LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Do You Love Your Job?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th November 2011, 5:54 PM   #31
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltc View Post
.. I don't get weekends off or vacations or holidays and I'm at it 24 hours/day, 7 days/week. Every morning I wake up and start being retired for another day.....

But I like it better than any job I've help previously....
Hahahaha. My parents retired recently. I was driving home from a fishing trip with my dad, and while chatting he casually mentioned "yeah, I'm starting to see how it'd be easy to abuse alcohol [when retired]".

I guess staying busy when you have 24 hrs a day to do whatever you please is tougher than it seems...
tman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 6:07 PM   #32
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman666 View Post
Hahahaha. My parents retired recently. I was driving home from a fishing trip with my dad, and while chatting he casually mentioned "yeah, I'm starting to see how it'd be easy to abuse alcohol [when retired]".

I guess staying busy when you have 24 hrs a day to do whatever you please is tougher than it seems...
Heh, I personally never had trouble with that. Plenty of hobbies to do, skills to learn, social life to catch up with, could even make a bit of money on the side.
Old 17th November 2011, 6:29 PM   #33
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elswyth View Post
Heh, I personally never had trouble with that. Plenty of hobbies to do, skills to learn, social life to catch up with, could even make a bit of money on the side.
Yeah, it seems inconceivable to me as well... But I guess I've never been there, so how would I know?
Old 17th November 2011, 6:33 PM   #34
Established Member

Really? Have you never had a summer holiday or something?
Elswyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 6:50 PM   #35
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elswyth View Post
Really? Have you never had a summer holiday or something?
Sorry, poor wording on my part.

What I meant is that it seems crazy that a person would let themselves get bored. I agree with you that there are just so many things to do that sitting around being bored doesn't really jive with my way of thinking.

My other point was that perhaps it gets harder to fill your days when they are wide open for a long period of time (as in years, not a couple of months in summer).
Old 17th November 2011, 6:56 PM   #36
Established Member

Oh, yes, certainly. I guess I'm one of the unlucky few who may have to 'work to live', since I cannot fathom enjoying doing something, no matter how much I like it, for a fixed 8 hours every single day.

Let's hope my freelancing actually takes off....
Elswyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 10:05 PM   #37
Established Member

Journal Entries: 1
That list tman, is pretty reasonable.
You may not get all five sure, but #4 and #5 have been givens any place I've worked as a professional.
Take heart in knowing your workplace misery can largely be attributed to poor management and when you skate---hasta baby.
No more dealing with any of THAT.

While I hope you get that raise, consider still looking elsewhere.
Life's too short not to spend 40+ hours a week doing something meaningful to us.

Last edited by cerridwen; 17th November 2011 at 10:12 PM..
cerridwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 10:58 PM   #38

The job I have now sucks. But it doesn't pay horrible. The hours are reasonable. Also I get away with reading books a lot.

My dream job would be something cool like adventurer with lots of free time and the money to do what ever I want.
Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 11:30 PM   #39
Established Member

Journal Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Critic View Post
What if you could only afford 1 season ticket ? What would CE do with herself ?
I would be a millionaire so I am pretty sure that I could afford two.

Worse case scenario she could hang in Greektown while I am at the games.
Old 17th November 2011, 11:49 PM   #40
Established Member

I don't know if I would say that I LOVE my job but I am definitely so very thankful for it.

My co-workers are some of my closest friends, my boss treats me well, I get good benefits and make enough.

Of course there are bad days but truth be told, I'm very fortunate in the job department.
Old 18th November 2011, 10:36 AM   #41
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerridwen View Post
Life's too short not to spend 40+ hours a week doing something meaningful to us.
True. Dat. We only get 1 shot.

Thanks for your support and understanding, Cerridwen!
Old 19th November 2011, 8:14 AM   #42
Established Member

Quote:
It seems common for people to bitch about their jobs or be generally unhappy with work. I am no exception. However, whenever I do come across someone who proclaims that they "love their job and love life", I'm always a little intrigued, if not slightly envious.

My question to the peanut gallery: do you love your job? If so, why; as in, what are the specific factors that allow your happiness to flourish because of (or in spite of) your job?

