is the reality of it. ;) Humans need money to buy food and shelter, and thus working for one's survival is often imperative, regardless of how much or how little passion one has for their job.

What else would you recommend that people with no stable money-making hobbies do?

How long have you been doing it?

I've been a geologist for 32 years. I'd do it all over again.

Are you retired?

Edited by DreamHisGirl

I used to love my current job and the challenges in it. But then I put in for a promotion and the response knocked me down a peg. They pretty much said I did a good job, but I wasn't special. That anybody would produce in my position.

Apparently I'm doing too good a job. I work so quickly and quietly that they have no idea the enormous work load I do. Their response to my promotion request was completely insulting. My numbers are insanely good in a recession economy. I had to work 3-times as fast to raise 50% more money, but I did it.

I'm now quietly on the job market.

• Author
I used to love my current job and the challenges in it. But then I put in for a promotion and the response knocked me down a peg. They pretty much said I did a good job, but I wasn't special. That anybody would produce in my position.

Apparently I'm doing too good a job. I work so quickly and quietly that they have no idea the enormous work load I do. Their response to my promotion request was completely insulting. My numbers are insanely good in a recession economy. I had to work 3-times as fast to raise 50% more money, but I did it.

I'm now quietly on the job market.

While I do think that everyone (including myself) is replaceable, I definitely feel ya. I often get the sense that my supervisors forget the fact that it's us lackeys that are doing the real leg work...

To the rest of you: thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I know I don't start a lot of threads here, but your responses really highlight that there's a lot more to job happiness than a paycheck.

I'm definitely more cooled off since yesterday (thank you, hard workout :cool:), but as I stated yesterday, I'm still keeping my eyes wide open for new opportunities. I've drawn a line in the sand, so to speak. Since this is my first "big boy" job since college, I knew going into it that I would likely not be here my entire career. Knowing when to move on is probably one of the better skills one can learn in life.

I like my job a lot. Reasons why, in no particular order:

--Lots of room for advancement/moving around within the company

--M-F, 8 hours a day, weekends are free

--Current schedule isn't the most ideal (12:30-9 P.M.) but on the bright side I get to get things done around the apartment before I leave, and I can completely relax when I get home :D

--Paid major holidays, short volunteer shifts on minor holidays

--Everyone I work with is really cool and helpful

--I made new friends who I socialize with outside of work

--There's always at least one thing I can laugh about at the end of the day

--Quarterly incentives (up to $1000)

--It's close to my building, so I can walk every day

It's frustrating and annoying sometimes, sure--what job isn't? But generally, I am very happy there and I can see myself being there for awhile.

My question to the peanut gallery: do you love your job?

Love it enough to do it for free, which I'll be doing today.

If so, why; as in, what are the specific factors that allow your happiness to flourish because of (or in spite of) your job?
Freedom and unfettered ability to create and build new and tangible things for the world, even if insignificant to most people.
Count me among the exceptions to that. Maybe I'm the fool in the crowd (and many people I know express the same desire as Pyro), but I would be at a loss, directionless, if I didn't have a job to go to where I could make meaningful contributions and earn my keep.

I strongly doubt my own ability to be a good & effective rich person. :D

Season tickets for the Tigers during baseball season and traveling around the world during the off-season.:cool:

A guy can dream though.:laugh:

How long have you been doing it?

About three years. I've loved a lot of the others jobs I've had, too. I agree with OpenBook, I would work even if I didn't need the money as long as it's the right job.

Season tickets for the Tigers during baseball season and traveling around the world during the off-season.:cool:

What if you could only afford 1 season ticket ? What would CE do with herself ? :laugh: