Deal with an unprepared friend

WhiteChocolate

Hi, I'm a female college student.

I joined an organization a month ago. An acquaintance was involved with it last year. She approached me yesterday talking about running for a leadership position. To be honest, even though I am relatively new, I have made much more effort to be involved and thus know more people than she does. I am also beginning to become invested in this org. I am concerned that she just wants a position for her resume rather than to really be willing to work the position and move our organization forward.

She was concerned about me running for the leadership position against her. I still haven't decided which position to run for, but for the good of the organization, should I try to stop her from running? Or should I support her and if she is elected, try to use our friendship to pressure her into being more active?

I don't think you should use your friendship to pressure her into doing anything nor do I think you should stop her from running. It's her choice and no matter how knowledgeable you think you are about the organisation and its issues, it's not your place to decide what you think is in the organisation's best interest. Unless you are in a leadership position.

So run and 'let the best woman win'. Be gracious whether you win or not - presumably, you still want your friendship to be intact after all this over. If not, I guess it's every woman for herself.

• Author
WhiteChocolate
I don't think you should use your friendship to pressure her into doing anything nor do I think you should stop her from running. It's her choice and no matter how knowledgeable you think you are about the organisation and its issues, it's not your place to decide what you think is in the organisation's best interest. Unless you are in a leadership position.

So run and 'let the best woman win'. Be gracious whether you win or not - presumably, you still want your friendship to be intact after all this over. If not, I guess it's every woman for herself.

Thanks, this is great advice! I probably got ahead of myself a bit. I bolded what really stuck out to me and will keep it in mind.