I have only read your OP and will comment on that:

I love my job because I help people with their health care.

I've served ppl from routine health care appointments to ppl in end stage cancer treatment.

I treat them all with respect and love to interact with them from all stages of health and life.

I love meeting them from all around the my area and helping them in their health care needs.

I wouldn't trade it for any other profession.
Old 19th November 2011, 1:27 PM   #43
Established Member

Quote:
It seems common for people to bitch about their jobs or be generally unhappy with work. I am no exception. However, whenever I do come across someone who proclaims that they "love their job and love life", I'm always a little intrigued, if not slightly envious.

My question to the peanut gallery: do you love your job? If so, why; as in, what are the specific factors that allow your happiness to flourish because of (or in spite of) your job?
Love would be too strong a word for how I feel about my job.

I'm content. I'm happy. I'm satisfied. I feel fulfilled.

I'm also grateful to have a job at a down time in our economy.

My current boss is good. He has an easy disposition. Never gets upset. Doesn't micromanage. Has an open door policy so you can talk with him without feeling like you're wasting his precious time. He's fair to all the employees so there's no favoritism. I don't know how much of a bonus my co-workers received, but ever since I started working for him, I've gotten a good bonus at the end of each fiscal year.

My co-workers are all very well-educated. We get along as a team. Some of them have their quirks, but I can overlook those. They are professional and with the exception of one person, they pull their weight. I am the second youngest person in my department. At times I wish we had more people in my age range, but again it's not a big issue for me. I like being able to tease them about not knowing their cultural references because I wasn't even alive back then.

I get a generous benefits package. The ongoing training is wonderful. I get to travel, but I usually opt for one or two trips a year. The projects themselves are intellectually stimulating and challenging. Each project is different. I can leave my work at work. I don't need to come in on the weekends or work past 6 pm.

All the things I've mentioned above didn't exist at one of my previous worksites. I had a bad boss, horrible co-workers, etc so all the more reason I'm happy where I am now.

Last edited by Afishwithabike; 19th November 2011 at 1:31 PM..
Afishwithabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 3:09 PM   #44

tmann - I work for engineering companies too - they are all the same the way you describe yours.

My degree is in graphic design and marketing, unfortunatly, I had a mild stroke some years back and my creativity and 'enthusiasim' centers of my brain were lost to me. I could enjoy my current work but for the industry. I've thought about changing and looking in other industries where my current skills could be used, but I'm a baby-boomer and it would require some additional college courses (or a vocational school) and I would be starting at the bottom. The cost of starting over would not be relevant because it would take me 10 - 15 years to get back to my current salary and by then I'll be retired (or dead!).

I think there are people who love what they do - but just like human relationships, there will always be bumps in the road - but that's all they are & with a little work and understanding and maybe adjusting your trojectory - you get past them and forget about them.

My boss (who I very much liked - and he liked me) was recently demoted due to a restructure in the entire company. Now I report to someone who did not hire me and does not care for me - we don't 'click' like I did with the man who hired me. that happens a lot in business. I was told I have until next Wednesday to make some changes or I will be terminated. He wants me out and I must comply with his new management requirements. I'm doing it, but it just about amounts to working for free.

I've been sending out resumes since the management shift and I actually have an interview on Tuesday. It's 50 miles from my house though and unless it's spectacular, I may not be able to do it. I'm getting older and its getting more difficult to make such long trips (eyesight, reflexes, and plain nerves) on the freeways. It may be too stressfull - then again, no income and losing everything is stressfull too!

It sounds like you are young enough to make some changes - start looking and interviewing NOW while you are still working. Stop thinking about the bad situations at your job and think "If I could do something different to have avoided ______________ situation, what would it have been?" You will take that new knowledge with you to a new position and be better able to accept and/or handle it.

Good Luck to you
HokeyReligions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 4:52 PM   #45
Established Member

Quote:

I did have a job during different spaces in time that I totally loved, does that count?

Tman, those that say they love life, I am thinking that is a day by day thing. I can't imagine someone loving their life when going through extreme difficulty...certainly they can appreciate many things, although it would take a person who has been through a WHOLE lot to love life all of the time.